So Deeps

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 10:16 pm
Context:

In Moonfleet Village

So Deeps the pride of former days - More

The village of Moonfleet lies half a mile from the sea on the right or west bank of the Fleet stream. This rivulet, which is so narrow as it passes the houses that I have known a good jumper clear it without a pole, broadens out into salt marshes below the village, and loses itself at last in a lake of brackish water.

(1) I didn't get what "so deeps" means, and what "more" means here.

(2) Why not use "clears" here?

Another question:

As we pronounce "Let the boy go", we actually leave out "t" in the "let"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 563 • Replies: 3
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 10:32 pm
No, leave the "t" in.

There is a missing apostrophe; it is supposed to be "So Deep's the Pride..." = "So deep is the pride..." = "The Pride is Deep..."

"This rivulet, which is so narrow as it passes the houses that I have known a good jumper clear it without a pole"

Should be

"This rivulet, which is so narrow as it passes the houses that I have known a good jumper to clear it without a pole"

or

"This rivulet, which is so narrow as it passes the houses that I have seen a good jumper clear it without a pole"

"Clear" means "successfully jump over".
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 10:47 pm
Thanks sozobe. Very Happy

Your explanation for "So Deeps" is very clear. But I don't understand why the writer wanted to capitalize "d"? For the purpose of emphasizing "deep"?

Please check out the link
http://www.bibliomania.com/0/0/37/75/frameset.html

and then click the Chapter 1 - In Moonfleet Village.
My suspicion still remains because of the writer didn't capitalize "p" of the "pride".

And, what does "More" mean there?

I knew "clear" means "jump over" there, and suspected "clear" could be replaced with "to clear". Thanks for your confirmation.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 11:01 pm
It looks like a quote -- someone named More (possibly a misspelling of "Moore") -- wrote "So Deeps the pride of former days." As we've discussed before, some literature (poetry and prose) can be purposely ungrammatical. E.E. Cummings, for example, eschewed capitalization and used strange line breaks.
0 Replies