Bengals

Mon.

Bears 28-17
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 18 Oct, 2012 04:58 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:
Driving milk cows to be milked along country lanes is a hell of a lot different than driving beef cattle, especially cattle that have been allowed to graze on open land their entire lives.

I can well believe it. Frank Harris describes a drive of a few thousand from Abilene to Kansas City but most literary experts reckon he made it all up.
spendius

Thu 18 Oct, 2012 05:03 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Meantime, big trouble in the central valley area, with cattle ranchers of all sorts going bankrupt, a few committing suicide, due to a big pinch re cost of feed and too low pricing for them, especially milk.

Gee--that's sad. Do they not know the exact number? Is it necessary to be a victim of the terrorists to be counted up accurately?
Ticomaya

Thu 18 Oct, 2012 05:53 pm
@spendius,
Abilene, Kansas, or Abilene, Texas? (150 miles vs. 630 miles)

Harris was a Kansas lawyer. Can't be all bad ...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 18 Oct, 2012 06:07 pm
@spendius,
Well, here -
http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/Calif-expected-to-lose-100-dairy-farms-3946897.php
0 Replies

CowDoc

Thu 18 Oct, 2012 07:31 pm
@spendius,
Spendi, I'm pretty sure there is no part of a cow that I haven't seen the back of close up, ears included.
spendius

Fri 19 Oct, 2012 11:17 am
@CowDoc,
To "see" is a relative thing Cowie. When I was a kid we called all American westerns "Cowies". Had they made Brokeback Mountain in those days (perish the thought!!) it would have been called a Cowie.

I was once almost stunned by the beauty of the back of a cow's ear.

49ers pickers lost $1 on the spreads. Seahawks pickers won £1.
0 Replies

Ragman

Fri 19 Oct, 2012 04:22 pm
@realjohnboy,
NFL Pick-‘em Week #7 - Oct 18th - Oct 22

Thursday, 10/18:
Seattle @ SF (Game's been played)

Sunday, 10/21 - early:
Ariz @ Minn
Dallas @ Carol
NO @ TB
GB @ St Louis
Wash @ NY Giants
Balt @ Houst
Tenn @ Buff
Cleve @ Indy

Sunday - late:
NY Jets @ NE crush 'em like a bug
Jax @ Oak

Sunday - night:
Pitts @ Cincy

Monday, 10/22 - night:
Detroit @ Chic
Score 28-17
realjohnboy

Fri 19 Oct, 2012 04:27 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Quote:
(16) Mysteryman (46-45 .505) is tied with
(16) Johnboy
(16) JPB and
(16) Edgar

Not to be a nag, but I think I'm at 48-43 after going 6-8 last week.

48-43 ties JPB with Rhys in 14th place. I'll try to correct things after this week.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 19 Oct, 2012 05:05 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Seattle @ SF (Game's been played)

Even osso and jespah and ehBeth know that Raggie.
ossobuco

Fri 19 Oct, 2012 05:15 pm
@spendius,
I'm going to call you Mog, short for misogyn.
spendius

Fri 19 Oct, 2012 05:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Feel free osso. I can defend myself on that score.
realjohnboy

Fri 19 Oct, 2012 05:48 pm
@spendius,
For some perverse reason I've followed Msolga's coverage of Australian politics on A2k for years.
Prime Minister Julia Gillards accused opposition leader Tony Abbott of misogyny.
The keeper of the Australian language is the dictionary Macquarie who today expanded the definition of the word. It had been a "pathological hatred of women." Now the second definition is "entrenched prejudice against women."

Let's finish talking about cows.
ossobuco

Fri 19 Oct, 2012 06:05 pm
@realjohnboy,
But wait - there's an article about the definition just yesterday in the Guardian.
The distinctions are made by women younger than I am, waves hand.
Which brings up a book I just finished while hating it, The First Rumpole Omnibus. Most aggravating book I've read in a long time, part of that being his weirdness toward women. Is that typically Brit? I've no idea how widespread that was or is.

Cows, I've a friend who painted cow paintings I've enjoyed, who showed with us, Willa Briggs. She's a fast painter, lot of motion in her work. She painted those cows in Ferndale many times, fingerprints of cowness.

spendius

Sat 20 Oct, 2012 03:35 am
@realjohnboy,
Misogyny is a much misused word. A lot of people have taken to using it as an insult to direct criticism at those men who consider women to be radically different from men without the slightest intention of disparaging them. In my eyes those sorts of men love women the most and they think that the real misogynists are those men who see women as being a smaller and physically weaker version of themselves and who, for their own purposes are leading them into a dead end. (Pun intended).

I see women as wonderful creatures, the salt of the earth and rulers of the world. There is no art of the slightest value which is not inspired by women.

Men are, as Ms Greer famously said, "like carrots--cheap and plentiful and easily cooked".

I am taking trouble with the spread game for no other reason than to give osso, jespah, Miz and Ehbeth and even break over the dedicated followers of fashion.

I am sick of men who blurt out this term as an excuse to be failing to look after women. As if calling me a misogynist somehow makes it alright. "An honest man bears watching" somebody once said.

spendius

Sat 20 Oct, 2012 03:39 am
@ossobuco,
Andy Warhol had a cow wallpaper.

http://www.bexsimon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/andy-warhol-cows.jpg
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Sat 20 Oct, 2012 08:29 am
@spendius,
Every year we have a diversion in this thread concerning spendi's misogyny ...

spendius wrote:
Misogyny is a much misused word. A lot of people have taken to using it as an insult to direct criticism at those men who consider women to be radically different from men without the slightest intention of disparaging them.

As I see it, you do consider women to be radically different from men, and you do disparage them regardless of whether you intend to do so (although I certainly think you intend to). You believe women -- simply because they are women -- cannot do many things as well as men, including being knowledgeable about sports. This, no doubt, extends to the business world, where you probably think women are also incapable of being as successful as men. That's clearly sexist, and not the view of an evolved male.

You consider women to be inherently inferior creatures, but claim to love them and have their best interests at heart. I think it's a fine line between viewing women as inferior, and misogyny.
http://imageshack.us/a/img155/2747/125070340.jpg
realjohnboy

Sat 20 Oct, 2012 02:15 pm
Back to football! The Cowdoc's are yet to weigh in with the rest of their picks and Ehbeth owes us a selection on Wash @ NYG's.
spendius

Sat 20 Oct, 2012 03:08 pm
@Ticomaya,
I presume you don't see much ballet or opera or listen to many songs.
spendius

Sat 20 Oct, 2012 03:31 pm
@spendius,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsTqmEeBKhw
0 Replies