Religion - (Christianity) Please Help...!

mismi

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 04:00 pm
@Zarathustra,
Good Gravy.

I could be the mother of a grad student.

I can't believe I just admitted that. I feel sick.
Zarathustra

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 04:05 pm
@mismi,
The average age of my grad students is 40, so you must be old enough to have been at Peck’s Baptism.

My client is ready for the conferece call...gotta go!
mismi

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 04:11 pm
@Zarathustra,
Well then...I could be one of your grad students.

But I am not reciting an "Ode to Zarathustra". I wouldn't care if you did fail me. I have to draw the line somewhere.

0 Replies

sprinic1501

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 04:50 am
@BrianaMonique,
ok the tongues thing. first yes its real. second while it is a evidence of the Holy Spirit it isnt nessecary for salvation. If u have the Holy Spirit (which is any real christian) u can do it, but some either dont or think they cant. i use this metaphor.

the bible describes us as babes in Christ. well what can lil kids do already but just dont know how to: swim. all little children can swim. its just they dont know how to. you can prolly speak in tongues all u want u just dont know how to control it. i was a christian for well over a year before the Holy Spirit literally sat me down on my bed and taught me how to do it.

Now what id do if i was u was forget the tongues thing for the moment. id pray for love encounters with God. They are available and God wants to hand them out for free. all u gotta do is ask. This will open up sooooo much intimacy with God u wont know what to do with it.

Get intimate with the Holy Spirit. Jesus literally says that eternal life is knowing the Father and Himself and the Holy Spirit. john 17:3

also give john 17:23 a read - basically says u are loved by the Father as much as the Father loves Jesus.

phil 4:1- read as if Jesus is speaking right to u. u may say that i am taking it outta context cuz its paul writting that but did not paul also say that Every word of script is good for edification etc etc. and also its not like thats something God wouldnt say to u i mean He loves u enuff to die for u.

Psalms 18- look at the jealousy of the Lord for u. For U persoanlly.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 07:02 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

Setanta wrote:

Haven't you already decided that you are right, and that those who don't agree with you are wrong?
That's a valid question. In a sense, yes, because it's right for me and according to what I understand of the bible, it is right. The difference as I see it, is I'm not going to tell others they aren't living in reality because they don't believe it. I have mellowed a bit and I understand that we are all different in so many ways and so often those differences are used to attack each other and say things we know will offend. I think when we do that it all comes down to pride because I don't think any of us want to be wrong. Hug da puppy for me!

Ah, let me clarify. I've heard a lot of atheists (yes, I am one in the sense that I don't have beliefs about a deity, not in that I believe that there isn't one) say that they feel they are facing reality without the buffer of belief in salvation. It was from that perspective (trying to represent that perspective) that I made that comment. It wasn't intended as an insult. I think everybody thinks they are facing reality. That's the essence of delusion/illusion: taking the unreal for the real. Both sides point the finger at the other in that respect, eh? Wink
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 01:55 pm
@FBM,
I can certainly understand your point! Thanx for responding.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 11:25 am
Lots of good points in this thread. Sorry to have been off when it came up. I think if you are a Christian, you should have some opinion of Paul's statement: (2 Timothy 3:16)" . . .All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness . . ."
I take it to mean that one cannot disregards parts of the Bible that seem inconvenient without discarding the entire Bible.
FBM

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 06:03 pm
@neologist,
I agree, neologist.

"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill."

If someone says s/he is a Christian, then by definition, s/he is a follower of Christ and his teachings. To pick and choose among his teachings for the one's that suit your convenience and tastes is hypocrisy. How many Christians are interested in fulfilling the laws in the Old Testament, the only ones Jesus could have been referring to in that passage?

"I come not to bring peace, but to bring a sword."

Given the amount of blood shed in the name of Christianity, it looks like they've been getting this one right, though. Wink
neologist

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 06:38 pm
@FBM,
True, but the sword Jesus referred to was not a sword to be used by Christians to subdue others.
FBM

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 06:40 pm
@neologist,
Oh. OK. Where does the Bible explain that?
neologist

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 07:02 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
First would be Jesus' words when he was taken captive and one of his disciples cut off the ear of the servant: "Then Jesus said to him: “Return your sword to its place, for all those who take the sword will perish by the sword. (Matthew 26:52)

Then there is the passage from which you quoted; (Matthew 10:34-36) ". . . Do not think I came to put peace upon the earth; I came to put, not peace, but a sword. 35 For I came to cause division, with a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a young wife against her mother-in-law. 36 Indeed, a man’s enemies will be persons of his own household."

So, it appears that Jesus was referring to the sword being used against believers.
FBM

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 07:43 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

FBM wrote:
First would be Jesus' words when he was taken captive and one of his disciples cut off the ear of the servant: "Then Jesus said to him: “Return your sword to its place, for all those who take the sword will perish by the sword. (Matthew 26:52)

Yes, I've seen this passage quoted alongside the other as examples of contradictions in the Bible.

Quote:
Then there is the passage from which you quoted; (Matthew 10:34-36) ". . . Do not think I came to put peace upon the earth; I came to put, not peace, but a sword. 35 For I came to cause division, with a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a young wife against her mother-in-law. 36 Indeed, a man’s enemies will be persons of his own household."

So, it appears that Jesus was referring to the sword being used against believers.

Not sure. I read that to mean a believing person will be divided against his/her unbelieving family members. Why would Jesus suggest putting the sword to believers?

And we're still discussing angels dancing on the heads of pins here without having any evidence that angels exist in the first place, no?
neologist

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 07:48 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
And we're still discussing angels dancing on the heads of pins here without having any evidence that angels exist in the first place, no?
If you expect me to present you with and angel to inspect, you will have a long wait.
FBM

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 07:55 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

FBM wrote:
If you expect me to present you with and angel to inspect, you will have a long wait.

That was, of course, a metaphor. Or maybe a simile. An analogy, maybe. Anyway, I'm not asking for an angel. Just a little real, credible evidence for the god that the Bible and theists claim exists.
tenderfoot

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 10:52 pm
@FBM,
The followers of a belief system.. no matter where those beliefs originally stemmed from, are asked a little factual reality.. they are only left with the "written word" of the originators of the particular belief system, the bible would have to be the worst one of the lot.
0 Replies