zero conditional, First conditional and second conditional

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 07:14 pm
I would like to know, the whys and the wherefores of these conditionals. In all of my studies, I have never come across the titles, but it seems to be a big deal in the Mexican school system. Help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,039 • Replies: 3
No top replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 08:54 pm
@teachme2win,
teachme2win wrote:
I would like to know, the whys and the wherefores of these conditionals. In all of my studies, I have never come across the titles, but it seems to be a big deal in the Mexican school system. Help!

These might help a bit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conditional_sentence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conditional_mood

The "mood" one lists three different versions, but it calls them Factual, Predictive, and Speculative.

I've never heard of them myself (or it's been so long that I've forgotten them). But it does seem there are some linguistic rules on the subject.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 30 Aug, 2012 01:11 am
@teachme2win,

It might cheer you up to know that 99.999% of educated native speakers of English know nothing about this, myself included.

(that should be "including me", but colloquially we sometimes use "myself" for emphasis.)

Smile
JTT

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 07:19 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
It might cheer you up to know that 99.999% of educated native speakers of English know nothing about this, myself included.

See what I've been telling you, Frank A. That's illustrative of the magic that is language. Even five year old native English speaking kids know this stuff but yet, as McTag notes, accurately, I might add, very few can explain it.

0 Replies