Does freedom of speech excuse preaching hate?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 02:47 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Still, in the same comparative discussion vein, shouldn't we worry about going to extremes such as in the case of the 14 year old Pakistani girl?
Because a 14 year old is accused under adult law?
Or generally because they have blasphemy laws in Pakistan?
Irishk

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 03:14 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Have you read both posts?

We don't prosecute without adequate evidence.
I did, but the article you provided didn't explain why he was set free (a technicality), so I had to get that info from The Google.

He's certainly guilty of stupidity, but I'm still not sure that's a crime. We don't have enough jails lol.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 03:23 pm
@Irishk,
He was being charged under public order offenses, basically stirring up trouble.

It cuts both ways, Moslems have been charged as well.

Quote:
Five Muslim men from Derby have gone on trial for allegedly handing out leaflets calling for gay people to be killed in the first ever prosecution under new legislation making such actions a hate crime.

The men, Ihjaz Ali, 42, Mehboob Hussain, 45, Umar Javed, 38, Razwan Javed, 27, and Kabir Ahmed, 28, are accused of handing out to passersby and posting through letterboxes a leaflet calling for gay people to be given the death penalty, and stating that gay sex is a great sin that leads to hell.

They are accused of stirring up hatred on the grounds of sexual orientation, the first prosecution under new legislation which came into force in March 2010. They deny the charges.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jan/10/muslim-anti-gay-leaflet-hate
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 03:46 pm
Reports are that the americans were killed in a planned attack by islamists...making this a politcal action and not about hate speech.

Re the question: freedom and spacifically free speech allows for all advocacy to include hate. If people don't like hate advocacy then they need to make a better argument for something else.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 03:56 pm
@izzythepush,
OK, both the book-burner and the group of homophobes are repugnant. Maybe incarcerating them will benefit society or maybe it will just drive them underground.

I think I'd want to know who the idiots amongst us are, though.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 04:19 pm
@izzythepush,
And we seem to be fine over here...what an absurd comment izzy
wandeljw

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 04:31 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

wandeljw wrote:

Still, in the same comparative discussion vein, shouldn't we worry about going to extremes such as in the case of the 14 year old Pakistani girl?
Because a 14 year old is accused under adult law?
Or generally because they have blasphemy laws in Pakistan?

By "we" I meant the United States. It would be extreme for the United States to try a 14 year old as an adult AND it would be extreme for the United States to impose theocratic laws concerning blasphemy.

In short, it would be extreme for the United States to follow the Pakistan example.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 04:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

To me, it's the equivalent of shouting "Fire" in a crowded theater. The man who inspired this thread is happily promoting a war with Islam. Why should he be allowed?

Because in our country we cherish free speech, and this video is protected free speech.

I guarantee you that in countries that can be categorized as "Muslim," there are even more provocative expressions of "disagreement" or "hatred," about Christians or Jews...(Hell, in Egypt they kill Coptic Christians).

But according to you the Christians and Jews mut have been guilty.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 04:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
No less absurd than the concept that our liberties are somehow diminished by not being able to spread hate.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 04:50 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

...(Hell, in Egypt they kill Coptic Christians).

In America they kill Sikhs.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 05:57 pm
@izzythepush,
Of course your liberties are diminished by not being able to express certain opinions (whether your opinions are "hate" or not is a matter of judgement).

By restricting free speech you are by definition diminishing liberties.

If you think is is worth it to take away the right to free speech, then say so. I think there is an argument to be made that people should be restricted in order to make society more peaceful.

But stop lying about it. By telling people what they can an can't say you are limiting free speech, and you are taking away liberties that we enjoy in the US.

There is no other way to say this... in the US I am free to express any opinion. In many places in Europe you don't have this freedom.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 06:12 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:
OK, both the book-burner and the group of homophobes are repugnant.
Maybe incarcerating them will benefit society or maybe it will just drive them underground.

I think I'd want to know who the idiots amongst us are, though.
Mandatory I.Q. tests, with public results ????

I dispute jurisdiction.

David
Irishk

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 06:22 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
No, no need for tests. We already know they're idiots just by their actions lol.

(I should say thay r ijits) Smile
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 06:25 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Of course your liberties are diminished by not being able to express certain opinions
(whether your opinions are "hate" or not is a matter of judgement).
George Bush said on TV
that he hated broccoli.

maxdancona wrote:
By restricting free speech you are by definition diminishing liberties.

If you think is is worth it to take away the right to free speech, then say so.
U can VIOLATE that right, but not take it away.

maxdancona wrote:
I think there is an argument to be made that people should be restricted in order
to make society more peaceful.
By WHAT authority????

maxdancona wrote:
But stop lying about it. By telling people what they can an can't say you are limiting free speech, and
you are taking away liberties that we enjoy in the US.

There is no other way to say this... in the US I am free to express any opinion.
In many places in Europe you don't have this freedom.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 06:42 pm
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/A2mtabVCMAAZ_12.jpg

"We condemn insulting the Prophet, but not with terrorism."

Cycloptichorn
Irishk

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 07:11 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Those poor people. I hope they don't get blamed for this. I really do think it was just a small group of 'savage extremists' (think that's what Hillary said).
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 07:13 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
few people have noticed that a government was never formed and the fighting never stopped...barrels per day pumped is as far as we care about the terrorist generating hell hole known as Libya. It will be interesting to see if we like Libya better controlled by al Qaeda than we did gaddafi after we turned on him.

Quote:
Yet this is exactly what Stevens's death may presage. Once again, the western powers have started a fire they cannot extinguish. A year after David Cameron and Nicolas Sarkozy jointly travelled to Libya to lay claim to a liberator's bogus laurels, the Libyan revolution they fanned and fuelled is in danger of degenerating into a chaotic, violent free-for-all.

Do not be misled by the fig leaf of this summer's national assembly polls. Post-Gaddafi Libya lacks viable national political leadership, a constitution, functioning institutions, and most importantly, security. Nationwide parliamentary elections are still a year away. The east-west divide is as problematic as ever. Political factions fight over the bones of the former regime, symbolised by the forthcoming trials of Gaddafi's son, Saif, and his intelligence chief, Abdullah al-Senussi.

Effective central control, meanwhile, is largely absent. And into this vacuum have stepped armed groups – whether politically, religiously or financially inspired matters little – all claiming sectional suzerainty over the multitude of fractured fiefdoms that was, until Nato barged in, a unified state.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/sep/12/libyan-attack-fire-cannot-extinguish

HECK OF A JOB AMERICA!

how much do you want to bet that Putin sent a cable to Hilary along the lines of "so sorry, but I told you so"?
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 08:11 pm
The president of Egypt wants his embassy here in the U.S. to take legal action against the film maker(s) that insulted you-know-who.

What could go wrong?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 09:11 pm
@izzythepush,
No, "they" don't and if some lunatic (as opposed to a mob) does, the US government prosecutes him...if he doesn't kill himself.

Comparing the Egyptian persecution of Coptic Christians to one lunatic's killing spree in America, is absurd, but par for the izzy course.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 09:14 pm
@maxdancona,
You have to understand Max, speech is not a protected freedom in the UK, and izzy being the sort of chauvinist Brit that can't stand American chauvinism, thinks that's just the way it should be.