Well, I missed it. Did you?

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 04:27 pm
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-in-case-you-missed-it-heres-how-day-one-went-at-gop-convention-20120827,0,158407.story

With the kind of campaigning and instant news coverage that goes on today, are these four-day national conventions a thing of the past maybe? Why does the GOP need four days to acknowledge what we already know -- that Mitt Romney is their candidate? Why do the Dems need that amount of time to simply say, "Yeah, we want Obama to run for another term"? This all seems so dated and old fashioned now.

I'll be brutally honest. Until this morning,I didn't even realize the Republican convention had already started. There was a time when networks carried this stuff live. It seems so damned pointless now.

What'd you think?

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 04:32 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I think it's pointless, as you say, unless from time to time it isn't.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 04:34 pm
I watched 5 minutes of an interview with a woman governor from ? and turned off the television. I'll give the dems an equal 5 minutes next week.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 04:39 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Yep and what was this pre-party for? They had it last night at Tropicana Field here in St. Pete. Made a mess of downtown!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 04:58 pm
It's a celebration that has a long history. Hopefully, Setanta will step in and tell us that history. (No sarcasm intended Set. I find your knowledge of history both informative and interesting.)
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 05:02 pm
@McGentrix,
Well, there was a time when the convention was much more than just a "celebration." We really didn't know for sure who the candidate would be until all the state delegations had cast their votes. Sometimes new platform planks were worked out at the convention which had not been in the published platform before. It was truly a news-worthy event. That's ancient history now.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 05:02 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
are these four-day national conventions a thing of the past maybe? Why does the GOP need four days to acknowledge what we already know

Because nobody want to drive to Tampa and then turn right around and come home.
revelette

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 07:51 am
(not sure the storm is turning into a hurricane)

Quote:
When Hurricane Isaac showed a looming threat of hitting Tampa, Florida, during the GOP convention, Romney campaign co-chair and former New Hampshire Gov. John Sununu told Fox News, “we’ll keep hoping that Isaac moves as far west as he can.”

Now that the storm has moved west — and is on the same trajectory as Hurricane Katrina, the storm that devastated New Orleans in 2005 — Sununu complained on Fox News today that the media is “obsessed with mother nature” and is unfairly covering the storm instead of the convention:

SUNUNU: We aren’t talking about jobs. It’s the media that is obsessed with mother nature. This is a jobs campaign. 8.3 unemployment, 25 million Americans underemployed or unemployed, and college graduates, half of them can’t find decent jobs. But each of the last four years, it is jobs.

KILMEADE: But you have to admit for the last week it is Medicare, and we’ve been talking a lot about that. No one can help if there is a storm coming . We’ve got to talk that.

SUNUNU: But it is jobs, Governor Romney is the guy to fix the job’s program.

Sununu’s callousness has been echoed by other members of his party. Rep Darryl Issa (R-CA) said he’d be “fine” if Isaac made landfall in New Orleans, as long as Republicans could win in November, and radio host Rush Limbaugh suggested yesterday that President Obama intentionally messed with the storm track predictions of Isaac to scare Republicans into canceling their convention.

Links at the source

0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 08:40 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Why do the Dems need that amount of time to simply say, "Yeah, we want Obama to run for another term"?

They don't. The Democratic National Convention is only three days long.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 09:52 am
We need more political BS dont you know. After all 100 ads a day on tv and 200 ads a day on the radio arnt enough to get the attention of the "normal" voter.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 04:34 pm
They don't call'em political parties for nothin, y'know.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 09:34 pm
@George,
George wrote:

They don't call'em political parties for nothin, y'know.

Point well taken, George.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 09:41 pm
The Conventions are very important as marketing vehicles. It is the best chance for candidates to define themselves and their candidacy as the election starts in earnest.

This is when many Americans start paying attention.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 10:09 pm
@maxdancona,
Overkill, far as I can see.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 10:16 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-in-case-you-missed-it-heres-how-day-one-went-at-gop-convention-20120827,0,158407.story

With the kind of campaigning and instant news coverage that goes on today, are these four-day national conventions a thing of the past maybe? Why does the GOP need four days to acknowledge what we already know -- that Mitt Romney is their candidate? Why do the Dems need that amount of time to simply say, "Yeah, we want Obama to run for another term"? This all seems so dated and old fashioned now.

I'll be brutally honest. Until this morning,I didn't even realize the Republican convention had already started. There was a time when networks carried this stuff live. It seems so damned pointless now.

What'd you think?

The entire thing is just a song and dance to give the public the impression that they have some impact on how things will turn out. I honestly don't even care because every politician is so removed from the actual living standards of a typical tax payer. All it is about is to see how long they can continue to siphon tax money into corporations they and their constituents have investments in. If they were actually concerned with the social and economic impact they are having they would be doing drastically different things like not using the keynesian economic system.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 10:21 pm
The conventions decide the elections. Whoever leads in the polls two weeks after the conventions almost always goes on to win. The debates, barring something drastic happening, does not change many minds.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 11:00 pm
@Krumple,
What are you saying, you want your president to be the typical taxpayer?
maxdancona

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2012 11:22 pm
@roger,
I just want my president to be a taxpayer.
roger

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 12:05 am
@maxdancona,
You will get it. Glad you don't require he grew up in a log cabin.
RABEL222

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 10:41 am
@roger,
As opposed to living in a mansion and being sent to the best schools by your parents. Not the kind of man who understands the everyday needs of common people.
0 Replies