The A2k NFL "Pick-Um" Game Is Back!

ossobuco

Sat 27 Oct, 2012 09:37 pm
@spendius,
To whom, eh? You are a standings freak. There is more to sport than that.
ossobuco

Sat 27 Oct, 2012 09:39 pm
@Rockhead,
Already has.
0 Replies

JPLosman0711

Sat 27 Oct, 2012 09:41 pm
@ossobuco,
What more is there to he whom has claimed to not be interested in the first place?
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 03:06 am
@ossobuco,
"You never turned around to see the frowns on the jugglers and the clowns
When they all come down and did tricks for you."
0 Replies

JPLosman0711

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 07:38 am
After some apparent much needed thinking on the whole caring/not caring about football thing I was able to formulate a more adequate response.

By informing everyone that you're not interested in the outcomes of the football games which you've invested time in trying to guess the results you have indicated 3 things:

1) That you apparently have taken up the 'hobby' of investing your time in something which doesn't interest you.
2) That you're a fan of continually wasting your own time. What could be more of a waste of time than investing it in something which you have no emotional(or other) investment?
3) That while you hide behind the guise that it is 'just for fun' you conveniently never require yourself to reveal just where this 'fun' is supposed to come from with a lack of investment in the activity you are participating in. You can't just blindly participate in something and expect 'fun' to come of it, there is only fun if there is an element of risk, i.e. emotional investment(caring). In other words, you have to put coins in the machine for it to do something.

Just my thoughts on the subject, go ahead and thumb down the hell outta this one.
0 Replies

Ragman

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 07:44 am
@Rockhead,
Too late...fait accompli. Now there are twins!
realjohnboy

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 09:10 am
I'm sitting around on a Sunday morning. Just wasting time in between going outside to do something useful: waving Sandy away from central Virginia.
We went 3-17 in the TBay game. Tico and Region got it right but are out of step with the rest of us on a bunch of the remaining games. McGentrix also had TB and only strays from the majority on two games.
AndyD, Ragman, Cowdoc and Liontamerx incorrectly picked Minn but agree with majority on all of the upcoming games, followed by Mysteryman who is out of sync on just one match.
We as a group agree on 78% of our picks. We all have the Patriots. Only Region has the Jags. Region and Jespah select the Panthers and Tico and Region are going with the Browns.
JPLosman0711

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 09:46 am
@realjohnboy,
Reasearch such as what you've indicated in your latest post also isn't something that someone who doesn't care would do.

Have you read my post before this one? Scroll up.
0 Replies

JPLosman0711

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 09:49 am
One other interesting thought.

I find it odd that people are 'brave' enough to thumb down a post in anonymity but are far too cowardly to take the time to muster up an intellectual reply.

Curious, no?
spendius

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 10:17 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
Now there are twins!

Rockie doesn't play. Hasn't done in the 4 seasons I have seen. farmerman introduced the spreads. He suggested the game was stupid played any other way. So if interlopers count in your attempt to round up players into your pen there are triplets. And McGentrix has approved. So that's quads. George is interested--that's quintuplets. Most haven't commented. I could justify claiming at least two of the ambiguous comments. Tico and Region.

Your snotty remark is uncalled for. You're an overdog picker and thus bound to finish high in the standings as long as nobody else follows that route. As I proved with my back to back titles which are what I think gets up your nose. I used the method because I had no other guide to NFL form and set myself to play in order to find out more about it.

I introduced the spreads because they give everybody an equal chance. Why should a point off the Packers (1 to 7) be equal to a point from the Buccs? There's only one reason I can see and it is to ensure that overdog pickers can preen at the top of rjb's standings. And the feat is impossible to avoid. One might not always fall off a log but one will always be near the top of the standings by picking the overdogs unless everybody else does in which case there will be a 20-way tie for the standings title.

And, if it suits, near the bottom by picking all the underdogs which is just as straightforward.

I'll give you a free interest in the Wembley Game. I've backed the Rams with 8 points start I got off an NFL fan in the pub. At evens. So you can shout for the Pats (1 to 3) for a genuine reason.

It would be almost as good as winning money seeing spendi lose it wouldn't it? Free fun--can't be bad.

I have no twin mate.

Ticomaya

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 10:18 am
@JPLosman0711,
JPLosman0711 wrote:
One other interesting thought.

I find it odd that people are 'brave' enough to thumb down a post in anonymity but are far too cowardly to take the time to muster up an intellectual reply.

Curious, no?

Curious? No.

I suspect that when a poster turns out to be a douche bag, or is perceived as a douche bag, their posts often get thumbed down, sans reading. Do you suppose you have achieved this "honor"?
realjohnboy

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 10:34 am
@spendius,
If it is such a great idea why don't you start a new thread: Spendius' NFL Spread Game? You will get some folks who play here but also new people who find our game too dull.
I would be happy to help you set it up on A2k.
JPLosman0711

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 10:48 am
@Ticomaya,
That's fine, broski.

If there ever was a modern-day Jesus you would all thumbs down his posts and block him on facebook too. Kinda like modern day crucifixion, eh?
edgarblythe

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 11:56 am
The Steelers look like a swarm of bees this afternoon.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 12:06 pm
@realjohnboy,
It is not a great idea John. As farmerman pointed out long ago.

I've looked at the Sport forum and there is not much interest in anything.

Anyway--it seems impertinent for me to start an NFL thread. A sideshow on here is better I think. People are free to take it or leave it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 12:18 pm
Meanwhile, I take it subways and buses and commuter trains will be stopping in New York this evening. I can imagine a lot of people will face going for a long walkabout.
Probably a good thing the Giants game is at Dallas, as trains close at 7 pm est.
realjohnboy

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 12:25 pm
@ossobuco,
The NFL got lucky regarding the scheduling tonight and tomorrow night.
Region Philbis

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 02:29 pm
@realjohnboy,

they said the pates & rams'll prolly hafta stay over an extra night...
realjohnboy

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 02:35 pm
Through the ten games thus far, Tico is 8-2. JPB, Johnboy and Wandeljw are 7-3.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 02:46 pm
@realjohnboy,
Was that a record for the number of flags in one game?

The Rams were obviously on a fun week in London. In boxing the purse would be withheld for a show like that.

And right after the Manchester United/Chelsea game too. They'll never sell games like that week in and week out from August to May in England. Once is a bit of a jape. No wonder they keep the supply of fixtures to a small number.

It's a business proposition dealing with intangibles in almost perfect form. Only the RC Church can work a franchise in intangibles better than NFL.

The basic idea of the spread game is to give players a vicarious, watered-down, sense of betting, dealing in tangibles, without risking any dough. To try to make them bloody well care. Only inert masses of glop don't care. In which case being on the thread means caring about something else. Such a whacking-off on us. Not the NFL at all. Just whacking-off glop.

And to think that it's me who gets accused of that. It's mind boggling.