Is free-will an illusion?

dalehileman

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 12:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
They are immune to their own hypocrisy.
Alas quite so Cis

However I suppose many of us over here on the left are also unreasonable to some extent
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 12:05 pm
@dalehileman,
That's what makes politics so dumbfounding. If it were not for Romney, I may have voted for other than Obama.

Romney is a pathetic, pathological liar; nobody knows where he stands on anything. At least I know Obama can be trusted to followup on some of his campaign promises that will benefit all Americans.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 12:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
That's what makes politics so dumbfounding.
Well put Cis, my reaction exactly, for what it's worth, which however isn't much around here

Quote:
If it were not for Romney, I may have voted for other than Obama.
I went Obama partly because (1) Give him a chance for God sake

(2) In spite of some questionably constitutional moves, he leans to the left where I too reside at least on social issues. For instance how anyone with an IQ over 52 can find something sacred about a fertilized egg, is beyond me

(3) He's likable, has a presidential yet personal appeal

Quote:
Romney is a pathetic, pathological liar;
Though he seems irresolute he does believe himself, according to the general principle that nothing is entirely anything and while entitled to change his mind, he's no outright liar

……while apparently to half of us he's likable

Quote:
At least I know Obama can be trusted to followup
Let us pray; or depending upon your camp, let us hope
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 01:52 pm
@dalehileman,
You left out the conditional ending,
Quote:
on some of his campaign promises that will benefit all Americans

Some people are still unsure about his stance on higher taxes for the rich, after repeating it so many times.

See what happens when a president doesn't do what he promises to do?

It's a no-brainer on Romney; nobody knows.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 02:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I happily voted for Obama...I think he deserves four more years.

But the part of my vote that was a vote "against"...was not directed at Romney, who did most of his lying to make it through the sewer that is the Republican Party primary challenge. The "against" part of my vote was directed at the Republican Party which has allowed itself to become corrupted by the extreme right wing nuts.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 02:23 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Good points, Frank, and I agree. They have become the party of social-religious issues rather than what created their party.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 06:59 pm
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 02:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
the party of social-religious issues
Well put, it's true, and it'll be their downfall
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 02:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Right on, ci. Right on, Dale.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 02:59 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Thank you Frank, a bit of encouragement is welcome in this dolorous if grandiloquent fulmination of dysphoric persiflage
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 03:56 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Thank you Frank, a bit of encouragement is welcome in this dolorous if grandiloquent fulmination of dysphoric persiflage

I couldn'ta said it better myself!
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 04:24 pm
@Frank Apisa,
dal,
Quote:
is welcome in this dolorous if grandiloquent fulmination of dysphoric persiflage

There's so many million dollar words in that one sentence, it went way over my head.... Mr. Green Shocked Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 04:24 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Right on Dale, Frank and C.I..
dalehileman

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 06:27 pm
@JLNobody,
Thank you JL, it's heartwarming to be occasionally acknowledged in this otherwise ineluctable gallimaufry sf acrimonious contention
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 08:22 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Thank you JL, it's heartwarming to be occasionally acknowledged in this otherwise ineluctable gallimaufry sf acrimonious contention

Dale, you took the words right out of my mouth.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 08:52 am
@Frank Apisa,
Thank you all Frank, C.I, JL, Dalehileman, Tomr, and Ughaibu, I thank the thanking act, thank you world !!! Mr. Green Drunk
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 02:52 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
Thank you all Frank, C.I, JL, Dalehileman, Tomr, and Ughaibu, I thank the thanking act, thank you world !!!

Y0u're welcome, Fil. Very Happy
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 02:58 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Can we get along? Yes, we can!
0 Replies

ughaibu

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 09:45 pm
@ughaibu,
ughaibu wrote:
tomr wrote:
What forums do you suggest?
Sticking with fora of which I'm a member, I suggest this one: http://www.mymathforum.com/index.php?sid=0b86da09b73cd5984c0c41d548146a15
After that, if you want a second opinion, let's try: http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Forum/index.php? Or to get the input of those with a science background: http://www.sciforums.com/forum.php?s=7d011ffe40787857737966e231ac9f24
Bringing this up to date; Tomr posted his proof at the above three fora. On each he was told why he is wrong, by varying numbers of posters and with varying degrees of patience. In one case, after it was pointed out that he was wrong, and why he was wrong, nobody thought fit to indulge him further. As Tomr's proof doesn't demonstrate his conclusion and as that conclusion is obviously false, there was always a danger that his thread would just be ignored, certainly I think it would have been a waste of time posting it at a site like PlanetMath for that reason. However, I'm surprised at how little indulgence he received at the sites chosen, as I've often thought that I'm rather short of patience when dealing with deniers, but the opposite seems to be the case.
Anyway, here the other posters were more patient. But eventually, in the face of Tomr's obstinance, they began speculating that he's a troll and the thread was closed. He faired even worse here. After he ignored the correction of his views, by three or four posters, for the second time, his posts were deleted and his account closed. In short, he was banned.
It should now be absolutely clear that Tomr's objection, to my demonstration that willed actions are possible in a non-determined world, cuts no ice. His argument fails, it fails obviously and trivially, as was pointed out in several posts, and not just by me, on this very thread, before opinion was sought elsewhere. I consider this matter to be closed.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 10:05 pm
@ughaibu,
Excuse me but the only thing you were debating there was numbers and not the concept of free will so old on your horses...either your math friends don't know much on ontological claims and Philosophy or you are stretching the argument beyond the scope you debated there...the matter is not close anywhere in the world and you know this for a fact so do me a favor and publish, prove me wrong, then provide the links and peer reviews !