The A2k NFL "Pick-Um" Game Is Back!

spendius

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 02:47 pm
@Region Philbis,
So the Rams can continue the piss-up for another day.
0 Replies

George

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 03:43 pm
I listened to the Patriots game while driving home from Connecticut.
This nonsense of playing NFL games in Europe has got to stop. It's
not going to arouse any interest over there in the best case, and if
you insist on staging mismatches, you'll get nothing but catcalls.

The experiment is a failure. Get over it.
Region Philbis

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 04:27 pm
@George,

for what it's worth, Mr. Kraft disagrees with ya...
edgarblythe

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 04:59 pm
Giants Cowboys has turned into a contest in the second half.
Ticomaya

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 04:59 pm
@JPLosman0711,
JPLosman0711 wrote:
If there ever was a modern-day Jesus you would all thumbs down his posts and block him on facebook too. Kinda like modern day crucifixion, eh?

Do you fancy you're a modern-day Jesus?
Region Philbis

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 05:54 pm
@edgarblythe,

perhaps the most bizarre QB stat line of all time...

Code: C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT SACKS RTG
T. Romo 36/62 437 7.0 1 4 4-22 58.3
spendius

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 06:00 pm
@spendius,
I said earlier--

Quote:
It's a business proposition dealing with intangibles in almost perfect form. Only the RC Church can work a franchise in intangibles better than NFL.

After seeing the last 10 seconds of the Giants/Cowboys game I am going to reconsider that statement.
0 Replies

JPLosman0711

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 06:11 pm
@Ticomaya,
You're not worth talking to.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 06:16 pm
@George,
Quote:
I listened to the Patriots game while driving home from Connecticut.

You should have seen it on TV George. It was pitiful. How anybody can watch stuff like that week in week out in the pouring rain and meat and potato pies at $8 passes my comprehension.

What happens if there is a flag on every play as one might expect there to be? In our game the ref sends players off and, I think, if either team get to 7 players the match is called off. So if a team is losing 8-0 with ten minutes on the clock the correct strategy is to start kicking the ref or using unseemly language about his sister.

Let the cops deal with it under the "conduct likely to cause a breach of the peace" regulations and then it's down to a jury.

Ragman

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 06:21 pm
@Region Philbis,
4 picks and numerous turnovers sunk them. I'd hate to have been a fan in Jerry's Billion Dollar Playpen today. They could've won this one. I'd be pretty bitter if was Boyz-fan.

Boyz are addicted to losing. They will alsways find a way. Coach Garrett will eventually lose his job, rightfully so.

Giants conversely always find a way to win.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 06:22 pm
@Region Philbis,
If I have time this week I will explain Mr Kraft's position in the No Spin Zone.
0 Replies

George

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 06:38 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
For what he's worth, he can afford to.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Sun 28 Oct, 2012 07:28 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
You should have seen it on TV George. It was pitiful. How anybody can watch stuff like that week in week out in the pouring rain and meat and potato pies at $8 passes my comprehension.

That's why we have a roof on our stadium. Also, the rain doesn't often pour down here ... one advantage to living in the desert. And I don't think we sell meat and potato pies.

Quote:
What happens if there is a flag on every play as one might expect there to be?

You have surely watched enough NFL games to know the answer to that question. Each flag carries a penalty, which is enforced in terms of yardage on the field.

Quote:
In our game the ref sends players off and, I think, if either team get to 7 players the match is called off. So if a team is losing 8-0 with ten minutes on the clock the correct strategy is to start kicking the ref or using unseemly language about his sister.

In soccer, 7 players are required on each side to start a game. A game shouldn't continue if there are less than 7 players on a side. So if a team starts kicking the ref, once they don't have 7 players on the field, the game cannot continue, and the other team wins. Not the "correct" strategy, in my view.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 29 Oct, 2012 08:15 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:

I don't suppose for one moment that Mr Kraft thinks that we are unaware of what he is up to.

There is in England a more or less provisionally fixed amount of purchasing power. He is seeking a slice of that money and without him contributing to an increase in the level of that purchasing power it is inevitable that other business interests will lose by whatever amount he gains.

Those other interests have not yet bothered to offer any resistance to his salesmanship because as things stand he has not penetrated the market sufficiently to cause them to be worried.

When he says things like "we believe we're the premier sport in the world," he is obviously being somewhat economical with the truth.

NFL is a provincial game which has no chance of ever becoming a worldwide sport for a number of reasons some of which I have mentioned in passing during my participation on rjb's threads.

There were plenty of empty seats last night. The cameras tried to avoid them being seen but failed to do so sufficiently.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Mon 29 Oct, 2012 12:17 pm
Johnboy is 10-3 and has San Francisco tonight. Wandeljw and Tico are also at 10-3 and are choosing Arizona, Wandeljw with a final score of 21-17 = 38 and Tico with a score of 14-10 = 24. If Az wins and the total points scored is 30 or less, Tico wins. If Az wins and there are 32 or more points scored, win for Wandeljw.
Ticomaya

Mon 29 Oct, 2012 12:48 pm
@realjohnboy,
Let's hope for a defensive struggle and the home team wins!
ossobuco

Mon 29 Oct, 2012 01:29 pm
@Ticomaya,
Let's hope Vernon Davis scores 35.5 points.
realjohnboy

Mon 29 Oct, 2012 01:30 pm
Crossing the halfway point in the season...

WEEK #9-
Thur Nov 1st-
Kansas City @ San Diego
Sun Nov 4th early-
Arizona @ Green Bay
Detroit @ Jacksonville
Chicago @ Tennessee
Denver @ Cincinnati
Carolina @ Washington
Baltimore @ Cleveland
Miami @ Indianapolis
Buffalo @ Houston
Sun late-
Minnesota @ Seattle
Tampa Bay @ Oakland
Pittsburgh @ NY Giants
Sun night-
Dallas @ Atlanta
Mon Nov 5th night-
Philadelphia @ New Orleans (+ score)

Housekeeping: Sandy may affect me and possibly some of you. Remember, you are welcome to vote early. You can change your pick in the 1st game until kickoff Thursday night and you can change choices in the remaining 13 games anytime prior to kickoff of the first game on Sunday.
It could be an interesting few days. Take care.
Ticomaya

Mon 29 Oct, 2012 02:02 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Let's hope Vernon Davis scores 35.5 points.

http://imageshack.us/a/img543/5569/jhnn.png
Ticomaya

Mon 29 Oct, 2012 02:06 pm
WEEK #9:

San Diego
RED BIRDS
Detroit
Chicago
Denver
Washington
Baltimore
Indianapolis