Hiama is going for Triathlon gold-help sought

hiama

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 04:49 am
I thought if I'm going to do the male menopause thing-I will never see 50 again !- I might as well do it well. So last year weighing around 230 lbs-I am only 5 ft 10 ins-I decided to lose weight-join a gym and get fit.

Some of the benefits have been :-

Waist down from around 40-42ins to 32ins, weight down from 230 lbs to currently 185lbs but still going down, I have boundless energy.

So after 4 months or so of going to the gym I started to do outside stuff like cycling and even started swimming, learning to do freestyle-front crawl at the tender age of 52-last October. As I used to be a fair runner, I thought what can I do that combines cycling, swimming and running-I know I'll enter a Triathlon.

The entry is in for September and I have got to the point where I am fit enought to start training for the Triathlon.

This is where you guys come in.

The Triathlon is an Olympic length one:-

1500m swim in the sea
40 kilometers (25 miles) bike
10km run (6.2 miles)

I really need help especially with the swimming, I have been working on technique but I am so slow. I have read Terry Laughlin's Total Immersion and tried the drills but I have no patience I want it all to work NOW.

So any help with training, kit, anything will be gratefully received on swimming, running and biking.

For my part I will post here weekly my training diary at the end of every week, starting this Sunday.

My first goal is to win my age group category in this first Triathlon in September and longer term to compete in the World Triathlon championships for my age group, which in 2006/7 will be the 55-60
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,510 • Replies: 46
No top replies

safecracker

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 04:54 am
I can't help much untill I know your currant routine, we want to work on endurance and speed without sacrificing muscle mass, for this i need your currant diet and training scedule.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 05:14 am
I can be the provider of moral support and the "WOW" factor
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 05:29 am
Hi Safecracker, I knew I could depend on you, here goes:-

Diet could probably use some help:-

Breakfast everyday is oat bran, oat flakes, flax (linseed), blueberries, soya milk

Veg(broccoli, pepers, courgettes-zuchinis, sweet potatoes, butternit squash, carrots and pasta for the main meal at 5 pm-NO SAUCES- around 3-4 days a week, once or twice a week oily fish-salmon or tuna.
once a week poultry-usually chicken-very occasionally red meat-steak.

Lots of apples and bananas, especially just after workouts-LOADS of water-probably 6 litres a day.

Here's where it goes wrong, I indulge myself once or twice a week in chocolate and a couple bottles of red wine once a week at weekends never in the week.

Training routine-difficult to be prescriptive as I am building it up, I'll give you where I am and where I want to be by say July/August-after that its sharpening up and tapering I guess.

This week- 5 x 1500m swims, 3 x 5 miles + 1 x 7 mile runs, 1 x 20 miles bike + 1 x 30 miles bike. 1 x 3 circuits all major body groups weights in gym-15 reps of around 70% of my capacity. Also whenever I remember I do proper push-ups slow and measured 40 to 50 a go and double crunch sits ups 30 at a time also core body exercises.

By July would want to be doing 40 miles running, 150 miles bike, 12000m swimming, with at least one weight specific session a week, plus keeping up core exercises.

A typical day this week was Monday-ran 5 miles to pool- 1500m in pool-ran 5 miles home from pool. Last Sunday 60 lengths pool-afterwards breakfast and stretching followed by 37 miles on bike-stretching.
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 05:30 am
And on you G for the WOW factor !
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 06:10 am
Hiama--

I'm right next to Gautam in the cheering section.
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 07:10 am
I can see you and looking so spry !
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 10:57 am
Hiama--

Take another look--there's nothing wrong with my mind, but I made a misstep on the ice and have a dandy stress fracture. Still, I only limp when I walk.

Do a lap for me, please!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 12:56 pm
Re: Hiama is going for Triathlon gold-help sought
hiama wrote:

My first goal is to win my age group category in this first Triathlon in September and longer term to compete in the World Triathlon championships for my age group, which in 2006/7 will be the 55-60

Yikes - there's no starting with an ordinary goal, like just finishing, is there? Shocked

If swimming is your problem, you may need some further coaching, perhaps stroke refining. Don't look at me - I'm with G & Letty in the support team.

Mind you - you just may give me some incentive to get off my tail and tackle my health problems.

Go for it, boyo!
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 01:17 pm
Ok, I'm going to work on both your diet and your routine today. I do right now have a swimming tip, it is the amount of strokes which gives or takes speed on the watch. When swimming count your strokes. Read this http://www.insidetri.com/train/water/articles/1550.0.html

also read

http://www.insidetri.com/train/water/articles/634.0.html
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 04:19 am
Thanks Safecracker-I have been scouring the net for info and also have already bought a copy of Terry Laughlins Swimming for Triathlon book which does mention stroke count, balance, head down etc, its just a patience thing I guess. I will have to get slower-in order to reduce my stroke count before I can get faster. My problem is I see all these career swimmers who have been churning laps for years and I try to compete even in training-I need to grow up-forget the others and keep to what I need to do. Thanks again, can't wait for the nutrition and other advice.

Margo-thanks for the support, may need one by the time I finish !!

We have a support team, we have an embryo athlete, now all we need is divine intervention and I'll have it cracked.

In terms of time, I can plan to have around 3 hours - 3 days a week in the week, and around 3-4 hours a day saturday and Sunday so my target wold be around 16 hours a week by July August-currently spending around 8-10 hours , half of which is on swimming, and gradually adding in longer and more bike rides and runs-all aerobic at this stage-nothing anaerobic apart from hills and oh yes-weights
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 04:35 am
hiama- What a wonderful thing that you are doing. Count me in for your cheering section! Very Happy
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 06:12 am
here too Hiama...good luck!
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 09:42 am
AW Shucks Phoenix and Willow, thank you.

A cheerleading section is now a reality !

I was having problems with my swim goggles fogging up and today I took delivery of these fantastic new ones, its like being a kid all over again, its called an Aquasphere Seal Mask and its brilliant Very Happy
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 09:34 am
OK as promised here is my training log for last week:-

Monday: 1000m swim am and 1500m pm, 2 x 5 miles run to pool and back in am
Wednesday:1000m swim am, 5 mile run back from pool
Thursday: 1500m swim am, 15 miles bike pm
Saturday: 1500m swim
Sunday:1500m swim am, 30 mile bike pm

Next week a modest increase, will do a run of around 7 miles in addition to the above and one of the swims will be a continuous one of 1000m, the rest are a mix of drills and technique building lengths at various speeds. One bike session in gym and one very cold one (6 degrees C today) -the long one outdoors-some quite testing hills- 10 to 15% for around 1-2 miles.

Have a wonderful week everyone Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 09:42 am
That is wonderful, hiama!

I once considered a similar goal, but realized that I just hate hate hate running, and being chased by dogs.

Have you got a master's swim team where you swim? When I was still swimming 5 nights a week, I swam with a master's group twice a week. I was always surprised how they slowed things down most of the year.

You've made such great steps already! IronManHiama!

whooooooooohoooooooooooooooo
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 10:02 am
BRAVO, Hiama. As my swimming days are no longer, I can't offer any advice, but please consider me one of the Cheerleading Team. I can still belt out a pretty powerful Siss Boom Bah. Very Happy Good luck!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 10:24 am
Hiama, I'd give up the bottles of red wine. Please wrap them in old newspapers and mail them to me.
I'll share them with the other cheerleaders in the bleachers.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 12:05 pm
Sorry I'm taking so long, just been busy with work. It's comming.
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 01:13 pm
Beth, Raggedy and RealJohnBoy now honorary members of the cheerleasing section of the Hiama Triathlon team.

I intend to do an Ironman after 3 or 4 Olympic size triathlons, possibly the ultimate -Hawaii preceded I hope by New Zealand in 2006, working up to it gradually.

Thanks safecracker-no rush, I have at least 30 sites on my favourites with sound advice, however I know your background will give me some very solid and sound advice.

It seems its all about periodisation. At this early stage I am in the endurance-aerobic low Heart Rate phase of the season and will gradually add intervals, repetitions, and max worksouts nearer the deadline-with higher Heart rate sessions once I have built a sound aerobic base. My overall conditioning from last year in the gym has given me good core strength- 50 proper slow push ups no problem, can do another set within a few minutes and so on. Also can do 10-15 proper chin ups after never being able to do 1 before last year, since school days and repeat after a minute or so rest and so on.
0 Replies