West Nile hysteria.

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 01:02 pm
The threat from West Nile, according to Dallas local and national news channels, is a crisis and an emergency. Local Dallas TV news continues to scare people without giving any facts.

According to the CDC 20% of people infected with West Nile show any symptoms at all. One in 150 infected people will have severe symptoms. So, of 150 people infected with West Nile 30 people with have any symptoms at all, and of those 30 people 29 will have mild symptoms and one with have severe symptoms.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,254 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 01:27 pm
@coluber2001,
That's with the current population of infected mosquitoes. Left unchecked, the infected population increases and the human illnesses and deaths increase.

It is much easier to fight when the infected population is minimal.

By the way, it is more than just humans that are infected by the mosquitoes.

Take a look at the statistics at this link. It gives annual data for the last 10 years in Texas:

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/disease/arboviral/westnile/statistics/annual/default/

It also helps keep it from spreading to other areas:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/Mapsactivity/surv&control12MapsAnybyState.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/images/WNV_Act/WNV_21August_2012_a.jpg
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 02:26 pm
@coluber2001,
Still, only 20% of infected individuals show any symptoms at all and 1 in 150 infected individuals develop severe symptoms. Infected people become immune. And my point is that the TV local news don't give any information at all, but just resort to scaring people, which is good for selling commercials but bad for dispensing information. Local commercial broadcast news has some responsibility to inform people and not just exist for making money.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 03:00 pm
@coluber2001,
I don't know re commercial broadcasts as I don't even watch tv. On the other hand, I was first a microbiology major, and worked in the med field for a long time. I get you, Coluber, that more nuanced information on the news is better, and thank you for the cdc info.

I see we have a case in Albuquerque. I haven't seen one mosquito here in six years. I'd feel fine if I could hook up a spritzing small fountain - I even have a good pump, just not the money for some yard renovation to do it, which would involve some electrical work. Well, that's here.

In mosquito land, I might worry about the time a fountain is still if people don't turn it on for a few days; I'll have to read up on that, re necessity of people running the fountain/spritzer.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 03:41 pm
We're having the largest outbreak of WNV this summer since 1999. The reason for the public service announcements is that certain populations (elderly, compromised immune system, etc) are highly susceptible to viral infections of this type. People who are at high risk of serious complications (including death) need to be aware that the flu-like symptoms they may be experiencing require medical attention. The PSAs aren't for sub-clinical cases. It's basically saying there's a lot of WNV around this year and if you're in a certain group you should get your hiney over to the ER. This was in my work inbox yesterday...

Quote:
The CDC has received reports of 1,118 cases of WNV disease from 38 states, including 41 deaths, as of Aug. 21. These numbers represent the highest numbers of cases reported through the third week in August since WNV was first detected in the U.S. in 1999.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 03:45 pm
@JPB,
Thanks. Ah, but that is what the news channels should convey, certain hineys to the ER.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 04:05 pm
@JPB,
THE 20% symptomatic are OF the most vulnerable populations like the very young and the very old. SO calling it hysteria coluber , is A BIT incorrect.
farmerman

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 04:07 pm
@farmerman,
lo, the disease is virulent among equine hosts an could aid in th redevelopment of eastern equine encephalitis, a fuckin nasty way to die.

We will be in a major bulge of cases until frost kills the major hosts. Its ay too early to develop this many cases already
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 05:03 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
We're having the largest outbreak of WNV this summer since 1999. The reason for the public service announcements is that certain populations (elderly, compromised immune system, etc) are highly susceptible to viral infections of this type.

Plus, it's August. Not much real news this time of the year.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 06:00 pm
We've got lots of mosquitoes in ABQ, especially at the dog park after sunset. Also have them around our gardens.

I get eaten alive by them if I go outdoors after sunset to water the plants. I can look down my arms right now and see 4 bites as I type. The back of my neck has two bites near the hair line.

West Nile activity increases in Albuquerque
ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 06:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
Hmm.
I've only recently been watering more, in that I have a new "hydrant" that is hard to tame, in place of my old hose bib - it's on in force or off. I'll have to get a new attachment. For many years now, I've watered with a milk bottle into "wells" around my plants. That's a fair pain relative to holding a hose, keeping a sand well in place. I may go back to it. That tries my patience but keeps down weeds and is spare with the water. I water in the evening too. No mosquitos.

I'm busy enough with crickets.

0 Replies

TimeTravel

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 07:03 pm
@coluber2001,
I think it is also scare propaganda, to sell Bug spray, which does far far more health damage to toddlers kids and pregnant women, than this mild disease will.
Possibly also this is a smoke screen by Obama as usual to mask the fact the economy sucks and he can't bring home ANY troops really, because he would lose the election. The real danger is when malaria carrying mosquito move into the Southern US. Already many Japanese mosquito are even found as far north as Maine. A malaria epidemic in the USA is a matter of time; this is just an irritating story that excites many people, West Nile is a flashy name, almost as exciting as Mad Cow Disease. A little more hype and they can make another B Rate movie. Some of you have bad priorities; what ... about 700,000 Americans die each year from smoking, and you are worried about a few deaths for mosquito bites? Wake up ! Why not fight a real threat, on the top 10 list, like cancer from bug spray, birth defects from insecticides, smoking related deaths, drunk driving. Football related deaths are probably higher than this inflated threat.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 07:26 pm
Quote:
West Nile cases in the U.S. continue to climb, jumping 25 percent in a week, with 1,993 cases nationwide and 87 deaths in the country’s worst outbreak for this time of year since the virus was detected here in 1999, health officials said Wednesday.
Texas continues to log the most cases, with at least 888 reported illnesses and 35 deaths, according to figures from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. But Dr. David L. Lakey, commissioner of the Texas Department of State Health Services, said his latest figures actually show that Texas has reported 1,013 cases and 40 deaths.Source

If one is in a high risk group (very young, elderly, immuno-compromised) they should take flu-like symptoms very seriously and get medical attention earlier rather than later.
0 Replies