R.I.P "E.T"

jcboy

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2012 07:51 am
I must have seen this film ten times.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/italian-special-effects-master-carlo-rambaldi-father-of-et-dead-at-86/2012/02/10/gJQAehHXlX_story.html

Quote:
MILAN — Carlo Rambaldi, a special effects master and three-time Oscar winner known as the father of “E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial,” died Friday in southern Italy after a long illness, Italian news media reported. He was 86.

Rambaldi won visual effects Oscars for Steven Spielberg’s 1982 blockbuster, Ridley Scott’s film “Alien” in 1979, and John Guillermin’s “King Kong” in 1976.

“Carlo Rambaldi was E.T.’s Geppetto,” said Spielberg, referring to the fictional character who created Pinocchio. “ All of us who marveled and wondered at his craft and artistry are deeply saddened by the news of his passing.”

Rambaldi worked on more than 30 films, but was best known for his work on E.T., for which he created three robots, two costumes worn by actors in the scenes when E.T. walked, and gloves for the hands.

Rambaldi, a wizard of a discipline known as mechatronics — which combines disciplines including mechanical, electronic and system design engineering — did not hide a disdain for computerized effects.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 1,450 • Replies: 5
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2012 08:11 am
I enjoyed ET also.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2012 09:49 am
@jcboy,
May he RIP. As a creative person and a huge movie fan of such movies, I would objectively say now THAT was talent! And he employed zero CGI (computer graphics) effects.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2012 01:04 pm
I'm another one who can remember enjoying this movie years back.

I think it did very well. Shows like that were the forerunner of the ones made these days, much like the early Star Wars movies.
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2012 07:39 pm
Rest in Peace, Carlo. You were a very talented man.
0 Replies

mackllinvinger

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 05:52 am
yes you are right..

enjoy it.
0 Replies