A first look at Windows 7's UI

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 03:25 pm
First look at Windows 7's User Interface

Quote:
At PDC today, Microsoft gave the first public demonstration of Windows 7. Until now, the company has been uncharacteristically secretive about its new OS; over the past few months, Microsoft has let on that the taskbar will undergo a number of changes, and that many bundled applications would be unbundled and shipped with Windows Live instead. There have also been occasional screenshots of some of the new applets like Calculator and Paint. Now that the covers are finally off, the scale of the new OS becomes clear. The user interface has undergone the most radical overhaul and update since the introduction of Windows 95 thirteen years ago.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 12,099 • Replies: 12
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 03:33 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Fixing the UI before fixing the foundation is a little like fixing the water stained walls of your house before fixing the leak in the roof that caused it.

When is MS going to do away with the registry?

Nick Ashley

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 03:49 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I think it looks very promising. I like the idea of gesture based window resizing, but am worried it will be annoying in practice though.

Finally, we can re-order items in the task-bar!
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 03:54 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
Fixing the UI before fixing the foundation is a little like fixing the water stained walls of your house before fixing the leak in the roof that caused it.

The things they are changing about their UI are not caused by any foundational issues. It's just bad UI design being worked on and not related to bad fundamental architecture.

Quote:
When is MS going to do away with the registry?

I'd love for them to do this, but it would cause a lot of complaints. Vista was a foundational release, and due to the foundational improvements it made a lot of legacy problems. Doing away with the registry is a good idea, but would cause too many legacy problems for Microsoft to consider right now.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 03:55 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Nick Ashley wrote:
Finally, we can re-order items in the task-bar!

That's the only part I really like about what I've seen so far.
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 04:49 pm
I agree the registry is bad, but I don't think it necessarily needs to be done away with. I think the registry is fine for Operating System settings. The biggest mistake with the registry IMHO was opening it up to developers, and then encouraging them to store application configuration there, as opposed to in separate .ini files.

Microsoft no longer encourages developers to use the registry, and instead prefers application write to users space in the Application Data folder (/Users/Nick/AppData/Local) However, this doesn't solve the storage location problem global applications, that everyone can use.

As Robert says, killing it would introduce huge legacy issues. If they were to do this, perhaps they could implement a hidden layer that redirect registry hits to a global user space? This is similar to how programs that write to the /program files/ directory were handled.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 09:56 pm
Well, the new Windows UI looks almost as good as Mac OS X did when it came out several years ago Smile

I know I know, I'm a Mac weenie. But I spent over a decade working on Windows systems, so now I have to give equal time to the Mac.
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 07:40 pm
Apparently there is alot under the hood as well. It actually runs faster then Vista does. It has better memory management, such as not allocating GPU resources to a minimized application. It also provides better battery life.

However, what sounds the most intersting to me, is it detects if an application crashes multiple times, and will try to determine what is happening to cause the crash, and if it can run the app differently to prevent the application from crashing. Interesting Idea.

http://gizmodo.com/5070219/giz-explains-why-windows-7-will-smash-vista
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 04:41 pm
Okay, so now that I've seen some more videos about windows 7, I actually think it looks really cool.

The windows taskbar looks like it will take some time to get used to (it's more 'mac' like) but looks like it works well. The 'Peek' feature I think I would use ALOT. The only thing that worries me is if I have 10 tabs open in firefox, I don't think I would want to see 10 previews when I hover over the firefox menu item.

Check out the walkthrough video:

Another interesting (but probably less useful) feature is the new 'Aero shake' to minimize all but the current window.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 07:45 am
OK... got a problem here.. hopes you guys can help.

I've successfully installed Windows 7 on my Mac OSX 10.4.11 using an expired boot camp 1.4 beta (by partying like it was 2007 in the time/date settings).

The only problem is, when I go to Startup Disk on OSX, I don't have a windows partition to boot from. If I wind the date back again and tell it to attempt to install W7 again, with the Windows install disk inserted, it simply boots to the windows partition anyway, but that's really quite annoying.

Is there a way to make 10.4.11 see my W7 partition?

"Yeah, upgrade to 10.5 already you idiot!"

Yeah, I know, I know.... but other than that.... ???

DrewDad

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 08:02 am
@Nick Ashley,
Nick Ashley wrote:
Microsoft no longer encourages developers to use the registry, and instead prefers application write to users space in the Application Data folder (/Users/Nick/AppData/Local) However, this doesn't solve the storage location problem global applications, that everyone can use.

I think Symantec is using the \docs and settings\all users\appdata\local path.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 09:26 am
@Eorl,
OK, stop panicking. I found a reasonable workaround.

Holding down "option" key at startup lets me choose either OS. Yay!
Eorl

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 07:09 pm
@Eorl,
OK, new problem.

My Mac batteries are on the way out, so I only get about 2.5 hours in OSX, which seems to equate to about 20 mins in Windows 7!!

Huh?
0 Replies