The A2k NFL "Pick-Um" Game Is Back!

JPLosman0711

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 10:25 am
@memelissascott,
I don't see what you're trying to indicate.
CowDoc

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 10:48 am
@spendius,
Spendi - I obviously can't speak for everyone who makes picks here, but I can tell you that I never look at anyone else's choices before (or, for that matter, after) I make my own picks. Before the week starts, the Miz checks out our lists, and tells me which games we differ on. Other than that, I never know how my picks line up against anyone else, nor do I care. The NFL has achieved enough parity over the past few years that the old "any given Sunday" phrase has indeed become true. Most of the time, I pick the team I consider to be the better overall squad, but sometimes I give in to my gut feelings. The ball is shaped the way it is so that it can take some strange bounces, and it has a nasty habit of doing so. If there's a way to scientifically predict NFL games, I'll have to defer to Spendi to enlighten us. Meanwhile, I hope we're all just having fun doing this, and I find it hard to believe that we would consider this game sufficiently significant in our lives to make our choices based upon other players' actions. Having said that, I'll probably get my butt kicked this week - Thanksgiving week is renowned for upsets - but it really doesn't matter as long as we're having a good time with it. I won't be overeating this week, since I had a cholecystectomy Tuesday, but here's wishing you and yours a wonderful holiday, everybody!

ehBeth

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 10:50 am
@JPLosman0711,
looks like memelissascott is some kind of bot - randomly picking phrases from earlier posts and copying them in the thread

0 Replies

realjohnboy

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 11:11 am
Tossing out the toss-up game, Mysteryman, George, Coastalrat and AndyD agree with the majority on 13 of the other 15 games. Not the same 13 games, of course. Several players are off on just 3.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 12:17 pm
@CowDoc,
Quote:
If there's a way to scientifically predict NFL games, I'll have to defer to Spendi to enlighten us.

I agree. But there are ways to increase the probability of predicting a NFL result and over a season such an increase will come out with more success than no method such as Coin Toss which is statistically more certain to achieve .500 the more games that are involved.

I'm glad you're feeling better.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 12:18 pm
@CowDoc,
CowDoc wrote:
I won't be overeating this week, since I had a cholecystectomy Tuesday, but here's wishing you and yours a wonderful holiday, everybody!

I'll tell you what, I'll overeat for you, R!
edgarblythe

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 01:20 pm
The Detroit Lions defensive lineman, voted the NFL's dirtiest player two years running, appeared to intentionally kick his left foot at the groin of Houston Texans quarterback Matt Schaub during the annual Thanksgiving game in the Motor City.

Suh was rushing Schaub when he was blocked/tackled by Texans offensive lineman Derek Newton. As he rolled to the turf, Suh fell on all fours, then extended his leg toward Schaub, who doubled over after contact.

Watch Suh's left leg as he falls. He paused ever-so-slightly then appears to extend his foot in a different direction than his momentum.
ossobuco

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 01:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yeh, I've read about him before.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 01:35 pm
@Ticomaya,
You are simply toooooooo generous! Perhaps you could have a nice Thanksgiving meal on behalf of me and Set as well?
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 02:08 pm
Ain't never seen nothing like that before not no-how.

A coach scoring an own goal. Sheesh!!
spendius

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 02:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
appears

He deliberately kicked him in the scrotties.
edgarblythe

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 02:15 pm
@spendius,
That seems like a first ever. But I don't know enough to judge it.
edgarblythe

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 02:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
I thought you referred to the last Texans touchdown.
0 Replies

Ragman

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 02:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
Suh seems to think acting like a rabid dog is good defense.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 02:30 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
scrotties
yup...

on this side of the pond we say "balls/nuts"...
Ragman

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 02:37 pm
@Region Philbis,
"It's only a flesh wound!"
As quoted from Monty Python and Holy Grail
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 02:48 pm
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
on this side of the pond we say "balls/nuts"...

One has to invent new words once the old ones become acceptable at suburban ladies' coffee mornings.
0 Replies

George

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 03:06 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:
CowDoc wrote:
I won't be overeating this week, since I had a cholecystectomy Tuesday,
but here's wishing you and yours a wonderful holiday, everybody!
In the spirit of A2K comraderie, I too shall over-munch on CowDoc's behalf.
jespah

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 03:19 pm
@George,
George wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
CowDoc wrote:
I won't be overeating this week, since I had a cholecystectomy Tuesday,
but here's wishing you and yours a wonderful holiday, everybody!
In the spirit of A2K comraderie, I too shall over-munch on CowDoc's behalf.

We'll be doing that, too. The toikey is, er, toikeying in the oven.
ossobuco

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 03:28 pm
@jespah,
Ribs with black bean sauce recipe here, with a side of mashed potatoes. Had my greens at breakfast, baked eggs with broccoli, artichokes, parmesan, couscous, etc.
Katy dog is doing her salivation maneuvers.

I've stopped a lot of my cooking with onions, shallots, scallions.. just in case I break down and relent.

Calls from family..
0 Replies