Was this guy being a dick or am I overreacting?

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 04:40 pm
Sorry it's so long, but i would appreciate if you would read and answer.

When I was little I loved to write stories and draw all kinds of things for the kids in my art class and every kid in that class thought they were amazing. My teacher would congratulate me on my work and then she would even read my books to the class. Since I felt like I was a good drawer and writer, I joined a site called deviantart when I was about 9 years old. I was never causing any problems between anyone or anything, I was just there to share my art with others and make friends. A lot of nice people there encouraged me to do better and made me feel so proud of myself for sharing my art and being creative, so one day I decided to write a story about my two childhood characters named Sniffy and Cowy (they were my my favorite dolls.) The night I finished the story I was so excited that I just couldn't wait to show my friends and I was running to my parents and telling them that I just finished writing yet another story about Sniffy and Cowy. (I used to write and draw about them all of the time in real life).

A few people told me they loved it, but one of my 'friends' decided to tell me it was terrible. Well, it turns out he was never my friend, I was just to stupid to realize he was only making fun of me along with his girlfriend who also pretended I was her best friend. Behind my back they would imitate me and talk about how I draw like a 2 year old. I was even so excited when he animated my characters for me, but it wasn't just a nice, friendly gift. It was apart of his asshat productions which is made to make fun of people. Edit [Moderator]: Link removed

Anyway, here’s what he said: Edit [Moderator]: Link removed

I remember the moment after reading this, I was feeling so shocked and so heartbroken. I was feeling so crushed that I went into my parents room in tears and spent the rest of the night sobbing while my dad and mom tried to comfort and hug me until I fell asleep. I never wanted to go back on that site for so long because I felt like a horrible artist. I couldn't believe what a harsh, insensitive comment my 'friend' would just make out of no where after he claimed for so long that he loved my AWESOME characters and my AMAZING, WONDERFUL art. I was just waiting for him to tell me he was joking or something, because every time I thought about it, I cried.

Now that I’m older, I realize he didn't ever see me as an artist, a friend, or anything but a joke. Most of his compliments were sarcasm to entertain all of his fans who thought it was just hilarious how people like me can view themselves as an artist of any kind. I also now realize that the story was terrible along with my art, but is it just me who thinks it was a little to cruel? When I thought about it a few weeks ago I thought maybe I was just being dramatic since I was so young and I didn't know how to take criticism, but after finding it and reading it again, even now it seems hurtful. He was just being a dick, not offering any constructive criticism or saying "Oh, you could improve on a few things...” Maybe I’m being a crybaby, and should let it go, but I was 9 for god’s sake. I think it was a cruel thing to do to a child who loved sharing her work with others and dreamed of becoming a good writer artist, especially if they thought you were their friend. My 6 year old sister hopes to become an artist one day too, and I can't imagine anyone crushing her dreams like the way he did mine.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,497 • Replies: 4
No top replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 05:07 pm
@Bobblepook,
Bobblepook wrote:
Was this guy being a dick or am I overreacting?

I'd say "being a dick".

But there are such people everywhere in life. You can't let the cruelty of evil people get your spirit down. You have to just recognize that they are cruel and evil, and then not give any credence to anything they say.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 07:25 am
I don't know, but I do know we didn't need to read all that. You could have summed up your situation in a few sentences.
oralloy

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 03:48 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
I don't know, but I do know we didn't need to read all that. You could have summed up your situation in a few sentences.

Oh come on. It was someone pouring their heart out about a traumatic experience.
0 Replies

xlemonyfreshx

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2012 06:30 am
@Bobblepook,
The mods removed the links so I don't know exactly what was said, but I can tell you one thing with certainty. Any person who would deliberately mock you and make fun of you like that is someone who is not happy with themselves. They shift the focus and ridicule onto another because they don't have to focus on what they don't like about who they are. Focus on the people who did encourage you and forget about this moron and his stupid GF.
0 Replies