Buildup of fat around finger joints

yunh000

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2012 12:33 am
Ever since junior high, I began to crack my knuckles along with my middle finger joints. I know that cracking the joints result in minimal to no damage at all to the joints since you're just popping air bubbles... but for some reason, the lateral bands around my finger's middle joint began to grow. My index and middle finger began to widen and soon enough, it seemed as if there was a buildup of fat around my middle joints. I feel no pain at all in my joints and I can move my fingers around freely. On the other hand, the buildup of fat is causing me to lose my sense of touch on my index and middle finger since it's covering my joints. (It feels as if there's an extra layer of fat around my joints) I got my fingers checked out and took an x-ray along with a CT scan... and my doctor told me that there was nothing wrong with my joints. In conclusion, there was SOMETHING covering my joints.. and my surgeon had no idea what it was. After my operation, my surgeon told me that he didn't find anything out of the ordinary... so even after undergoing surgery.. my question is still standing. What exactly is the thing that is surrounding my finger's middle joint? My other fingers are completely fine except for my right hand's index and middle finger. My doctor even suggested plastic surgery to get my finger back to normal but I still want to know my diagnosis. Why and how did I get all this extra buildup of fat/tissue around my joint?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 4,199 • Replies: 4
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2012 06:33 am
That's an old wives tale about "cracking" your knuckles making for problems in later years.

Do you have fluid around the joint?

Watch your salt intake. My fingers get swollen if I have a lot of salt.

Is this heredity? I have my dad's hands. Exaggerated knuckles and bumps on my fingers (Scottish heritage) and they are not pretty. But I don't have rhumetoid arthritis, which I was afraid of.

Count your blessings.
yunh000

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2012 11:36 am
@PUNKEY,
Hi punkey.
If it were the case of me having fluid around the joints, I'm sure my doctor would have known after the incisions he made around the middle joint of my index & middle finger. It's not heredity either...

My surgeon simply said: "We couldn't find anything in there that was causing your finger to look as if it was swelling. After ten minutes or so, we stitched you back up."

Thank you for your response Smile
davidmartin414

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 05:48 am
HI,
Thanks for share this tips
0 Replies

henry88

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 04:58 am
@yunh000,
Hello Punkey, I think there may be some blood clot. How come after operation also the doctor have no idea why it is happening. Just get an MRI and consult another orthopedist.
0 Replies