Does freedom of speech excuse preaching hate?

JTT

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 07:53 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Not a lot of band width, however, is wasted here telling the English, or anyone elase, just how foolish they look when they spew their hysteria.

Actually, you do this quite often, Set. And you don't even realize how hypocritical it makes you look. Of course, the UK has committed atrocious acts, as have Australia, Canada, .... But in the near history, these are all just little toadies clamoring to ingratiate themselves to the one nation that is causing, has caused most of the grief for a good long time.

For Christ's sake, the US is just coming off the illegal/amoral invasion of two sovereign nations. How many millions killed, how many millions of lives ruined, lands destroyed, lives wrecked, and y'all sit silent except for these periodic outbursts from apologists [like you] for crimes against humanity, for the terrorism, for all manner of mayhem perpetrated by the US.

The US is the big dog, the Al Capone, the John Gotti and though there are other criminals, they occupy the background, they are pikers, mere bit players.

If you want them held to account, which is fair in and of itself, you have to be willing to own up to the much greater crimes that have come from US actions.

I know, you just don't possess the necessary honesty to do that. In this, you're hardly alone, right, Farmer, Finn, FireFly, MM, Foofie, [lots of f's], Gob1, IrishK, Joe(I avoid the tough stuff)Nation, Cy, [have I missed anyone Rolling Eyes ] ... ?
Foofie

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 08:00 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Sorry that your love-in with Fluff and Finnbar was so short lived. You've got so much in common, you're all from New York, and misanthropic to the extreme. Maybe the three of you should move in together for some new reality TV show. There's a few catchphrases out there already, your 'sammich,' Fluff's 'in my opinion,' and Finnbar's nostalic remembering of Jim Crow could make you all famous.

Izzyla: However, of the three, I am the last surviving native New Yorker, in its environs. I did not do the "white flight" thing in the early '70's, nor do I really relate well to the others' landsmen left back in NYC. For example, today the Steuben Day parade wends its way up Fifth Ave., and I wouldn't ever want to go to it. Why? You guessed it (elephants don't forget). So, those other two might find the parade interesting, perhaps. I couldn't say for sure; however, I would be fairly sure that they would not have my anathema to the parade, and obviously not for the same reasons.

So, please do not put me in the same category as these other guys. They abandoned NYC, yet I hung on, until someday there might be another Inquisition, and I will have to leave New York soil for not being an authentic New Yorker (white and a secular Jew).

Lastly, if you are not aware, the different white ethnics of NYC have a not uncommon historical antipathy towards each other, except occasionally secular Jews and Italian-Americans can be friends. Why not the others? Too much water under the bridge, perhaps, going back to the late 19th century, and early 20th century. Perhaps, even a natural antipathy, based on cultures that were sort of different before both groups assimilated? Regardless, you can compare me to a NYC Asian, since they are the next successful ethnic group in NYC. That would be a compliment.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 08:19 am
@Foofie,
**** off an die, Miller.
gungasnake

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 08:21 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I admit that when I originally posted I was under the impression that Jones was involved in the production of the film as opposed to the promotion. You waited until the facts became clearer before posting, believing it gave you some sort of advantage. That's how stupid you really are.

I'm stupid because I at least make some effort to know what I'm talking about, and you're smarter than that because you don't, right??

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 10:32 am
@Setanta,
Howta tackle the tough stuff, Pathfinder!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 11:22 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

eurocelticyankee wrote:

...I'd be deeply saddened and disillusioned by the shambles that is organised religion today.

All religion should come with a health warning.

Amen

From the Dalai Lama's FB page...

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/770990/original.jpg

From HuffP
Quote:
The Tibetan religious leader was quoting from a book he published last year, entitled "Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World," in which he argues that religion by itself may no longer provide a satisfactory solution to the ills of the world.

"Any religion-based answer to the problem of our neglect of inner values can never be universal, and so will be inadequate. What we need today is an approach to ethics which makes no recourse to religion and can be equally acceptable to those with faith and those without: a secular ethics," he wrote.

In a review of the Dalai Lama's work, however, the Los Angeles Times notes the 77-year-old Buddhist monk was by no means "denouncing faith," but rather highlighting the need for a universally shared ethos that is rooted in compassion and is relevant in this modern age:

I've had this book on my "purchased, but not yet read" pile for about 6 months. Guess it's time I pulled it to the top of the pile.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 11:26 am
@JPB,
As I've noted earlier, the teaching of morals by all the religions have not resulted in a better humanity.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 11:46 am
Quote:
BHL was referring to the fact that Stevens was a great friend of Libya and of the Muslim/Arab world generally. The imbeciles killed perhaps their bravest advocate in the Western world.

And they killed him (perhaps in part) because of the actions of another imbecile in the United States. One lowlife creates an anti-Islam film that looks like a blend of “The Blair Witch Project” and “Keystone Terrorists,” and the unhappy Muslim world goes ballistic.

I emphasize the word “unhappy” because it is no more accurate to condemn the Muslim world for the atrocities of a relative few than it is to indict America because one lowbrow decides to upload a lousy flick that nobody otherwise would watch or even know about.

Hey, demonstrators: Anybody can make a movie. It doesn’t mean anything.

And by the way, anybody can burn a Koran. Or a Bible. Or smear feces on a crucifix. Or . . . ad infinitum. We tolerate rudeness because the alternative — state-enforced politeness — leads to the guillotine.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/kathleen-parker-in-libya-and-america-imbeciles-affecting-foreign-policy/2012/09/14/df9edab8-fea7-11e1-b153-218509a954e1_story.html?hpid=z2

HEAR! HEAR!

Sadly, far too many Americans have forgotten this. Those among us who have not become stupid should resist caving into Muslim demands and violence WITH VIGOR.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 11:55 am
@hawkeye10,
Forgotten what? That our country with hate speech legislation does not have capital punishment, and yours, with no such legislation executed forty odd people last year, (admittedly not by the guillotine.)

But hey, why let facts get in the way of a good soundbite
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 12:00 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Forgotten what? That our country with hate speech legislation does not have capital punishment

Yet. Your laws are no where near where the enemies of free speech want to take them re retribution for failure to conform to the desires of the state.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 02:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
Not too sure what point you're trying to make. Our laws weren't drafted by those who hate free speech, they were very aware of the importance of free speech, so were very exact about defining hate speech.

There does seem an attitute amongst some of your countrymen, that were things to be tinkered with in any way, the whole lot would come crashing down. If you introduce hate speech legislation, the UN will come in and take over, all your guns will be confiscated, and the next thing you know you're bathing an elderly Chinaman.

Who would you say are the enemies of free speech? I think we can agree on the rulers of authoritarian regimes, but after that who? I think the rich and powerful benefit more from it than they lose out. If Fox News had to adhere to the same standards of non bias as they BBC they'd have an empty schedule. As things stand, they can broadcast as much partisan nonsense as they like.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 02:55 pm
@izzythepush,
Actually, the US also has laws against hate speech. Those offended can bring suit against those who incite violence against any protected group.

roger

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 02:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
If it actually incites violence I believe it is subject to criminal prosecution, without the expense of a lawsuit.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 03:00 pm
@roger,
Can you name one case of such an event?
oralloy

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 03:03 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
oralloy wrote:
I don't accept that the reason they don't like us is because we defend ourselves from them.

If they were not attacking us, we wouldn't be defending ourselves against them.

orallay, we are talking about some of the poorest, most desperate people on the planet.
And you say they are attacking you?

Yes. And they are.

msolga wrote:
You think they might have drones, too? Neutral Confused

No. I think they did 9/11. I think they try to blow up passenger jets mid-flight. I think they kidnap Americans and saw their heads off. I think they just murdered our ambassador to Libya. I think they pour strong acid on the faces of six year old girls to punish them for trying to learn to read. And I think they destroy priceless cultural artifacts and landmarks at every opportunity.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 03:03 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Oralboy prefers dogma to truth. If hate crime were made illegal he'd have absolutely nothing to say. He's the only poster who actually agrees with the message in this film.

He constantly makes things up, and ignores reputable sources preferring his own paranoid imaginings.

You trash shouldn't run around falsely accusing your betters of your own dishonesty.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 03:04 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
izzythepush wrote:
Oralboy prefers dogma to truth. If hate crime were made illegal he'd have absolutely nothing to say. He's the only poster who actually agrees with the message in this film.

He constantly makes things up, and ignores reputable sources preferring his own paranoid imaginings.

I kinda know that, Izzy. Wink

Now wait a minute. Can you show a single place where I am wrong in any of my facts?

msolga wrote:
But being considered a liar, or a misconstruer of the truth (as has happened on this thread today) is quite a different matter.

I can't recall any such accusation before now.

Not nice at all!

Actually, I believe he was accusing you of being misguided and mistaken, not accusing you of intentional deception.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 03:09 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
You waited until the facts became clearer before posting, believing it gave you some sort of advantage. That's how stupid you really are.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 03:10 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
For Christ's sake, the US is just coming off the illegal/amoral invasion of two sovereign nations.

The invasion of Afghanistan is a just, moral, and legal war of self defense.

JTT wrote:
How many millions killed, how many millions of lives ruined, lands destroyed, lives wrecked

I estimate that the collateral damage from Iraq would be no more than 10,000.

It's my own personal estimate, so no need to ask for a cite.

JTT wrote:
for crimes against humanity, for the terrorism, for all manner of mayhem perpetrated by the US.

No such terrorism or crimes against humanity.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2012 03:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Use The Google to look up radio host, Hal Turner.
0 Replies