Should Organ Donors be compensated (money wise) for their donations?

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 09:38 am
Quote:
A recent NPR-Thomson Reuters Health Poll found that 60 percent of Americans support some kind of financial incentive to organ donors that could be applied to health care needs.

Tax Breaks For Organ Donors Aren't Boosting Transplant Supply
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/08/31/160338259/tax-breaks-for-organ-donors-arent-boosting-transplant-supply

Though the title of that article should have been Tax Breaks For Organ Donors Aren't Boosting Transplant Supply, DUH! Rolling Eyes
Quote:
Typically states offer a deduction of up to $10,000 from taxable income. For a typical family that translates to less than $1,000 in reduced taxes. But the financial burden for a living kidney donor can range from $907 to $3,089, according to one study.

I can imagine these tax breaks don't cover very much in terms of the ensuing medical bills accrued by the donor.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,771 • Replies: 4
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 09:39 am
@tsarstepan,
I think I'd rather see insurance companies cover the costs.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 09:40 am
@ehBeth,
Hee hee. Sorry ehBeth. That's never going to happen without a deep shove from government.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 09:42 am
@tsarstepan,
ok - so who's going to provide the money-wise compensation? shouldn't really be the recipient because then only rich old Americans would be able to get organ transplants
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 03:08 pm
@ehBeth,
The article suggests tax credits instead of tax deductions. One government based tax credit for every dollar in medical bills associated with the transplant procedure. I believe its still illegal to sell organs for cash. That's supposedly the great equalizer in terms of rich/poor people getting the organ transplants... in theory (as how I understand it).
0 Replies