The A2k NFL "Pick-Um" Game Is Back!

realjohnboy

Thu 25 Oct, 2012 01:10 pm
We've heard from everyone except the Cowdoc's. I hope they get their picks in later today.
Fiveteen of us have the Vikings. Tico, McGentrix and Region are picking the Buckaroos.
spendius

Thu 25 Oct, 2012 01:11 pm
@George,
Quote:
Am I the only one who gives a rat's patootie?

No you're not George. There is no sport I don't like. I have to prioritise to get away from TV. I have a HD 47 incher.

It's a great metaphor for the underlying economic situation. In both the game itself and the spectacle created around it. Panem et circenses. It's as basic as that. The bullshit stops assuming there's no fixing.

Nobody can demean Lance Armstrong in my eyes.

One might need a psychiatrist to unravel why anybody who doesn't care about football comes on this thread. Or bookies.

I spend about three hours on Tues. morning getting the spread results posted. If people respect blurted insults, usually long washed out cliches, more than that what can I do about it?

The scenes at Ascot last Saturday when Frankel won it's 14th Group 1 race on the trot and was then retired, unbeaten, to stud, will long live in the memory. With it's trainer, Sir Henry Cecil, being almost speechless with chemotherapy, the emotions were given a good exercise.

When Red Rum passed away it was the first item on the News. England is a sporting and gambling nation.

McGentrix

Thu 25 Oct, 2012 01:14 pm
@spendius,
Well Spendius, I certainly appreciate both your posts and your efforts.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 25 Oct, 2012 01:21 pm
@spendius,
I've liked football for more than five decades, but the winning and the losing isn't my key interest. My interests have always been the stories of the players and sometimes of the coaches, and of the teams as a group. And sometimes the sheer beauty of some of the playing. I've no interest at all in the spread, but I can scroll by that.

I've liked this thread because it is plain old fun to read and participate in. I like fantasy football too, still mostly for the stories, which I get involved in as a chase re whom to choose as a running back in a given week. The stats too, but more the considerations re opposing players and their competences. Plus some guessing.
spendius

Thu 25 Oct, 2012 01:41 pm
@ossobuco,
There are a continuous series of great stories about sportsmen here. There's been one big one running all week. They usually concern sex. The one this week is about racial abuse. It's an echo of a far bigger story concerning racial abuse which involved the England captain in a criminal trial (not guilty) and him losing the captaincy. That's been going on for months. The alleged victim of the abuse on the field of play is the brother of the player at the centre of this week's row. He plays for Manchester United which is American owned.
ossobuco

Thu 25 Oct, 2012 01:53 pm
@spendius,
I'm still a football/soccer dummy, but I like the game and tune in to reading about it once in a while. I see the Guardian articles but don't get into them much, did read about the captain - was that Scott? Did read about Frankel doing so well in his retirement race, loved it. Slowish start, if I remember. And he was unbeaten.

I liked Swaps in the K Derby before I liked football/u.s. Followed horse stories for years.
spendius

Thu 25 Oct, 2012 05:19 pm
@ossobuco,
The thing about "We don't care about football" leaves us in the same position when winning the week or the 2012-3 Title as a kid in an ESN school who can spell CAT.

Beating the bookies is on a whole other level.
Miz Cowdoc

Thu 25 Oct, 2012 05:47 pm
@JPB,
Just walked in please give me Minn for tonight.
Thanks
0 Replies

CowDoc

Thu 25 Oct, 2012 05:53 pm
@realjohnboy,
The Miz and I have been working cattle at Patterson all day (85 miles south of home) so been out in the snow and wind. Actually talked her into going along! I'm sure it will cost me, but it was still a good day.....

Minnesota
New York Jets
San Diego
Tennessee
New England
Green Bay
Atlanta
Pittsburgh
Seattle
Chicago
Oakland
New York Giants
Denver
San Francisco 24, Arizona 21
Miz Cowdoc

Thu 25 Oct, 2012 06:02 pm
@realjohnboy,
Minn
Jets
San Diego
Tenn
New Eng
Green Bay
Philly
Pitts
Detroit
Chicago
Oakland
Giants
New. Orleans

SF 27-21
0 Replies

JPB

Thu 25 Oct, 2012 06:05 pm
@George,
George wrote:

I like our pick'em just the way it is and I also like spendius's additional
information about the spread. But I never go strictly on who's favored
because it's more fun if I can out-guess the smart money.

+1
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 25 Oct, 2012 06:12 pm
@spendius,
Speak for your self, hun. I get we all differ. Each to his or her own, fine with me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 25 Oct, 2012 06:16 pm
@CowDoc,
Laughs..

I'll probably stop laughing and grumble when you blitz again.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 26 Oct, 2012 03:16 am
Buccs pickers +$25.
Ticomaya

Fri 26 Oct, 2012 08:22 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Buccs pickers +$25.

http://imageshack.us/a/img690/1033/homerwoohoop.jpg
George

Fri 26 Oct, 2012 08:31 am
@Ticomaya,
Dang
Ragman

Fri 26 Oct, 2012 08:36 am
@George,
Games like last night's make me so glad that I don't bet real money (or using the spread--- a sucker's game). I had a fair amount of conviction Packers in a cakewalk over the Jag-offs.
George

Fri 26 Oct, 2012 08:43 am
@Ragman,
One thing about last night, if you love the ground game it was a blast.
spendius

Fri 26 Oct, 2012 08:51 am
@Ticomaya,
Vikes pickers --$25.

My ratings table has become a bit jumbled up.
0 Replies

Ragman

Fri 26 Oct, 2012 08:54 am
@George,
Yeah, that fame was fun to watch for me, fo sho! Giotta love Peterson. How he healed so well from his somewhat recent injury should be patented as a miracle cure. And I thought Bucs had no defense. ...doooh!
0 Replies