Happiness--is it our own responsibility?

JLNobody

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 07:18 pm
truth
Letty, my VERY best wishes for you and your son.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 07:27 pm
I think we have "some" control over our emotions. It would depend upon our environment, our personal situation in that environment, and how the chemistry in our brain is cooperating with each other. Those of us in developed countries are lucky to have access to medical treatments for depression. Access to medical care - not necessarily mental health care - can have postive effects on our emotion. Having food and shelter is also necessary for good mental health.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 10:06 pm
I used to agree that we had complete control over our own happiness, until a ran into several years where I definitely did not. We can control it some, but I don't think the majority of the outcome is our own doing. Much of it is circumstance, much of it is genetics (at least for some). However I believe we can increase our control over it, just like anything else. I like the thought that "not wanting to" is a form of inability. For example I don't run as much as I should, because I just don't want to, and I've tried to change that attitude, and it's very difficult. I would be happier if I were healthier, but I don't have the willpower in that area.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 10:20 pm
Most of us have lost our willpower when it comes to eating too much and the wrong foods. That's our environment, where food is plentiful - especially junk food.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 10:30 pm
Testify, Cicerone.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:00 pm
Testify to what, when or who?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:03 pm
In other words: I agree.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:05 pm
O---kay.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 11:20 pm
Yeah, preach on, brother!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 12:49 pm
If we can believe that Shakespeare still possesses prophecy through MacBeth's words, then we have an idea of where happiness ends and courage begins:

My way of life
Is fallen into the sere, the yellow leaf;
And that which should accompany old age,
As honor, love, obedience, troops of friends,
I must not look to have; but in their stead,
Curses not loud but deep, mouth-honor, breath,
Which the poor heart would fain deny, and dare not.

I blame them damn witches, myself.
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 01:48 pm
It must be a mixture.

Some of it is our own responsibility.

But lets take an example of an Iraqi mother who just had all her children die in the war.

Is it really all her own responsibility to keep herself happy?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 01:59 pm
Hey, tcis. This is a good point, of course, and has been considered in many ways. We can look to philosophy, religion, karma, whatever one chooses to do, but in looking at war, all rationale becomes academic. Some cultures feel that there is glory in war, and that those who die in battle are happy to do so.
0 Replies

Thalion

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 02:20 pm
If you feel like, check out The Foutainhead by Ayn Rand. Basically she talks about how being happy is your own responibility and you shouldn't care about what other people think about what you do or who you are. That's the really condensed version (the book's 700 pages long.)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 02:38 pm
Thalion, Wasn't her book based on Frank Lloyd Wright? Never cared for his architecture, but admired his grit.

Hmmmm. Flying in the face of tradition does not always insure happiness, just a sense of one's own self worth.
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 03:11 pm
Thalion wrote:
If you feel like, check out The Foutainhead by Ayn Rand. Basically she talks about how being happy is your own responibility and you shouldn't care about what other people think about what you do or who you are. That's the really condensed version (the book's 700 pages long.)

I think that philosophy is great...to a point. For example, what about a selfish jerk who races down the freeway, cutting you off, etc., so he can get to his destination sooner, and doesn't care what anyone thinks.

Or a playboy husband who has several affairs, he's happy and doesn't care what anyone thinks...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 03:30 pm
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 04:15 pm
eoe, Perfectly stated. That's the reason why I don't respond to some people on A2K. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with my life.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 05:02 pm
I like what Eve was getting too:

Epicurus said that without:

Friends
Freedom
Thought
Food
Water
Shelter

We could not be happy. i think about those that do not have those - of no fault of thier own - and I have to wonder if it truley IS up to them.

In Bangladesh is it truly up to them to be happy or not?

I agree with EOE and CI here- But I think that is granting a position where those things listed above are taken care of - at least minimally. I am not saying we all get Bentley's and Steak - I am saying there is always the mission and the soup kitchen.

TF
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 06:25 pm
Wonderful posts, all. The woman who lost her children HAS to suffer. It would be unnatural, even monstrous, for her not to suffer. But there is suffering and there is suffering. I hope to suffer the latter kind.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 10:05 pm
jlN; i'm rather busy myself; would you do me a favour, and do my suffering for me too - your choice of what kind - and PM me when its over.

Thanks! Laughing
0 Replies