What's the best anti-virus program out there?

JTT

Mon 3 Sep, 2012 12:09 pm
With all the products available out there, what company has the best overall track record?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 12 • Views: 2,719 • Replies: 14
Topic Closed
No top replies

Atom Blitzer

Mon 3 Sep, 2012 01:58 pm
@JTT,
Dr. Drew Peacock's software called Pen Island. but if you want a free one, I'd go with AVG with comodo firewall
Butrflynet

Mon 3 Sep, 2012 04:18 pm
@JTT,
Many tech support people recommend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaspersky_Lab

That said, you should probably also read this article:

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/03/antivirus/

Here's an excerpt:

Is Antivirus Software a Waste of Money?

Quote:

When it comes to computer security, he’s paranoid — and for good reason. He’s seen what the bad guys can do. But when he met with Wired at the RSA Conference in San Francisco this week, he said something surprising: He doesn’t use antivirus software.

As it turns out, many of his security-minded peers don’t use it either. The reason: If someone is going to try and attack them, they’re likely to use a new technique, one that most antivirus products will miss. “If you asked the average security expert whether they use antivirus or not,” Grossman says “a significant proportion of them do not.”

Dan Guido, the CEO of security startup Trail of Bits also doesn’t use AV. Some security pros use it because they’re in regulated industries, or because they work with customers who require it. “If it weren’t for that,” he says, “almost nobody in the security industry would run it.”

It’s a story we heard again and again at RSA this week. The pros are generally smart enough to avoid the things that will get them hacked — visiting malicious websites or opening documents from untrusted sources. But even if they get fooled, the odds are their antivirus software catching it are pretty low. But many of these pros also believe that antivirus isn’t always that useful to the average business either.

JTT

Mon 3 Sep, 2012 04:45 pm
@Atom Blitzer,
Quote:
Dr. Drew Peacock's software called Pen Island.

According to Wikipedia this doesn't exist, AB. Are you a virus program? Smile
0 Replies

JTT

Mon 3 Sep, 2012 04:48 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks, BFN. I've been doing some reading on this. There sure is a lot to know. For now anyway, I've opted for MicroSoft Essentials.
Atom Blitzer

Mon 3 Sep, 2012 05:13 pm
@JTT,
That is ok, but not the best, and plus I don't trust Microsoft's software other than it's office package and the operating system.

I've downloaded a prgram called Wireshark and went to the library or any place with a free wifi spot will do and just watch it capture packets and lets you browse the network traffic. It's eye opening. So I've put in the two step verification for my gmail account and also got the comodo antivirus for my mac.

So ya the moral of the story is that it's better to have something rather than nothing.
0 Replies

ennysmith

Tue 4 Sep, 2012 06:59 am
Thanks for giving this information.
0 Replies

Alison Wood

Wed 5 Sep, 2012 04:16 am
@JTT,
The best anti virus software that is available is K7. I have been using it since quite a long time now and must say my system has never encountered any problem.It has great security and other powerful features.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Wed 5 Sep, 2012 10:35 am
I needed to find this out myself as the probationary period (Norton) that comes with my new computer will be expiring in less then a month. Ordinarily, I'd say Norton Internet Security suite.

Looked up which internet security suite has the highest reviews on CNET:
Norton Internet Security got 5 stars:
Quote:
The bottom line: Low-impact performance, strong security, and useful features are the hallmarks of Norton Internet Security 2012, one of the best security suites available.

http://download.cnet.com/Norton-Internet-Security-2012/3000-18510_4-10592551.html#ixzz25c7peauT

So it looks like I'll be sticking around with Norton.
smokingunne

Sat 8 Sep, 2012 03:40 pm
@JTT,
I'm very fond of Avast anti-virus. It's light on resources and does a good job.
JTT

Sun 9 Sep, 2012 05:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Looked up which internet security suite has the highest reviews on CNET:
Norton Internet Security got 5 stars:

But only 3 0ut of 5 with actual users. That Cnet site seemed too much like guys plugging stuff just to sell it. Download this download that little boxes all over their site.
0 Replies

JTT

Sun 9 Sep, 2012 05:08 pm
@smokingunne,
Thanks for the info, SG. What I'd like to see is a review by some independent group for all these products. Surely there's such a site.
Atom Blitzer

Sun 9 Sep, 2012 06:40 pm
@JTT,
I use CNET and PCmag for reviews.
Both allow users of the software to comment and rate.

The above post is right on. My lenovo has Avast, and it is very secure, and is not a resource hogger. Very silent yet vigilante.
0 Replies

AgiliRon

Wed 28 Nov, 2012 03:31 am
@JTT,
Hello Friends,

Released by Microsoft in late 2009, Microsoft Security Essentials sports more than a typically verbose Microsoft name: it’s also a really good antivirus. Lightweight enough to run on older machines without crippling their performance, yet competent enough to handle most viruses and malware out there. Perhaps the best part of MSE is its simplicity. As you can see, the user interface is really clear, with large buttons for the most basic functions. This is important if you’re setting it up on a computer for someone who is not computer-savvy. This alone sets it above most of the other selections for the 10 best antivirus programs.
1. Microsoft Security Essentials
2. AVG Free
3. Avira Free
4. Avast! Free
5. Malwarebytes
6. ComboFix
7. Clamwin
8. Panda Cloud AntiVirus
9. Comodo Firewall + Antivirus
10. Common Sense 2011

Best Regards,
Agili Ron
0 Replies

TonyMccallum

Mon 31 Dec, 2012 01:01 am
@JTT,
Hello Community,

AVG Free has become synonymous with free anti-virus, and there’s a reason for this: AVG offers complete malware protection, with considerably less bloat than the top pay-to-use antivirus clients. And while AVG Free does constantly remind you that you could pay for the professional version of the program, it does this without ever getting in the way of the program’s core purpose: protecting you from viruses. Though when it comes to upgrading one version of AVG to another, you need to make sure you’re good at reading what’s on screen, because the free download is only available via a tiny link at the bottom of the screen the site really wants you to get the paid version.

Best Regards,
Tony Mccallum
0 Replies