Difference in meaning between the sentences

JTT

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 05:16 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
"I heard the people sang" is ambiguous, and in and of itself, written as it is, it is a sentence fragment.

So which are we to take as your irrefutable proof that the sentence is ungrammatical, Infra, the fact that it is ambiguous or that it is a [music with deep dark ominous tones] sentence fragment.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 05:30 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Well yeah, if you're writing dialog.

My, but that was a quick retraction. I don't suspect that you'll now take the time to explain your previous judgments.

Quote:
Yeah, he can be anal about his prescriptive anti-prescriptivism.

That's as ignorant as saying that someone is prescriptive about debunking phrenology or flat earth theories.

Is that all they ever taught you in US grammar classes, sentence fragments and the nonsense about singular they/their/them?

Sentence fragments ARE NOT UNGRAMMATICAL!

To those idiots who were your grammar teachers, everything was ungrammatical. It was a down and dirty response to anything that they had no clue about, which, judging from so many of the responses, was pretty much everything they taught.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 12:37 am
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:

1. I heard the people sing.
2. I heard the people sang.

Thanks to all the forum members who have responded to my post.

I was confused by 'the people'. If I used 'they' or 'them' instead, both sentences would be clearly grammatically correct.

1. I heard them sing. (Here 'sang' would not work.)
2. I heard (that) they sang. (In this case, 'sang' is the correct verb with 'that' being optional.)

Correct me if I am wrong in my deduction.

Thanks.
McTag

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 02:14 am
@tanguatlay,

You are correct.

"The people" is quite a common usage, referring in general to a large group or even a nation.

There is a line from Les Miserables the musical which uses it in this way: it refers to "the people" in the sense of a political movement

Do you hear the people sing?
Singing a song of angry men?
It is the music of a people
Who will not be slaves again!
When the beating of your heart
Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes!

McTag

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 04:25 am
@McTag,

You could also look at The Gettysburg Address, a famous speech by a former American President

Quote:
that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
tanguatlay

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 05:09 am
@McTag,
Thanks, McTag.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 05:16 am
@tanguatlay,

avoid saying "you people" at all costs.
no good can come from it... Smile
oristarA

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 05:39 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

avoid saying "you people" at all costs.
no good can come from it... Smile

That would sound like the voice of a dictator or an idiot. Razz
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 08:42 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
CONVERSATION, IN WRITING, PART OF A BOOK:

He: So what did the people do...did they sing or did they just sit there not making a soundt? Did you get the scoop on that?

She: I heard the people sang.

Aso, "I heard the people sang" is written in context in your example.
JTT

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 08:08 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
That would sound like the voice of a dictator or an idiot.

Region is not a dictator.

Smile
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 08:14 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Aso, "I heard the people sang" is written in context in your example.

Is your contention now that sentences can be ungrammatical out of context but grammatical within a context, Infra?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 08:18 pm
@tanguatlay,
Quote:
I was confused by 'the people'. If I used 'they' or 'them' instead, both sentences would be clearly grammatically correct.

I'm not sure why 'the people' caused you confusion.

In defense of those ENLs who were confused, sometimes a sentence in isolation sounds odd. Put into a context, it's clear that it's a grammatical construct.

A: When the new pastor entered the church, the people were ecstatic.

B: Yes, they surely were.

C: I heard the people sang.
McTag

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 02:06 am
@JTT,

Elegant.
fresco

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 02:11 am
@JTT,
I suspect his "confusion" originates from case grammar distinctions which differ between languages. But unless we are familiar with his native language we can only speculate what contextual forces are operating to cause his confusion. This underscores the point that selective comparative couplets are themselves a function of cultural difference and cannot analysed by "traditional grammar"....hence your necessity of resorting to contextual "discourse analysis", which goes beyond grammars which take "the sentence" as their fundamental unit.( That point underlies "post-structural" views of language).

McTag

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 04:24 am
@fresco,

That's what I thought.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 12:06 pm
@McTag,
I think there's an intended lesson in there somewhere.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 12:33 pm
@JTT,
Your stabs at humor in this thread have been excellent, JTT. I've enjoyed your comments here more than in any other thread so far. Glad to see the lighter side of you.
JTT

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 02:23 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Garshuuuucks, ... aaaaawwwww geeeeeee ------ thanks, Frank. Embarrassed

Quote:
I've enjoyed your comments here more than in any other thread so far. Glad to see the lighter side of you.

Hate to spoil a warm moment but the truth is sometimes awfully hard to swallow, Frank.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 03:19 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Hate to spoil a warm moment but the truth is sometimes awfully hard to swallow, Frank.

"Warm" things and "hard to swallow" usually head in a different direction from this, JTT, but I appreciate the comment. Wink
0 Replies