Religion - (Christianity) Please Help...!

ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 09:09 am
@AnthonyJ,
What Jewish scriptures have you read?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 09:10 am
@Setanta,
yup. it's all about the source documents.
0 Replies

AnthonyJ

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 10:08 am
@ehBeth,
Hey, I'm not claiming to be a scholar just your average Joe
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 10:29 am
@AnthonyJ,
AnthonyJ wrote:
Basically I've found Jehovah's Witnesses to be in line with what the Bible actually teaches.

Don't you think that this might have something to do with the version of the Bible you are using as a reference?

Again, I'd recommend making an effort to consider documents closer to the source documents.

It's like the difference between being in a jungle and going to Jungle World. If you want a true jungle experience, you don't go to the Jungle World translation.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 10:45 am
@AnthonyJ,
This is an exercise in selective self-congratulation. Any follower of a religious creed will be able to set up a half dozen questions which they will then claim are answered by their scripture, in line with their own, personal religious canon.

This demonstrates nothing other than the fervor of your delusion for the creed you have already adopted.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 11:03 am
@AnthonyJ,
Quote:
Up to this point I have found nothing with which I'm in disagreement with.

Do you see why this is a problem?

Christianity today consists of thousands of groups of people. Each group of people all think exactly alike with all the other people in their group. But people of one group disagree with people of the other groups.

Each church thinks their own leaders are 100% right and that the leaders of other churches are wrong.

You agree with your leaders 100% (apparently) because you have decided to change your beliefs to get in line with them on every issue. This means that you have given up some of the ideas that you would have had had you not decided to join your church. You have, in a sense, given up a part of your intellectual independence (and don't pretend that it is possible that a group of people would happen to all agree this much on their own).

There are thousands of churches that are all earnestly trying to follow the Bible They all have come to different, often contradictory, conclusions.

The fact that you have decided to be completely in line with your particular church doesn't change that.

It would be nice if you were able to say one area where you disagree with your church leadership. It would show that you read and consider the Bible independently of what your church group tells you to think.
AnthonyJ

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 12:12 pm
@maxdancona,
Maxdancona,

You misunderstood my post. I'm saying that because they agree with the Bible I have no problems with what they teach. In essence, my position is that as long as they agree with what the Bible teaches on it's own then everything is fine.

I intentionally posted the examples in the manner I did so that we could talk about what these texts say on their own. This leads to a question I have for you. When you examine these texts, what conclusions do you come to, based not on what a church says or on human interpretation, but what is strictly said in the texts themselves?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 04:18 pm
@AnthonyJ,
The questions I consider important are the ones about how to live a good life; particularly how I should treat people around me and make my community better. The questions you are raising have no impact on how I can be a better person, the answer answers don't matter at all to the important things.

That is why the questions I ask involved how we should treat immigrants and how we should react when people toward people who threaten or hurt us.

Questions about abstract doctrinal points that have nothing to do with how we live lives here and now don't interest me at all.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 04:26 pm
My main point is that to me it is very important to have the ability to think for yourself. Of course, this means that from time to time you are going to disagree with what other people in your church believe.

If you are unable to disagree with the people in your church on some things while still being accepted, then you are in danger of being hurt.

That is really what I have to say to Brianna (the original poster).
AnthonyJ

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 05:22 pm
@maxdancona,
Maxdancona,
Of course there will be time when I disagree with someone in some matters. That's only natural. But when it comes to the Bible, like no other religion on the face of the earth, we are a united people around the world. The devisive issues that plague a majority of the churchs today, we don't experience. That's because we see the Bible as the final authority in everything. And that's what unites us. We view his wisdom as supreme and complete. Yes he wants us to think for ourselves and expects us to.

To many who look on this seems and impossibility. That a people could be so united. That's because they are looking at things in human terms. Without realizing it they limit the ability of God to unity a people when it comes to Bible truth.

We are united by Bible truth, not human philosphy. And as I stated in my earlier posts, we strive to always use our powers of reason in all matters with God's principles being the guiding force.

Really, because people don't see the Bible as the final authority they are divided.
Wilso

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 05:25 pm
Get an education and discard this immature superstition you ******* deluded halfwit.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 05:30 pm
@Wilso,
there's the wilso I remember so well.

how goes it with the anger management troubles, little buddy?
0 Replies

AnthonyJ

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 05:35 pm
@Wilso,
You first
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 06:21 pm
@AnthonyJ,
Quote:
But when it comes to the Bible, like no other religion on the face of the earth, we are a united people around the world.

This very simply isn't true. There are many groups that claim to use the Bible as the final authority. They are all the same in that they all believe what their leaders tell them the Bible says. The Jehovah's Witnesses are not different than many other Christian churches in this request.

That people within each group agree with each other is not that impressive. It just means that people accept what they are told by their leaders.

If people who weren't in the same group reached the same conclusion about what the Bible says on their own, that would mean something.

As I have pointed out, what people believe the Bible says has a lot to do with what church they happen to go to than anything else.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 11:36 pm
Unity among Bible-believers? Lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 11:57 pm
404 ERROR: GOD NOT FOUND
FBM

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 12:37 am
@Wilso,
The Official God FAQ
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 01:44 am
The New World Translation makes an effort to conform the Bible to Jehovah’s Witnesses' theology. One example is the strident effort to negate the idea of Jesus having been executed on a cross. The NWT translates the Greek word stauros, which is translated by most other bibles as "cross," as "torture stake," and as such forgoing the word's Koine Greek meaning of "cross" for an earlier Classical Greek meaning of "stake."

The decision to employ this translation is based more on theological grounds than purely linguistic ones.
Wilso

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 02:50 am
@FBM,

Shared that on my FB page. Classic.
0 Replies

AnthonyJ

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2012 06:49 am
@InfraBlue,
Those are interesting thoughts, but there is something else to consider.

It is noteworthy that the Bible also uses the word xy′lon to identify the device used. A Greek-English Lexicon, by Liddell and Scott, defines this as meaning: “Wood cut and ready for use, firewood, timber, etc. . . . piece of wood, log, beam, post . . . cudgel, club . . . stake on which criminals were impaled . . . of live wood, tree.” It also says “in NT, of the cross,” and cites Acts 5:30 and 10:39 as examples. (Oxford, 1968, pp. 1191, 1192) However, in those verses KJ, RS, JB, and Dy translate xy′lon as “tree.” (Compare this rendering with Galatians 3:13; Deuteronomy 21:22, 23.)

Also, The book The Non-Christian Cross, by J. D. Parsons (London, 1896), says: “There is not a single sentence in any of the numerous writings forming the New Testament, which, in the original Greek, bears even indirect evidence to the effect that the stauros used in the case of Jesus was other than an ordinary stauros; much less to the effect that it consisted, not of one piece of timber, but of two pieces nailed together in the form of a cross. . . . It is not a little misleading upon the part of our teachers to translate the word stauros as ‘cross’ when rendering the Greek documents of the Church into our native tongue, and to support that action by putting ‘cross’ in our lexicons as the meaning of stauros without carefully explaining that that was at any rate not the primary meaning of the word in the days of the Apostles, did not become its primary signification till long afterwards, and became so then, if at all, only because, despite the absence of corroborative evidence, it was for some reason or other assumed that the particular stauros upon which Jesus was executed had that particular shape.”—Pp. 23, 24; see also The Companion Bible (London, 1885), Appendix No. 162.
Thus the weight of the evidence indicates that Jesus died on an upright stake and not on the traditional cross.
0 Replies