N.M. Gov: Snow State of Emergency. BBB got only 3 inches

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 10:04 am
BBB got only three inches of snow in her Albuquerque west of the Rio Grande River neighborhood. Lots of snow for skiers.

Feb 25, 2004

New Mexico Governor Declares State of Emergency After Winter Storm
The Associated Press

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - Gov. Bill Richardson declared a state of emergency in part of New Mexico as a winter storm left roads virtually impassable, closed schools and blanketed one town with 13 inches of snow.
Richardson's declaration signed late Tuesday freed up about $750,000 to help cover overtime costs for road crews, police and emergency workers, said Pahl Shipley, a spokesman for the governor.

The worst of the snow and rain was across northern, eastern and central New Mexico. Truckers and other travelers packed truck stops and hotels and some utility customers lost power. State employees were sent home early and Los Alamos National Laboratory closed for the day.

All roads were listed as "clear and passable" by the state Transportation Department, although officials warned sections of Interstates 40 and 25, which had temporarily been closed, were still wet and icy.

The winter storm had moved out of the state by early Wednesday but schools remained closed or morning openings delayed in several affected towns.

The storm blanketed the New Mexico community of Las Vegas with 13 inches of snow, and the nearby mountains received 20 inches. Sandia Park, on the east side of the Sandia Mountains, received up to 11 inches of snow, the National Weather Service said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 530 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Aldistar

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 05:41 pm
I wish it would snow like that here. In the 20 years I've lived near Houston it has snowed 3 times and none of the storms left more than a bare dusting. My friend and I scraped her ENTIRE yard of snow and managed to make a snow man 3 inches tall. That was the blizzard of Houston. A good side to it was that since nobody here knows how to drive in icy conditions they shut down the city, no work or school!
0 Replies