The A2k NFL "Pick-Um" Game Is Back!

edgarblythe

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 03:44 pm
Every time I almost gave up on the Texans, they proved that the Yogi was right. It ain't over til it's over.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 03:45 pm
bump
CowDoc

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 05:11 pm
@Rockhead,
The Miz is pleased that she finally got an overtime game right. Last week she was 0-3 on the OT games.
Rockhead

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 05:13 pm
@CowDoc,
where does she stand in Dallas?

RG3 has a QB rating at half time 105 points higher than that of mr romo...
spendius

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 06:15 pm
@Rockhead,
Texans pickers are minus 3 in the spread game and Cowboys pickers are looking a bit down in the mouth.
ossobuco

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 06:16 pm
@spendius,
Glob glog, garble, glob, glob.
0 Replies

JPB

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 08:28 pm
Unbelievable!
Rockhead

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 08:32 pm
@JPB,
not really.

the jetses are mostly turrible.

makes my heart just a little lighter, it does...

I think they need to start Tebowing (TM)
Ragman

Thu 22 Nov, 2012 11:16 pm
@Rockhead,
Boy, the Pats sure missed the Gronk-meister today. They might have scored 60s pts if he was in the lineup.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 23 Nov, 2012 08:40 am
The commentators in last night's games moidered, wheedled and generally wanked themselves silly over Thanksgiving gluttonies like salesmen for the turkey producers, the cranberry growers, the tableware manufactures and the wholly spiritual notion of American wonderfullness to such effect that the rest of us can only gasp in awe and envy.

The London panel exhibited Cecil Martin carving a roast turkey all through the first game and what a sorry mess it looked by the time he had finished.

Anyone with even a cursory knowledge of turkey production could only wipe away the tears of laughter. It was as if eating turkey is some sort of display of religious and philosophical excellence.

Neither Kevin Cable nor Bruce Reynolds, or the man himself, were shown eating any of it which I suppose symbolizes that turkeys are for buying and selling rather than for eating.
0 Replies

George

Fri 23 Nov, 2012 08:48 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Texans pickers are minus 3 in the spread game . . .
I'm confused. Texans won by three. The spread was three.
Wouldn't that give them zero?
Region Philbis

Fri 23 Nov, 2012 08:54 am

oh, the agony of da butt...

http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/sanchez.gif
spendius

Fri 23 Nov, 2012 10:42 am
@George,
OT doesn't count in spread betting George. If you recall I have mentioned the matter and KJ referred to the ESPN giving a win to the side in a tied game which was the underdog on the spread.

In our game goals are more difficult to score than TDs in NFL and draws, ties, are common. Thus they are an aspect in a betting market. Usually priced at 5 to 2. This allows the price for winning to be greater than it would be if the draw was taken out of the equation. Which it can be. A 3-way market would look like A--7 to 4, B--2 to 1 and 5 to 2 the draw. If the final result, which side gets the cup, say, it would be 4 to 6 and 5 to 4. The punter having the choice.

Spread betting operates in many ways. Total points say. Adding up the shirt numbers of scorers. A total points bet would never count OT.

In horseracing a dead-heat is settled by dividing the stake in two and the full odds paid on both winners to that half. The other half being lost.

Having said that I suppose actuarially OT could be counted but it is a settled habit of the betting industry not to.
Ragman

Fri 23 Nov, 2012 10:56 am
@Region Philbis,
You gotta love Wilfork! He had 3 tackles and 2 solo tackles against Jetsies. Ouch! It was not quite what he did to them in their previous game (7 T with 5 solos).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 23 Nov, 2012 12:51 pm
The Grey Cup is happening in Toronto this weekend.

100th anniversary. woo hoo

The Cup and a bunch of CFL football players are in the PATH under our building. Quite a lot of excitement. There was something about Calgary fans trying to get a horse into the Royal York Hotel yesterday. Fun times.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/football/grey-cup-2012/7596458.bin

Quote:
Marty the Horse signs the Royal York Hotel guestbook as he is ridden by Fletcher Armstrong, with the Calgary Grey Cup committee, in the front foyer of the Royal York hotel on Thursday, Nov. 22, 2012 in Toronto.
(link under the photo)

Lots of folks with cowboy hats and lapel pins wandering around town for the past week.

http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/2fb/news/national/article5582609.ece/ALTERNATES/w620/marty-beer23nw1.JPG

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/marty-the-horse-helps-toronto-lighten-up-with-a-quick-tour-and-a-bowl-of-beer/article5582610/

George

Fri 23 Nov, 2012 02:25 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
OT doesn't count in spread betting George. If you recall I have mentioned
the matter and KJ referred to the ESPN giving a win to the side in a tied
game which was the underdog on the spread. . .
Thanks. Forgot about that.
0 Replies

George

Fri 23 Nov, 2012 02:32 pm
@ehBeth,
Go Boatmen!
ehBeth

Fri 23 Nov, 2012 02:35 pm
@George,
I was thinking Rhys would have really had fun with what's been going on here. It's a fun time to be downtown.
George

Fri 23 Nov, 2012 02:54 pm
@ehBeth,
I'll bet!
The Stamps fans look like fun people.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 23 Nov, 2012 03:51 pm
JohnBoy, I'll switch from Minnesota to Chicago.