Mood-lifting Nostrum

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 11:50 am
I don’t specifically recommend it but I find a couple tabs each of 5-HTP, kava kava, and St John’s wort lifts to a kind of neutral plane—not a high by any means

But my q is this: Given that the last two nostrums are gel caps, (1) approximately how long should a dose take to act, (2) how long might one be expected to benefit from it, and (3) Ae there any dangers

Thanks anybody who knows about stuff like that
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 668 • Replies: 19
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 01:14 pm
@dalehileman,
Typically, about 45 minutes, though in my experience with St John's wort, the time approximates infinity.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 01:25 pm
@roger,
Thanks Rog, and in fact the reason for my q is that I find it seems to take an hour and a half for full effect
roger

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 02:46 pm
@dalehileman,
The reason for my answer is that when I needed codine for pain, it didn't have any effect for about 45 minutes. Full effect? Harder to measure. Fullness of stomach could be a factor.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 10:21 pm
@roger,
Interesting Rog that should so reporter, but (2) how long might one be expected to benefit from it
roger

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 10:28 pm
@dalehileman,
Best guess would be based on frequency of dose. It's going to vary widely.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 10:31 pm
@roger,
Yas Ego but how about a rule-of thumb
roger

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 11:42 pm
@dalehileman,
Rule of thumb is: 3 or 4 hours for some pain pills; 10 or 12 for others. Anywhere from 12 to 24 hours for hypertension.

C'mon Dale. Some thumbs are a lot bigger than others.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 11:25 am
@roger,
Thanks for that report, Rog. Incidentally I didn’t mean to type “Ego,” had no such intention, I’m just sloppy typist while a2k routine prevents any editing after 15 minutes
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 11:51 am
@roger,
By “hypertension” Rog I presume you’d include my three nostrums

Incidentally you seem to understand this sort of stuff, I wonder if any of them might be at all risky in repeated dosage
ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 12:25 pm
@dalehileman,
Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-794-5-HTP.aspx?activeIngredientId=794&activeIngredientName=5-HTP

Serious safety concerns re kava kava
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/872.html

St. John's Wort - possible medication interactions/ask your pharmacist/m.d.
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-329-ST%20JOHN'S%20WORT.aspx?activeIngredientId=329&activeIngredientName=ST%20JOHN'S%20WORT
dalehileman

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 12:26 pm
@ossobuco,
Thank you Oss most kindly for those links

It would appear then that St John’s is the only one relatively harmless, that is notwithstanding any interactions

What surprises me, if those reports are accurate how the FDA allows the retail sale of those first two while It’s not clear just how likely their side effects

Nonetheless disappointing as first thing out of bed I‘m oft suicidal while my triple combo leaves me feeling normal all day
roger

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 01:06 pm
@dalehileman,
Dietary supliments don't have near the regulation as over the counter medicines, and certainly not the same as prescription drugs.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 02:01 pm
@roger,
Yea Rog, evidently
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 03:07 pm
@dalehileman,
How kind are you to your liver beyond the kava kava? If you take kava kava along with other known liver blasters such as alcohol, statin drugs, acetaminophen, or any drug that has a manufacturer's warning about getting regular tests for liver disease then you shouldn't be taking the kava kava. If you're taking kava kava in the absence of those other toxins then you should include some supplemental liver support such as milk thistle and artichoke. You should also get your liver function evaluated periodically. If going without kava kava leaves you suicidal then the risk of liver problems gets a certain perspective.

Good luck and best wishes!
dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 03:12 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

By “hypertension” Rog I presume you’d include my three nostrums

Incidentally you seem to understand this sort of stuff, I wonder if any of them might be at all risky in repeated dosage

St John's wort is contra-indicated if you are on some meds for hypertension. If you are taking such meds I'd stop taking it immediately and check with your pahrmacist or doctor.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 11:28 am
@JPB,
Quote:
should include some supplemental liver support such as milk thistle and artichoke.
Thank you most kindly JPB for that report. But at 81 I’ve noticed that every med seems to have at least one side effect which in turn calls for another med with another side effect ad infinitum

Quote:
Good luck and best wishes!
Looks like I’ll need some luck
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 11:32 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
St John's wort is contra-indicated if you are on some meds for hypertension.
Thank you Dlo for that report. However I had understood that St John’s wort was specifically taken for hypertension

Your warning seem to be saying that swimming pools should be outlawed because of an occasional drowning

Ok, maybe that’s a slight exaggeration

Buut I will discuss it with My Doc
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 03:27 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
If you're taking kava kava in the absence of those other toxins then you should include some supplemental liver support such as milk thistle and artichoke.
Interesting JPB yuou should so assert. Coincidentally this morning my Better Half suggested pretty much the same thing, suggesting for one thing that I quit my current statin
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 03:31 pm
@dlowan,
Dio please ignore my post #...608 as I suffered a mixup in terms, and thanks for the warning
0 Replies