Personal security at work

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 02:41 pm
Hmmm - 'tis interesting - we feel fear reasonably frequently - of clients - and we have no security of any kind, at all - well, we have a few panic buttons that would bring the police in 10 minutes or so - depending on what sort of day they were having. We have plans - but the nature of the job means that we are scattered in offices, or out, and in reality it is always whoever is there who helps defuse situations and backs someone up - usually me for some reason, perhaps because my office is nearest to the waiting room.

Interestingly, our sister team, who work in a much safer area - (though life is always unpredictable when you work with people) - have much better security, although it is quite unobtrusive - but they can lock themselves away from public areas and have control over who enters the office space.

We are discussing security today - as part of a review process - but I really do not think there is much we can do. There would be no way of making our offices more secure without spending a fortune. And that ain't gonna happen.

Still - I would rather our situation than having to worry about a workmate....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 03:23 pm
I had a coworker in an e-mail I wasn't copied on refer to me with "....would somebody shoot this guy?". It was an out of character off hand comment that I found out about, and I reported it to management. She was thoroghly reprimanded and has been very nice to me ever since.

I know she didn't mean it literally but in today's world you can never take anything lightly.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 06:23 pm
Thanks for the hugs and advice everybody. I'm keeping a close watch on the situation. Don't know what else to do. I wish my boss would get his boss involved. I know she would kick some butt. Nobody wants to go over the office supervisor's head. Everybody really likes him and don't want to make him look bad. If Doug does anything else, though, I'm going to start squawking pretty loud.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 07:13 pm
Last year in January I had to confront a hostile co-worker after a threat and it was soooo difficult. In the end he left when I stood up to him but it was pretty traumatic for me. It was just a temp job and he was a temp to but it was emotionally draining. When I was a union rep stuff like this always seemed clear as a bell, what to do and what not to do - but after experiencing this kind of situation personally I have a different point of view. You deserve hugs cause it is not a fun thing.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 11:03 am
Many years ago I was shot, in the back, by a deranged co-worker. I was afraid of him. I was very young and shy, and I let him abuse me for a long long time. I felt I had no-one to complain to, since he was the owner, but I was not really aware how dangerous he was until I finally got myself another job and handed in my notice. He gave me a sealed envelope as my "goodbye" present and it contained a bullet. I was scared and literally shaking in my shoes until it was time to leave at the end of the day. As I was leaving he reminded me to "keep my mouth shut" and waved his rifle which he kept locked in his office. I admit it went off accidentally and I got clipped as I was exiting the door but I firmly believe he was delighted he had injured me.

In the many years since, I have lost my shyness and I am a much stronger person. If someone even hinted at a threat within earshot, I would immediately speak to him (if I felt safe to do so) and remind him to be careful of his use of threatening words. Then I would report it to Human Resources and my manager and make anyone else, who might be included in the threat, aware of it. If it was a very serious threat that actually made me fear for my safety, I would report it to the police.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 01:00 pm
My God, Heeven, how horrible.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 01:17 pm
Have to admit Jespah, I've worked for my share of jackasses.
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 01:21 pm
Wow Heeven! Glad you're still with us! And I thought I worked for a bunch of jerks!
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 01:29 pm
From that, and other experiences, I guess I am a no BS type now. If anyone were to look crooked at me I would have no compunction but to assert myself or put them right!

BTW, you will be happy to hear he is still in prison and I was delighted to assist in putting him there - not for shooting me but for raping his three young children! When his wife discovered this fact she contacted me (about a year after I had left) and asked me if I had ever seen anything (the kids were always in and out of the office) and if I would assist detectives with their investigation. I was delighted to tell her about the bullet in the envelope and back-injury (which he had covered up) and assist them in putting together a case against him. He was found guilty of the abuse of his children in return for the dropping of all other charges (my assault, some scams and other lesser acts) and I believe he got a sentence of 15 years for each child.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 03:12 pm
Horribler and horribler. Definitely worth remembering that there are complete monsters out there. Glad that your part of the story seems to have a satisfactory ending, Heeven.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 06:02 pm
Oh my god, Heeven! I don't know if my co-worker is really capable of following through on his threat, but rest assured everyone in the office knows he made it. Your testimony is very welcome. I'm glad your injuries were not worse and that that piece of sh#t is behind bars.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 06:09 pm
Heeven! That's horrific!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 06:27 pm
Heeven-The up side of this awful story, is that it helped to make you a stronger person.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 06:29 pm
Yes, but all things considered, i'd rather be in Philadelphia . . .
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 08:37 am
Yeah, I do think that the sum of all my experiences makes me who I am today. Good and bad.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 06:45 pm
Amen!
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2002 09:27 pm
Heeven
Wow!!! You are such a strong person. Reading about your experience with this monster had me in shock to say the least. I'm glad that the bastard is rotting in jail for a very long time. I use to be shy as well until I was constantly threatened and abused by an ex and now I am a no nonsense gal who doesn't put up with threats or abuse from anyone. All the more power to ya :-D
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 09:09 am
Good for you Gezzy. I did boo-hoo about poor me at the time but, and I hate to say this, the experience might have helped make me a more secure person now. I rarely stress out now, in fact I'm one of the least stressed people I know. I realize that no-one can do anything to me that I'm not willing to let them do, so if someone pisses me off I just walk away. If he happens to be my boss, then what's the worst thing he can do? Fire me? So what, I'll get another job.

I think all of us have experiences like this at some point in our lives and it is a wonderful thing to say we can come out the other side having new appreciation for the good things and being a better person for it because it truly tests our mettle.

My experience, while devastating to me at the time, is nothing compared to that of those young children and the horror they went through and will have to remember to this day. How a father could destroy them in the guise of love!
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 02:14 am
Amen to that!
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 02:15 am
Oh Heeven. I love your new face, lol :-)
0 Replies