Video editing softwear

Mon 17 Jan, 2011 11:54 am
I need to find a good, basic, video editing program. Nothing fancy. Hopefully pretty easy to use.

I would like to be able to:

Edit
Improve image quality (brightness, contrast, basic stuff, not special effects type stuff)
Add titles
Add music

Free or cheap would be best.

Does anyone know of such a program?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 12,751 • Replies: 17
Topic Closed

sozobe

Mon 17 Jan, 2011 12:15 pm
@boomerang,
Sozlet got a Flip videocamera for her birthday and has been going crazy with iMovie. Seems pretty sophisticated.

Came free with our iMac, not sure how much it'd cost otherwise (and not sure what kind of a computer you have).

If you have a mac and iMovie is lurking, I think it'd serve your purposes beautifully.
sozobe

Mon 17 Jan, 2011 12:20 pm
@sozobe,
In a quick survey it looks like you need a mac (OS X 10.6.6 or later) to use it. Only $14.99 if that's what you have, though.
0 Replies

boomerang

Mon 17 Jan, 2011 12:24 pm
Thanks but we don't have a mac. I wish we did since they're supposed to make the best and easiest to use stuff like this.

I might just end up taking the video to someone to see if they can clean it up.
sozobe

Mon 17 Jan, 2011 01:22 pm
@boomerang,
OK.

I did a search for "Free video software" and came up with many many hits but I can't vouch for any of 'em.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Mon 17 Jan, 2011 01:31 pm
@boomerang,
iMovie is certainly very usable software, and the iLife suite is so much more usable that it alone is worth switching to OSX for for some people, but you should have Windows Movie Maker either bundled with Windows or as a free download and that is pretty easy to use. If it's not on your computer already you should be able to find the download link with a quick search.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Mon 17 Jan, 2011 02:31 pm
I received ArcSoft's Media Impressions with my digital video camera last year and have found it very useful and easy to learn. On their website, it is listed at $80, but you could probably find it elsewhere for a lot less.

I think it is mostly for editing images and creating videos from stills. However, I have used it to merge and splice videos together.

They also have a TotalMedia HDCam module for merging video files but it doesn't include the image editing and correction tools. It is $40 on their website. Most of their video editing software doesn't include image editing. You can download a free-trial before purchase. Most of their software is offered in Mac and PC versions.

Here is a link to their e-store:

http://www.arcsoft.com/estore/featured_products.asp?id=ESTORE
0 Replies

Irishk

Mon 17 Jan, 2011 02:46 pm
@boomerang,
Windows Movie Maker does the four basics you listed pretty easily. I use it all the time. You can find tip sheets and how-to's on the web. Just make sure you back up fairly frequently if you're doing a lot of editing at once.
0 Replies

boomerang

Tue 18 Jan, 2011 07:00 am
Thanks, all.

It turns out we DO have Window's Movie Maker!

(Insert collective eyeroll here.)

Someday I might learn what this crazy contraption on my desk is for!

I'm going to experiment with this program first than may check out the others.

I really do appreciate your pointing me in the right direction.
tsarstepan

Sat 12 Feb, 2011 01:28 pm
@boomerang,
I didn't know I had Window's Movie Maker myself. Was planning in making a thread on what program a beginner video creator/editor could use as well.

Good timing boomerang. Smile
boomerang

Sat 12 Feb, 2011 02:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
Mr. B has been having a good time with it. He says it's really easy to use.

Did you get a new video camera?
tsarstepan

Sat 12 Feb, 2011 02:43 pm
@boomerang,
No. Just decided to mess around with the program in order to throw a few songs up onto Youtube.

Just configured a slideshow based video using Movie Maker and now uploaded to youtube. Youtube is allegedly processing the video as I am typing this post.
boomerang

Sat 12 Feb, 2011 03:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
Cool!

Are they photos that you've taken?

Do we get to see it?
tsarstepan

Sat 12 Feb, 2011 04:25 pm
@boomerang,
Yeah there are my photographs.

Just had to reupload the video. It wasn't saved in the appropriate video format:
boomerang

Sat 12 Feb, 2011 04:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
Nice!

Very moody. Thank you for sharing it!
tsarstepan

Sat 12 Feb, 2011 07:36 pm
@boomerang,
Admittedly the video is on the amateurish side but at least the resulting videos can be tweaked and practice should make better if not bring perfection.
boomerang

Sat 12 Feb, 2011 10:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well nobody is perfect right out of the gate.

I thought you did a very good job!

To me it was just very melancholy. Lonely.

But I adore melancholy and lonely is one of my favorite things. Those are two things I'm really very good at. (I'm not kidding.)

I thought the music choice was lovely and appropriate.

You're already 20 steps ahead of me so Go! Dog! Go! and maybe I'll try to catch up to you.
0 Replies

boubou

Sun 29 Jul, 2012 08:37 am
@boomerang,
I use corel videostudio . You can do the work you listed.
0 Replies