Smith and Wesson Chairman Replaced Over Jesse James past

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 06:56 pm
When I read this, I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. Imagine the chairman of Smith and Wesson being a former armed robber!

Link to Smith And Wesson Story

Quote:
NEW YORK : Legendary US gun manufacturer Smith and Wesson said it had replaced its chairman following newspaper revelations that he had spent up to 15 years in prison for a series of armed robberies.

James Minder, who was appointed to the position of chairman of the board just five weeks ago, would stay on as an independent director, the company said in a statement.

"While recognizing the very serious mistakes in his early life, the board believes that Mr. Minder has led an exemplary life for 35 years and has provided tremendous services to the community," the statement said.

Minder's crime-tainted past -- of which Smith and Wesson was apparently ignorant -- was exposed by the Arizona Republic newspaper earlier this month.

According to the Republic, Minder claimed he had always been open about his background, but had not mentioned it to Smith and Wesson executives on the simple grounds that they never asked.

Minder, 74, served time in prison in the 1950s and 1960s and ultimately confessed to eight armed robberies and an attempted prison escape, according to the Republic.

Minder told the Republic that he had turned over a new leaf after finishing his last prison sentence in 1969, going on to earn a master's degree in social work from the University of Michigan.

Asked why he didn't disclose his past earlier, he told the newspaper, "No one asked the question, so I guess I never answered it. The only thing that would have disqualified me was if I had committed securities fraud in the last 20 years, and I didn't."

Founded 150 years ago, Smith and Wesson boomed during the American Civil War, and its firearms -- particularly its handguns -- have become cultural icons.

However, the guns are also highly prized by criminals and repeatedly turn up on government lists of the top 10 guns used in crimes.

What do you all think about this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 931 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Aldistar

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 07:13 pm
I don't see why he was replaced. Like he said he turned over a new leaf and the past 30+ years should show that.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 07:20 pm
Very ironic...I thought large companies of today did thorough back ground checks on their employees. I must admit that there are people who have done time and paid their dues to society, and are given second chances...but for someone who committed eight armed robberies! This almost sounds like one of those urban legends. Very Happy
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 07:49 pm
Sounds like he should have been made, based on his experience in the field, head of Product Improvement.

j
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 07:58 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 08:47 pm
35 years from prison to Chairman of the Board speaks both of his intelligence and the ability of an individual to change. His problem is public relation for now he would be expected to serve as a spokes person for an industry that provides the tool of his former "profession". Not a image that the gun industry can afford at the moment. I think this is unfortunate (for him, not the gun industry).

On the other hand following up on Joe's observation most companies want their upper management to have a top to bottom familiarity with both the company and the product, and he certainly had the latter.
0 Replies