Problem with sparking/itching

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 07:52 pm
This may be difficult to explain, but I will try. A few years ago when I was in high school I began to 'spark' while walking to school every day. This 'spark' is best described as a combination of itching and the feeling you get when a body part falls asleep. It occurred all over my body and would last a good 5-10 minutes. After a while though it went away until the beginning of this year, so almost a 4 year hiatus. This 'sparking' came back, and it is more intense than it used to be. It will sometimes be centralized in my hands and feet, but sometimes it will occur all over. It's sort of like being shocked by a friend through static combined with itching. It will last anywhere from 2 minutes to 10 minutes. It is very annoying and causes me to be extremely irritable. Usually it occurs or seems to follow thoughts of embarrassment, anxiousness, guilt, or the feeling you get when you are accused or confronted. Doctors have suggested that it is drug related but it cannot be because it began before drugs were involved. My therapist suggests that it might be something repressed. I just want a solution. Please offer ideas.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,191 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Atom Blitzer

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 08:40 pm
@StaticMan,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paresthesia

See a better doctor.

Quote:
Medications offered can include the immunosuppressant prednisone, intravenous gamma globulin (IVIG), anticonvulsants such as gabapentin or Gabitril and antiviral medication, among others, according to the underlying cause.

In addition to treatment of the underlying disorder, palliative care can include the use of topical numbing creams, such as lidocaine or prilocaine. Care must be take to apply only the necessary amount, as excess can contribute to the condition. Otherwise, these products offer extremely effective, but short-lasting, relief from the condition.

In some cases, rocking the head from side to side will painlessly remove the "pins and needles" sensation in less than a minute. A tingly hand or arm is often the result of compression in the bundle of nerves in the neck. Loosening the neck muscles releases the pressure. Compressed nerves lower in the body govern the feet, and standing up and walking around will typically relieve the sensation. An arm that has "fallen asleep" may also be "awoken" more quickly by clenching and unclenching the fist several times; the muscle movement increases blood flow and helps the limb return to normal. However, in some cases, this clenching action simply exacerbates the discomfort. More rapid relief can sometimes be obtained by gently and systematically massaging the affected area of the body.

Paresthesia caused by shingles is treated with appropriate antiviral medication.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 09:02 pm
@Atom Blitzer,
I'm not so sure this is the answer, but I can get seeing a neurologist about this problem, at least for a consult.
0 Replies