The Herd of Independent Minds

parados

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 09:23 am
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

Addicted to the Kool aid, huh? Getting rhetoric confused with truth is dangerous.

Rabel was referring to this which I posted a link to.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-maher/todd-akin-republicans_b_1826617.html

Different article from the left side this time. Like all good rhetoric it has some truth in it. Whether that truth is restricted to the argument in question or is universal is in the eye of the beholder.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 10:23 am
@RABEL222,
Cons seem angrier than libs, why do you suppose
parados

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 10:25 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Cons seem angrier than libs, why do you suppose

Their koolaid doesn't have sugar?
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 10:27 am
@McGentrix,
Cons seem ‘way angrier than libs, Gent, why do you suppose
IRFRANK

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 05:21 pm
@parados,
I love Maher, because I usually agree with him, but I can tell the difference between truth and comedy.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 10:56 pm
@IRFRANK,
There is usually more truth in comedy than political advertisement.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 11:30 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Cons seem ‘way angrier than libs, Gent, why do you suppose

Because you agree with the libs and therefore do not see the anger. Both sides seem to be angry, but libs get far more grating with there anger. And far more personal in their attacks.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 11:43 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Quote:

Just about any gregarious conservative can register the same complaint: his friends of a liberal persuasion firmly believe in evolution,

<snip>

In short, it is always the same mantra, demonstrably stupid and illogical,

What a juicy nugget of truth we have here. This is the most brutally honest observation of modern liberalism I have read.

McG - not a believer in evolution?
parados

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 11:44 am
@McGentrix,
Because repeatedly calling a college student a slut isn't really a personal attack?
McGentrix

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 11:47 am
@ehBeth,
Shocked
ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 11:53 am
@McGentrix,
DrewDad's asked you a couple of times - I thought I'd go back to the original and see what he was on about - and ... you said "what a juicy nugget of truth" following on the article's author saying that belief in evolution was demonstrably stupid and illogical.

Politics gets kinda crazy heated sometimes, but really, this was a surprise.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 12:02 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

DrewDad's asked you a couple of times - I thought I'd go back to the original and see what he was on about - and ... you said "what a juicy nugget of truth" following on the article's author saying that belief in evolution was demonstrably stupid and illogical.

Politics gets kinda crazy heated sometimes, but really, this was a surprise.

I didn't THAT was the juicy nugget of truth. Nugget, as in a small piece of a whole... Start reading from the third paragraph of the article. Everyone here seems hung up on evolution. As though the entire article is about that when it's not.

I have ignored Drewdad's request because he is just being a dink. But, to answer you, of course I believe in evolution. It would be silly not too considering I have a BA in Biology and studied the bloody thing.

But, what about some of the other tid-bits in the opening paragraph. Do you find yourself saying yes to every single thing listed?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 12:04 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Because repeatedly calling a college student a slut isn't really a personal attack?

This point is really worth discussion, more than the evolution issue. How anyone can think that the Dems are more personal than the GOP when it comes to political attacks is just, beyond comprehension.

Cycloptichorn
McGentrix

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 12:10 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Not beyond comprehension at all. Maybe you just have a hard time recognizing it when it happens.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 12:11 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Do you find yourself saying yes to every single thing listed?

no
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 12:13 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Not beyond comprehension at all. Maybe you just have a hard time recognizing it when it happens.

And the same couldn't be said for your opinion? You seem to be silent on the repeated pattern of personal attacks that typifies the modern GOP.

Cycloptichorn
ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 12:22 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Everyone here seems hung up on evolution.

I suspect that's because it's the only thing people "on the left" are likely to agree on.

I don't think there is a tribe on the rest of that first paragraph. I 'firmly' agree with perhaps 2 of the other points, disagree with several and think the rest are, to be kind to the author, overstatements.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 12:23 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Sad state of current affairs. There is no doubt that both sides are guilty of personal attacks, but the liberals are more prolific about it. How many personal attacks were made at Bush? Palin?

The GOP dare not make too many personal attacks on Obama lest they be branded racists. Because everyone knows that if you attack Obama, you HAVE to be a racist, right?
parados

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 12:23 pm
@McGentrix,

If you start reading from the third paragraph then you ignore that the author has set up a straw-man in the first 2 paragraphs. Of course he has a good argument against the straw-man. That's why he set it up that way.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 12:26 pm
@McGentrix,
Please list these personal attacks against Bush. I would suggest that for every one you list I can find a similar attack against Obama. I also bet I can find the attacks against Obama are more frequent and more likely to come from those considered mainstream.
0 Replies