12
   

The Herd of Independent Minds

 
 
DrewDad
 
  3  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 10:49 am
@McGentrix,
This guy is complaining that his friends believe in evolution... and you take anything else that he says seriously?

Doesn't the complaint of his friends believing in evolution imply that he is a young earther or intelligent design devotee?

IMO, that alone makes everything else that comes out of his mouth (or keyboard) worthy of dismissal.
Setanta
 
  0  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 11:15 am
@DrewDad,
Of course he doesn't believe in evolution, the goofy old monkey.
McGentrix
 
  0  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 11:54 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

This guy is complaining that his friends believe in evolution... and you take anything else that he says seriously?

Doesn't the complaint of his friends believing in evolution imply that he is a young earther or intelligent design devotee?

IMO, that alone makes everything else that comes out of his mouth (or keyboard) worthy of dismissal.


Cyc, let's use Drewdad as an example of what the author was speaking of. He read one sentance, and on that basis, everything else must be false. Despite the author merely using a set of examples.

At no time does the author claim to express any value of his own convictions pertaining to the example used towards the liberal mantra, yet because he mentions evolution, he must therefore be a liar and can not possible be taken seriously. A perfect example of "shaming code".

First, duck the argument. Second, nitpick. Third, vilify.
DrewDad
 
  3  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 11:56 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Cyc, let's use Drewdad as an example of what the author was speaking of. He read one sentance, and on that basis, everything else must be false.

No, that's not what I said. Read it again; can you tell me where you went wrong?


Spoiler: It's not about everything being wrong; it's about judging him to be an unreliable source.
McGentrix
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 12:00 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Of course he doesn't believe in evolution, the goofy old monkey.


I missed the part where he said that. There is certainly an implication, but that's about it.
McGentrix
 
  0  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 12:02 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

McGentrix wrote:
Cyc, let's use Drewdad as an example of what the author was speaking of. He read one sentance, and on that basis, everything else must be false.

No, that's not what I said. Read it again; can you tell me where you went wrong?


Spoiler: It's not about everything being wrong; it's about judging him to be an unreliable source.


So liberals do not firmly believe in evolution? Because he says they do.
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 12:05 pm
Your boy says "gregarious conservatives" (don't do us any ******* favors) register a complaint which includes, among a lot of other drivel, that liberals believe in evolution. That implies that conservatives don't, otherwise, why would they complain? You say this horseshit is true, so one reasonably infers that you don't believe it either.
DrewDad
 
  4  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 12:07 pm
@McGentrix,
So it's OK for his friends of a conservative persuasion to firmly believe in evolution? Just not OK if the friend is a liberal?

That's the hair you're going to try to split?

<snork>

Face it. You reposted something dumb, and no you're flailing around trying to justify it.
McGentrix
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 12:10 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Your boy says "gregarious conservatives" (don't do us any ******* favors) register a complaint which includes, among a lot of other drivel, that liberals believe in evolution. That implies that conservatives don't, otherwise, why would they complain? You say this horseshit is true, so one reasonably infers that you don't believe it either.


Firstly, he's not my "boy".

Secondly, you are stuck in the first paragraph. The article is about liberal group think. That is where the bits of truth I spoke of lie. Move past the first paragraph that is only used to demonstrate liberals (as a group) typical mantra.

Quote:
"It is this code that makes the members of the group feel as one," writes Lee Harris. "They are disgusted, angered, delighted and shamed by the same things. The unanimity of their visceral response is what provides the powerful sense of collective identity. It makes them feel and think as a tribal Us, in contrast to those tribes who are not disgusted by what disgusts us, or made angry by what makes us angry, and who feel no shame at what we think of as shameful[.] ... A tribe that shares a powerful visceral code that inhibits the natural tendency of the individual to self-assertion will present a united front against its enemies."


McGentrix
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 12:11 pm
@DrewDad,
Nonsense. I think it hits to close to home for you and you are disregarding it due to the light being shown down upon you.
DrewDad
 
  3  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 12:16 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
So liberals do not firmly believe in evolution? Because he says they do.

Not sure where you're going with this hand-waiving... other than trying to turn the conversation away from the obvious conclusion that this guy is an anti-science goofball.

You're welcome to spend your time listening to, seeking out, befriending, debating, or otherwise associating with anti-science goofballs. Knock yourself out.

But I will only laugh at you if you offer commentary from an anti-science goofball.
McGentrix
 
  0  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 12:18 pm
@DrewDad,
If that is your conclusion then I think you should quit embarrassing yourself with your lack of reading comprehension.
DrewDad
 
  3  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 12:19 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
the light being shown down upon you.

Oh nohz! McGentrix tricksied me into admitting I believe in evolutionarianism!

Turn out the light, precious!



lulz.
0 Replies
 
Cycloptichorn
 
  3  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 12:24 pm
I still don't understand why you don't think this applies as much - actually, more - to Conservatives as it does Liberals.

It's been my long-standing experience here on A2K that the majority of Conservatives do precious little research on political topics, and are far more likely to simply parrot poorly-thought out arguments that they've seen on various right-wing blogs than they are to ever come up with original and well-thought out arguments of their own.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies
 
DrewDad
 
  3  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 12:25 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

If that is your conclusion then I think you should quit embarrassing yourself with your lack of reading comprehension.

If you don't come to that conclusion then I think you should quit embarrassing yourself.



He says: One of the horrible things about liberals is their firm belief in evolution.

E-gads! Liberals! Their belief in science is unassailable!

To the Apothecary! We must find a philter that will purge this noxious humor!
McGentrix
 
  0  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 12:27 pm
@DrewDad,
No, really, please stop. It's difficult to watch you keep going on like that.
Cycloptichorn
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 12:31 pm
Perhaps the crowd here simply can't properly respond to such a ridiculous piece in the fashion you like, because it's not possible to take such tripe seriously.

For example:

Quote:
Conservatives are usually reluctant ideological warriors. For the most part, they want only to be left alone, to live and let live. Having won a battle, they sigh with relief and waste no time beating their swords into ploughshares.


Does this writer have any awareness of the reality of politics whatsoever? The above statement is about as far from the truth as one could possibly get.

Cycloptichorn
DrewDad
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 12:35 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
The article is about liberal group think. That is where the bits of truth I spoke of lie.

Spend your time gleaning truth from the chaff of this guy's idiocy, if that makes you happy.

I'll spend my time on things that are either a) more entertaining or b) have a higher signal-to-noise ratio.


McGentrix wrote:
Move past the first paragraph that is only used to demonstrate liberals (as a group) typical mantra.

Can you show me someone who professes all of that?

I doubt you can find one person who says all of that, let alone that it's the "typical mantra" of liberals.
DrewDad
 
  2  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 12:38 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

No, really, please stop. It's difficult to watch you keep going on like that.

I'm tolerably entertained, though.

Most of the time when people do something this dumb, I feel bad about ridiculing them for it.
0 Replies
 
McGentrix
 
  1  
Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 12:49 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

McGentrix wrote:
Move past the first paragraph that is only used to demonstrate liberals (as a group) typical mantra.

Can you show me someone who professes all of that?

I doubt you can find one person who says all of that, let alone that it's the "typical mantra" of liberals.


You just keep proving me right in your lack of reading comprehension.

See, you have missed the ENTIRE POINT. It's not about one person. It's about the herd mentality of liberals. How their anger and expressions of anger towards their political opponents is expressed. How they can not hold an actual conversation about any of those points without condemning the other side. It has become a tribal effort to denounce any opposition to the core tenants that liberals hold dear.

How else do you explain what can be seen on this site every day, or in the comment sections of places like kos, fark political threads, huffington, etc. It's group think done by individuals who all hold the same high-mindedness that they are correct and everyone else is wrong. It's the use of "shaming code". My spaghetti monster! You don't believe in evolution?! You must be a moron or some other misc. insult.

So, while I fully expect that you will continue not getting it, I enjoy participating in the process.
 

Related Topics

Obama '08? - Discussion by sozobe
Let's get rid of the Electoral College - Discussion by Robert Gentel
McCain's VP: - Discussion by Cycloptichorn
Food Stamp Turkeys - Discussion by H2O MAN
The 2008 Democrat Convention - Discussion by Lash
McCain is blowing his election chances. - Discussion by McGentrix
Snowdon is a dummy - Discussion by cicerone imposter
GAFFNEY: Whose side is Obama on? - Discussion by gungasnake
 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 11/26/2021 at 10:39:37