The A2k NFL "Pick-Um" Game Is Back!

realjohnboy

Thu 11 Oct, 2012 04:19 pm
@Miz Cowdoc,
Yippee! We have a full house. Players are certainly welcome to change picks.

All of us have Pittsburgh tonight except Jespah and McGentrix.
Miz C joined the game a bit late but she will be included in the standings beginning this week.
CowDoc

Thu 11 Oct, 2012 10:09 pm
@realjohnboy,
How the hell did Tennessee beat the Steelers?
Ticomaya

Thu 11 Oct, 2012 11:08 pm
@CowDoc,
40 yard field goal.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Thu 11 Oct, 2012 11:16 pm
@spendius,
that image would be easy enough to quash, spendie, were it not for some of the blokes getting interviewed on the telly, and showing the public that they are in fact almost as smart as rocks...

spendius

Fri 12 Oct, 2012 09:29 am
@Rockhead,
Have you seen them do our wives Rockie?

BTW--Steelers --$9. Titans +$9.
spendius

Fri 12 Oct, 2012 01:57 pm
@spendius,
As we sometimes engage in a bit of friendly banter concerning our respective national sports I wondered what the team thinks about the big game tonight here.

England are playing San Marino at Wembley. San Marino has a population of less than half the crowd in the Stadium. 30,000 or so. It's players all have full time jobs. One is a bar owner. Two accountants. An electrician. That sort of thing. A bit like Tico.

England's players are all millionaire, top notch footballers.

And it's a game. It's a bit one sided but it is a game. It took England 35 minutes to score. And that was a penalty. A paltry 2--0 at half time.

What would happen if the 49ers played the Peoria North End team under NFL rules? And PNE has a 60,000 population. And the 49ers are not even the national football team. They can only have a small share of the best players. England's players are the best we have available in every position.

Would any of you be sadistic enough to go to see the 49ers play a PNE team representing a population double that of San Marino. I think it would be banned under the cruel and unusual punishment legislation.

As I can do anything I like in a thought experiment I am putting the 49ers on $5,000 a point team bonus.
Rockhead

Fri 12 Oct, 2012 02:01 pm
@spendius,
they're playing tennis, are they?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Fri 12 Oct, 2012 02:54 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
As we sometimes engage in a bit of friendly banter concerning our respective national sports I wondered what the team thinks about the big game tonight here.

England are playing San Marino at Wembley.

That qualifies as a "big game"?

<googles "San Marino">

Quote:
A bit like Tico.

That's a bit of an assumption, innit?

Quote:
What would happen if the 49ers played the Peoria North End team under NFL rules?

Peoria North End has a football team?

<googles "Peoria North End " ... no luck>

Quote:
And the 49ers are not even the national football team. They can only have a small share of the best players. England's players are the best we have available in every position.

Except they are evidently quite exhausted.

That settles it then: Not the best NFL players are waay better than the best England has available in every position.
Ragman

Fri 12 Oct, 2012 03:46 pm
@Ticomaya,
... unless it's being best at taking a dive!! Drunk <guinness>
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Fri 12 Oct, 2012 04:41 pm
For the second week in a row - and third time this season - the outcome of the Thursday night game has been disappointing to most of us. Jespah and McGentrix chose Tennessee last night (along with CoinToss). In week #5, Ehbeth (and CoinToss) had St Louis over Arizona. And in week #1, only George and Rhys (and CoinToss) had Dallas over the Giants.
We agree on about 80% of our picks this week. We split on St Louis @ Miami. We all have Atlanta over Oakland. On the rest we divide 17-3 down to 15-5 or so.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 12 Oct, 2012 05:01 pm
@Ticomaya,
The thing is Tico that England's 5--0 win did not cover the spread and those who chose them to win in rjb's type of game were all awarded a point for being so clairvoyant but it my game lost $20 each assuming they were minimum stake bettors.

If I had more time I would allow players to adjust their stakes on each game. I would need to impose a limit though because otherwise jespah might bet a million on the Raiders and keep her delicate fingers crossed. And JP Losman would bet $39. 94 on the Falcs for no other reason than to give me a headache.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Sat 13 Oct, 2012 04:57 pm
In the A2k NFL "Pick-Um" Game we are off to a shaky start. But we agree as a group on about 80% of the remaining games.
But some of us are more agreeable then others. Cowdoc is out of step with the majority on just one game (he has Green Bay). Region (KC), Wandeljw (NYG) and Johnboy (Cle) are in the same group. A bunch of players agree with the majority in all but two games.
And JPLosman, Jespah, McGentrix and AndyD differ on five of the thirteen remaining contests.
realjohnboy

Sun 14 Oct, 2012 02:41 pm
Detroit @ Philly ... overtime.
Ragman

Sun 14 Oct, 2012 03:11 pm
@realjohnboy,
Detroit FG result 26-23. oh well
0 Replies

CowDoc

Sun 14 Oct, 2012 03:31 pm
@realjohnboy,
I knew it was going to be a tough week - too many potential 50/50 games. Just didn't know it would be quite this abysmal.
realjohnboy

Sun 14 Oct, 2012 03:53 pm
@CowDoc,
Yes, tough week so far.
Osso, JPLosman, JPB, Tico, Jespah and Ragman are 5-3.
spendius

Sun 14 Oct, 2012 05:12 pm
@realjohnboy,
Is it true that the suggestion I made over two years ago that in OT both sides get a possession?
Ticomaya

Sun 14 Oct, 2012 05:39 pm
@spendius,
Yes. The NFL listened to you.
ossobuco

Sun 14 Oct, 2012 06:08 pm
@realjohnboy,
Last I looked, I'm in big trouble for the next in line.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 14 Oct, 2012 08:11 pm
Texans are disappointing so far.
0 Replies