If a birth control pill were finally made for men, do you think Republicans...

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 07:31 am
... would approve of free (government) contraception for at least men? (Because heaven knows they'd still wouldn't approve for government paying for birth control for women)

Male birth control pill may soon be a reality
Male birth control was made possible with mice in lab experiments, say researchers, opening the door to a potential oral contraceptive for men.
http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Family/Modern-Parenthood/2012/0817/Male-birth-control-pill-may-soon-be-a-reality
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 2,929 • Replies: 39

raprap

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 07:43 am
@tsarstepan,
Only after Trojan lobbys and gets a medical insurance copayment.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 07:51 am
If a prescription is written for ANY medication, insurance should cover it and the ******* government should stay out of it.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 08:07 am
@tsarstepan,
I think Republicans would approve of free (government) contraception for men, but.... only in suppository form.
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQw7ShYNzbW48Gk_TT9Siuqtsa42ZQwDNBhVggQgqYrqC06XTqKtyQDDFGGeg
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 08:19 am
@tsarstepan,
Yes!
0 Replies

cortnik

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 08:37 am
@tsarstepan,
I'm glad someone brought this up. is it just me or is the entire issue of birth control still very, very sexist??? Why does all the responsibility fall on women when the benefits certainly also go the men? I've heard talk and promises of male birth control for about a decade now, but all I have seen debuted is more versions of the same old pill that has been around forever! Someone needs a push here...
chai2

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 08:14 pm
@cortnik,
As I stated on your other thead...If you want to entrust your getting pregnant to whether or not a man remembers to take a pill, or isn't lying about it, go for it.
revelette2

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 06:32 am
@tsarstepan,
Perhaps I know too many irresponsible (boys) men, but, if you can't get them to use the one, why would they take a pill, not only that but they would still need to practice safe sex for other reasons.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 07:06 am
@revelette2,
Hmmm. I see a real double standard here.

Every single time a man engages in irresponsible consensual sex that might result in pregnancy, there is also a woman who is being irresponsible.

Why do you focus on the man's irresponsibility, when clearly women are equally irresponsible?
maxdancona

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 07:32 am
So much knee-jerk man bashing here... This particular line of bashing makes absolutely no sense.

Why would giving men an additional option for birth control, meaning more choice for men and more reproductive rights for men, be considered an advantage for women in the gender war implied by this thread?

Birth control is the responsibility of a couple, both the man and the woman have the responsibility of birth control. Both men and women have the vested interest (financial and legal) to make sure that unwanted pregnancy doesn't happen.

Right now women have more options and more reproductive rights then men do. (Although to many of us men, it doesn't matter because birth control choices should be made as a couple.)

As a man, I would welcome a birth control pill. This would give me more choice, more power and more control over my reproductive life. If the failure of science to create a birth control pill for men is the result of sexism-- in this case it is the men who are being discriminated against.

0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 09:21 am
Some would probably support it, some would probably have the same attitude as they do with women's birth control.

I don't get the political divide here though. It's not like every democrat is fully supportive of birth control.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 07:20 pm
@maxdancona,
I think ideally, you are correct that is the responsibility of both partners to be responsible. I only had daughters, I told them while I hoped they wouldn't engage in pre-marital sex, that if they were to, be sure it is safe sex. Since in the end, females get pregnant, usually females are more worried about it.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 08:06 pm
@revelette2,
I don't think females are more worried about it. My sons are now adults. I told them that when they had sex, they should darn well better be careful if they didn't want to be responsible for a child.

My daughter is a pre-teen. I don't think I will give her any different message then I gave my sons-- at least when it comes to birth control and not wanting to be responsible for a child.

If my sons got someone pregnant, and she decided to keep the baby, it would be a big responsibility for my sons that would change their life in a big way. If anything, there is less pressure for my daughter since at least she has the power to make choices about how to deal with the pregnancy. My sons have no power of choice of their own, they are stuck with the decision of the woman.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 08:10 pm
I'm a Republican and I certainly don't see anything wrong with birth control. The answer to the original poster's naive question is that some would and some wouldn't.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 05:23 am
@maxdancona,
Admirable.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 11:36 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

As I stated on your other thead...If you want to entrust your getting pregnant to whether or not a man remembers to take a pill, or isn't lying about it, go for it.

I think the pill could be designed so there is a rather obvious way of telling whether he took it or not.
chai2

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 01:47 pm
@parados,
What, like there's an obvious way to tell if a woman took her bc pill?

If that's possible, why aren't they already doing it for female birth control pills? It would be helpful to the woman to know if she forgot.

parados

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 02:13 pm
@chai2,
If it's limp, he took it. Wink
chai2

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 02:17 pm
@parados,
Well why don't they do something for women after all these years too.

I don't know if you were joking or serious about this, but in my mind it points towards the same old same old....

Let get birth control pills for men, but include a way to know if he took it. Oh don't worry about women, it's been their problem all these years to remember, there's never been a need to give them any help. I mean, it's her problem if she gets knocked up.

Then, men could sue if their reminder didn't work. Don't want to give the little woman any incentive to get litigious though.
roger

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 02:35 pm
@chai2,
You know. Erectile dysfunction is exactly the same as sterile, which renders the whole thing moot.