Ridicule of my pupil

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 08:28 pm
I've been helping a neighbor with her English.

Last week she compained that two of her replies, one on the phone and
one among friends were laughed at. What should I tell her?

(1) Someone called on her phone, asking " I want to talk to Setsu".
My friend answered, " This is she".

(2) At a party the host comes in the living room and says " Someone
was asking for a glass of water, who is it? " My friend
answered, " It is I"

I don't want to lose my pupil and I don't want her to be subject to
ridicule. What should I do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,860 • Replies: 31
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 08:33 pm
Teach her proper pronounciation?

Or, if this isn't actually a joke, like Ithought it was....

Why not teach her more casual english rather than proper english.

"this is" or "speaking" upon answering a phone.
"I did, thanks" when asked by the hostess who wanted water.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 08:34 pm
The first one is entirely proper, and is commonly used.

The second one may be proper (I forget), but is not commonly used. "It's me" or "it was me" would be more usual.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 09:12 pm
Ronmac, first of all, very welcome to a2k! Hope you'll like it here!

Second, from what country is pupil? That could perhaps give you some kind of direction in "class". I've been living in Germany for eleven yrs now, and I made a bundle of mistakes in the beginning! All because of the german grammar... Mother tongue grammar is often very different to a foreign language.

In german, for instance, you can end a sentance with up to 4! verbs. That never happened to me in swedish or in english, lemme tell you that!

(had BIG problems in spanishclass....)
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 12:57 am
Welcome Ronmac
Sounds like you were given good advice. I wouldn't have been one to laugh at her for that, but some people will laugh at anything. I agree with Littlek is saying that maybe it would be a good idea to teach her more of the casual english.

The best of luck to you and your student.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 04:32 am
dammit! her english is correct - more correct than that of most english speakers - though nominative after the verb to be appears to be going the way of the dodo.

tell her to be proud!

then teach her how lazy english speakers speak - and let her choose.....
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 04:42 am
Tell her to ignore it....who gives a damn anyway. As long as you get your point across. Proper English my a**.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 04:51 am
art?
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 05:02 am
Maybe art....your guess.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 05:58 am
Her usage is perfectly correct; it's her attitude I question. I'd have answered "Yo!" in both instances. And I'm sure my friend mikey, were he to any extent sober, would likewise -- at least in the first example. In the second he'd be apt to do nothing; look around horrified perhaps.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 06:42 am
I am sober, I don't get the point here. Why would anyone ridicule someone who's English is not 'perfect". Mine is by far from that. I make no bones about it. You get what you see from me. If it's not up to snuff, so be it. My education came from the street and my desire to learn when I could, and I found or made the time to do so while supporting myself at the ripe old age of 15. Granted, I have no Phd. But I tried to do my best under the circumstances.

And what defines perfect these days?

I pass no judgement on anyone.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 07:28 am
(Pssst, Mikey, he means horrified that someone wanted a glass of water . . . )

I always try to speak english with as much propriety as possible in business situations, because the habit assures that one writes the language correctly when called upon to do so. Therefore, if someone calls our company, but does not specifically request an employee by name, i will ask: "To whom did you wish to speak?"

In casual situations, it would depend upon circumstance. If i wished to humiliate someone publicly because i'm ill-tempered, or i think that individual has done something to deserve it, i can almost always use language as a weapon. In a relaxed circumstance, i generally revert to the "oral/aural" english of childhood--what i've heard spoken since i don't know when, just as i oftentimes "write" in that style here.

Know what i mean, doncha?
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 07:40 am
I hear you Setanta, but why even bother? I must be getting really jaded here.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 07:58 am
Sorry for putting words in your mouth, mikey.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 10:35 am
Probably ain't, 'cuz some people are perfect bastids, but it may me that Setsu is mistaking the level of malice in the ridicule, as well. Some cultures (say, for, example, Philadelphia, or Chicago) value friendly ridicule as a form of social interaction, meant to establish a connection rather than to put down; others (say, for instance, Seattle, or Salt Lake City) take everything that's said at face value, and verbal sparring frequently degenerates into confusion and hurt feelings.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 11:33 am
Phone: Wasssup????

Party: Thanks for the water but I really wanted a beer.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 04:05 pm
LOL. I personally think she shouldn't let it bother her so much. Her English was correct and the ones who laughed at her were ignorant. I think the best thing you can do is to explain that to her, so she can see that she was right and they were wrong. There are cruel people everywhere you turn and no matter how you talk, someone somewhere will laugh or have something to say. I just moved to Canada a few years back after living in the Boston area for most of my life and people laugh at the way I talk all the time and I just laugh along with them.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 04:09 pm
I got a lot of laughs from my accent (what accent?) while I lived in georgia. Funny thing is that the people doing the joking were raised, in part, up North.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 04:25 pm
LOL Littlek. Go figure.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 04:35 pm
Goes with what patiodog states above. I'd also like to include italian families with that type of back-handed comraderie.
0 Replies