The A2k NFL "Pick-Um" Game Is Back!

jespah

Fri 2 Nov, 2012 07:24 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
I post the schedule for the week on Monday or Tuesday. Predictions for the Thursday night game are due before kickoff and I encourage players to choose the remaining games at the same time. If they do that, I allow them to change picks prior to the start of the 1st game on Sunday.
Why do you suppose I do that? Because some people work and/or travel and may not get home until Friday or Saturday. Or there may be a hurricane or snowstorm. And I would have to track them down and nag them on Saturday night or Sunday morning. I am good at nagging but I hate resorting to that.
Are you with me on the logic so far?

I really hope people recognize the following -
(1) RJB isn't getting paid for this mishigas and there is no $$ on the table
(2) RJB has a life outside of this and doesn't need to be spending time tracking people down or changing picks ad infinitum. He reminds people once as a courtesy because he's a nice guy.
(3) this is a (mainly) pleasant topic as it is a respite from real-life crap. Come here and don't think about the huge tree that Hurricane Sandy deposited in your front yard, or the mortgage being due, or the election or whatever.
(4) this is not life and death and people are (mostly) pleasant. Getting all hepped up about this crap is ludicrous when there are plenty of other things to get worked up about. Want to have a fight? There are lots of places to do it, and lots of subjects for it. But the pick-'em game? Are ya shittin' me? Sheesh. A little ribbing is one thing, but the online equivalent of yelling and screaming and kicking and throwing stuff is, well, kinda misplaced, and makes one wonder about anger issues otherwise.
(5) This game is fun. If it gets to be too much of a burden for RJB, it'll stop at some point. Making this a difficult and unpleasant experience only makes that day come faster.
And, as always,
there is no #6.
spendius

Fri 2 Nov, 2012 07:50 am
@jespah,
There are no anger issues at my end jes. This is the best thread on A2K imo. It's the down-thumbers who have anger issues.

Making an argument is not "yelling and screaming and kicking and throwing stuff". Every NFL game involves those things and fans of NFL take them in their stride. I think we ought to play as our heroes play.

The NFL has the draft in order to level things out between the teams and the spread game does that for us. To point that out is not "yelling and screaming and kicking and throwing stuff".

The Virginia Company was destroyed and the American Revolution and the Constitution derive from "yelling and screaming and kicking and throwing stuff". Absolutely. Nothing else would have served.

I have thanked John on a few occasions. I know how much trouble he goes to.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 2 Nov, 2012 08:35 am
Here's one of the reasons I think football is sometimes beautiful... this whole drive.

Unless you are for Dallas.

0 Replies

JPLosman07115

Fri 2 Nov, 2012 10:18 am
@jespah,
Are you his lackey?
Region Philbis

Fri 2 Nov, 2012 10:20 am
@JPLosman07115,

watch it, bub -- that's my better half you're talking about...
Rockhead

Fri 2 Nov, 2012 10:22 am
@JPLosman07115,
you're gonna love this, junior...

you are dissing the queen of the mods.

the head hamster even...

it might be time to pick another number.

Doh!
Ragman

Fri 2 Nov, 2012 10:26 am
@Rockhead,
Perhaps he's missing his mark vocationally as a career diplomat?
Rockhead

Fri 2 Nov, 2012 10:27 am
@Ragman,
I'm guessing he's a career grocery bagger.

ummm.

please put the eggs on top...
Ragman

Fri 2 Nov, 2012 10:51 am
@Rockhead,
My guess is either a Walmart or a Denny's greeter.
spendius

Fri 2 Nov, 2012 11:55 am
@Rockhead,
What brings you here Rockie? It might be too late to join in John's game but the spread game can be joined at any time.

Let's see your predictions. Shouting in from the bleachers is a bit undignified.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 2 Nov, 2012 12:02 pm
@Ragman,
Hey Raggie--there might be a Walmart or a Denny's greeter reading here. Have you something against them? It's a job. So is grocery bagging.

Are you guys class conscious? I wouldn't be surprised if a few NFL heroes have mothers who have done that kind of necessary job.

Most greeters are actually bouncers. Like footmen used to be.

How do they compare with bankers in your scheme of status?
realjohnboy

Fri 2 Nov, 2012 01:38 pm
We got off to a great start in the Thursday game of Week #9, going 19-1. In
Weeks #5, #6 and #8 combined we were 6-53!
We agree on 78% of our picks this week, which is a little surprising. There are 3 games I am listing as tossups based on our collective wisdom: Philly @ NO, Miami @ Indy and TBay @ Oak.
Many players have little but green in their columns on my tally sheet.
spendius

Fri 2 Nov, 2012 02:11 pm
@realjohnboy,
I'll refrain from comment about that John.

0 Replies

JPLosman07115

Fri 2 Nov, 2012 02:30 pm
@Rockhead,
Eggs go on the bottom with bread on top, then you set them in the cart where the baby or child would sit.

Shows how much you know..
realjohnboy

Fri 2 Nov, 2012 02:34 pm
@JPLosman07115,
But...but...Where do you put the baby?
Ragman

Fri 2 Nov, 2012 02:34 pm
@realjohnboy,
look on top of the car...roof rack
JPLosman07115

Fri 2 Nov, 2012 02:36 pm
@realjohnboy,
You tell the man he should have worn a condom, then place the eggs in the baby or child's lap.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 2 Nov, 2012 02:41 pm
@realjohnboy,
I'm glad I made a note of where Week 9 starts.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Fri 2 Nov, 2012 03:18 pm
@Region Philbis,
The important part being "BETTER half"...lol
Region Philbis

Fri 2 Nov, 2012 08:12 pm
@mysteryman,

you just said something right there... Smile
0 Replies