Can an intellectual still believe absurd things?

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 03:20 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
Yes, and some people are jackasses who don't have the balls to come out and say what they really mean.

I also will acknowledge that some people are very good at doing that.

Considering the facility with which you just did it, I suspect you know of what you speak. And I thank you for the hidden compliment.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 07:08 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
If human evolution produced an inevitably irrational intellect, the implication is that tool-making, the domestication of plants and animals, the invention of writing, the invention and use of irrigation, the invention and use of warehouses--that all of these developments were the product of irrationality. I see that as an absurdity.

I think that you have simply drawn an absurd implication, Set.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 07:24 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I am more convinced than ever that I was correct ...

Can an intellectual still believe absurd things?

Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 07:37 pm
@joefromchicago,
I believe most people have their specialties and their weaknesses.

Most of the people I have met who are considered "ingelligent" in a general way also has bonehead ideas about issues they have very little knowledge about or are brainwashed into ideas that they have carried over from childhood.

Rather than aberations, I think they are a normal outcome of one's interests and disinterests, misperceptions, and just enough knowledge to get them into trouble.

People have a tendency to put trust into their religion and politics, and seem comfortable with the contradictions we hear and learn from the media and other sources that seems to be pervasive.

We see this all the time on a2k.

It's very difficult to rationalize for those of us who can "see" most of those contradictions.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 08:44 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
Is there a point at which we can segregate one's intelligently held beliefs from those that are completely absurd, such that we can excuse the latter as mere aberrations?

I can think of one stunningly apt example of this, Joe.

I, of course, had to excuse it as a mere aberration.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 08:56 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Rather, I view only B's belief as absurd -- and it is absurd even though B might be right that gravity is a particle. That's because, even if it is ultimately determined that gravity is a particle, B's belief is still based on something that is completely unreliable, and he would only be right as a result of pure happenstance. In contrast, A's belief is not absurd, even though it might be wrong. That's because it is based on solid evidence and reasoning.

How about C, a music critic who believes that Bach's Goldberg Variations are the most beautiful composition in all piano music? I happen to believe he's right, but what objective evidence and reasoning would he support his claim with? And if he fails to come up with such evidence, would that make his belief absurd and disqualify him as an intellectual?
joefromchicago

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 09:07 pm
@Thomas,
I'm talking about matters of fact. You're talking about matters of taste. The latter are not provably wrong.
Thomas

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 09:40 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
I'm talking about matters of fact. You're talking about matters of taste. The latter are not provably wrong.

I think that's the problem. You want to argue that being an intellectual is about being right or wrong, or at least about proving or disproving ones conclusions.

But that's inconsistent with the we commonly apply the term "intellectual". There's plenty of intellectuals in theology, defending claims that you would agree are absurd. To mention just the ones in the Apostle's Creed, Jesus's birth by a virgin, his resurrection after three days of death, and his ascension into heaven are all absurd claims about putative physical facts. Moreover, as we just discussed, intellectuals abound in areas where truth and falsity don't even apply in the first place, such as the arts and humanities. And yet we call all of these people "intellectuals".

As far as I'm aware, nobody demands that this change. Nobody demands that the union of intellectuals confiscate the membership cards of theologians and art critics. And that's as it should be. Because, contrary to your view, intellectualism has little to do with right or wrong, evidence or reason.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 11:03 pm
@Thomas,
I agree; it has very little to do with right and wrong when we talk about intellectual or intelligence. It has more to do with culture, religion, and politics; or in simple parlance, environment. Who's to say all liberals are right and conservatives wrong, or the opposite. Who's to say all religions are wrong when so many believe in them. It is, after all, the human condition.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 11:47 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
I think that's the problem. You want to argue that being an intellectual is about being right or wrong, or at least about proving or disproving ones conclusions.

I argue no such thing. I contended that a belief in absurd things might disqualify someone from being considered an intellectual. I never said that intellectuals are only those people who believe in those things that are provable. I'm not sure how you arrived at your comically distorted view of my position, but there you are.

Thomas wrote:
But that's inconsistent with the we commonly apply the term "intellectual". There's plenty of intellectuals in theology, defending claims that you would agree are absurd.

On the contrary, I've already stated in this thread that I am not considering metaphysical claims in this context. That's because they are unprovable.

Thomas wrote:
Moreover, as we just discussed, intellectuals abound in areas where truth and falsity don't even apply in the first place, such as the arts and humanities. And yet we call all of these people "intellectuals".

I am perfectly content with calling someone an "intellectual" if they hold beliefs that are non-provable, and I've never said otherwise. I'm not really interested in what qualifies someone to be an intellectual, I'm only concerned with what disqualifies someone from being an intellectual.
joefromchicago

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 11:58 pm
I'm just curious: if the person who feels compelled to vote down all of my posts finds them so objectionable, why is that person still reading this thread?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 12:29 am
@joefromchicago,
joe, Don't let the "little guys" who gives you a thumbs down any concern; they are children with very little to contribute in any discussion.

Thomas

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 07:59 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
I never said that intellectuals are only those people who believe in those things that are provable. I'm not sure how you arrived at your comically distorted view of my position, but there you are.

In your response to Robert, you tied your concept of "absurd" to evidence and logic, or rather the absence thereof. In your original post, you suggested that people who hold absurd beliefs thereby disqualify themselves from being intellectuals. That's how I arrived at my view of your position, comically distorted or not.

joefromchicago wrote:
On the contrary, I've already stated in this thread that I am not considering metaphysical claims in this context.

But the examples I gave aren't just metaphysical claims. They are physical claims, provable by physical tests if they had occurred. Take the virgin birth, for example. There is a Christian church in Jerusalem that claims to have the sarcophagus in which Jesus was buried. If a forensic archaeologist examined it and found DNA evidence that a human who lay in there had no human father, that would decide the case. (And she would know what DNA evidence to look for, because virgin births are common elsewhere in nature.) Religions make absurd physical claims all the time --- it's their very absurdity that makes them "miracles" --- and their theologians defend them as truth.

joefromchicago wrote:
I'm only concerned with what disqualifies someone from being an intellectual.

Here's my view on that: Because thinking is the defining trait of intellectuals, I would disqualify Paul Ryan for not having expressed a single original thought that engages my intellect in any way. Sometimes, he appeals to emotions ("we owe our children a balanced budget" or "look at my mom, she likes my Medicare plan, too"). Sometimes, he copies and pastes thoughts from Ayn Rand's novels. Either way, he shows no evidence of having done any intellectual work, and that's why I wouldn't call Ryan an intellectual. As to your doctor, I would not disqualify her on account of her UFO stories as long as the thoughts she expresses on medical topics are engaging and thought-provoking. In other words, when people qualify to be intellectuals, I would never disqualify them for holding absurd beliefs.
joefromchicago

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 07:59 am
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks, CI. I don't have a problem with people voting down my posts. I just wonder why someone who finds everything I write objectionable would keep coming back to a thread that I started.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 08:23 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:
I never said that intellectuals are only those people who believe in those things that are provable. I'm not sure how you arrived at your comically distorted view of my position, but there you are.

In your response to Robert, you tied your concept of "absurd" to evidence and logic, or rather the absence thereof. In your original post, you suggested that people who hold absurd beliefs thereby disqualify themselves from being intellectuals.

Yep. What's your point?

Thomas wrote:
But the examples I gave aren't just metaphysical events. They are physical claims, provable by physical tests if they had occurred. For example, there is a Christian church in Jerusalem that claims to have the sarcophagus in which Jesus was buried. If a forensic archaeologist examined it and found DNA evidence that the human who lay in there had no biological father, that would decide the case. (And she would know what DNA evidence to look for, because virgin births are common elsewhere in nature.) Religions make absurd physical claims all the time --- it's their very absurdity that makes them "miracles" --- and their theologians defend them as truth.

As Hume pointed out, just because things always happen one way doesn't mean they'll always happen that way in the future. If a devout Christian says that Jesus died and was resurrected, we can scoff and say "that doesn't happen," but the Christian would simply reply that "it can happen if you're Jesus." Again, per Hume, we can say that it is highly unlikely, but we can't say it's impossible. Now, if the Christian were to hold that Jesuses are subject to the same physical laws as everyone else, yet contends that the Jeez still died and was resurrected, that would be absurd because it is internally inconsistent. But as long as the Christian maintains that physical laws are suspended for Jesuses, their claims are metaphysical and can't be proven or disproven. At most, like Hume, we can say that we're unconvinced.

Contrast that to the absurd beliefs that Paul Ryan holds. He says, for instance, that cutting taxes raises revenues. He's not, however, relying on some divine intervention to provide the mechanism for this process. He doesn't say "cutting taxes raises revenues because Jesus will provide everyone with high-paying jobs." No, he relies on the normal rules of economics, despite mounds of evidence to show that he's wrong. He's being internally inconsistent, therefore, to say that economics works this way when all of the evidence upon which economics relies says that it doesn't. And because his position doesn't work according to the premises that Ryan himself accepts, I think we're entitled to label that position "absurd."

Thomas wrote:
Because thinking is the defining trait of intellectuals, I would disqualify Paul Ryan for not having expressed a single original thought that engages my intellect in any way. Sometimes, he appeals to emotions ("we owe our children a balanced budget" or "look at my mom, she likes my Medicare plan, too"). Sometimes, he copies and pastes thoughts from Ayn Rand's novels. Either way, he shows no evidence of having done any intellectual work, and that's why I wouldn't call Ryan an intellectual.

As to your doctor, I would not disqualify her on account of her UFO stories as long as the thoughts she expresses on medical topics are engaging and thought-provoking. In other words, when people qualify to be intellectuals, I would never disqualify them for holding absurd beliefs.

Or, in other words, you disagree with the premise of my initial post. That's fine, I have no problem with that. But you could have saved us a whole lot of time and effort if you had said so earlier.
Thomas

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 08:53 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
And because his position doesn't work according to the premises that Ryan himself accepts, I think we're entitled to label that position "absurd."

I agree Ryanomics is absurd. Now, why would its absurdity disqualify Ryan from being an intellectual? For a counterexample, would you disqualify Zeno from being an intellectual if he had actually believed that Achilles can never catch the tortoise, despite ample empirical evidence that he does? I wouldn't disqualify Zeno for such an absurd belief, because his paradoxes would be just as original and brain-teasing as before.

joefromchicago wrote:
Or, in other words, you disagree with the premise of my initial post. That's fine, I have no problem with that. But you could have saved us a whole lot of time and effort if you had said so earlier.

That's possibly true. It's a good thing, then, that neither of us is in this thread to save time.
JTT

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 09:12 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
I agree Ryanomics is absurd.

Consider all the intellectuals who have Bryan Garner's grammar on their shelves, Thomas. Consider further that when his incompetence is explained, many of these same intellectuals simply zone out, refusing to use that which defines their intellect.

Maybe it then becomes a matter of their parsimonious nature over ruling intellect.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 01:48 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
I agree Ryanomics is absurd. Now, why would its absurdity disqualify Ryan from being an intellectual? For a counterexample, would you disqualify Zeno from being an intellectual if he had actually believed that Achilles can never catch the tortoise, despite ample empirical evidence that he does? I wouldn't disqualify Zeno for such an absurd belief, because his paradoxes would be just as original and brain-teasing as before.

If Zeno actually maintained that it was impossible for Achilles to catch up to the tortoise, then of course that would be good cause to disqualify him for such an obviously absurd belief. Under those circumstances, he wouldn't have been presenting an interesting paradox but rather a plainly stupid and easily refuted argument. At best, we could then say that such an argument would have represented a "fruitful error," much like the proponents of spontaneous generation prompted the real achievements of Louis Pasteur and others in formulating germ theory, or the idiotic statements of creationists led Stephen Jay Gould to write some of his best works.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 02:00 pm
I think intelligence is over-rated. I think it's more important to have a good heart.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 02:38 pm
@joefromchicago,
But would the absurdity have disqualified Zeno as an intellectual in your opinion? In my opinion, it would not. Fruitful errors are a perfectly respectable intellectual legacy.