Religion - (Christianity) Please Help...!

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 12:52 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Please don't take this the wrong way, but did you really mean "literally"? Like, the actual cardiac flesh is physically taken out and replaced? Or, rather, those of us who no longer believe in God have actual stone hearts, like granite, limestone, chert, etc? Or do you mean "metaphorically"? I'm not being a grammar Nazi; I'm just wondering how literally you intend those statements.
No, he doesn't rip out a literal heart that is made of stone and put in a fleshly one that pumps blood. He changes our hearts so they are no longer cold (as in feelings) like stone, perhaps would make more sense. I'm sorry if I confused you. It surely wasn't my intent.
FBM

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 04:40 am
@Arella Mae,
Just checking! Wink Do you think atheists are cold-hearted, then? Or do you mean just cold-hearted with respects to God?
Wilso

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 05:24 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Just checking! Wink Do you think atheists are cold-hearted, then? Or do you mean just cold-hearted with respects to God?

Oh, theists definitely think atheists, and indeed ANYONE who doesn't believe in their god is cold hearted. It's just one aspect of their monumental arrogance. I've actually seen christian communication tv ads that stated flatly that anyone who didn't believe in christ was not capable of feeling love.

Well I love my wife and children so much I sometimes think my chest is going to burst.
FBM

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 05:49 am
@Wilso,
My girlfriend of 3 years, what's-her-name, tells me that I'm the warmest, most caring person she's ever known.

Wink
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2012 08:45 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella,

Don't you believe that people who aren't saved literally go to Hell?

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 09:08 pm
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:

FBM wrote:

Oh, theists definitely think atheists, and indeed ANYONE who doesn't believe in their god is cold hearted. It's just one aspect of their monumental arrogance. I've actually seen christian communication tv ads that stated flatly that anyone who didn't believe in christ was not capable of feeling love.

Well I love my wife and children so much I sometimes think my chest is going to burst.
Oh is that a fact? And you know that is how I believe? Don't you think it's pretty arrogant to decide for me what I believe and feel based on your experiences with others?
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 09:28 pm
@maxdancona,

Quote:
Don't you believe that people who aren't saved literally go to Hell?

hell is seperation from God. That may or may not bother some folks. But apparently once you know God to be truth...it is excruciating to be seperated.

Like burning.

Some may believe in a literal lake of fire. I am not sure...but I tend to walk by faith and not by sight. Which I know some to think is foolish. But it works for me.

mismi

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 09:37 pm
@Wilso,
Quote:

I am a theist. I guess. Sounds rather cold too. But I get that people believe differently than me. If they think I am a fool it does not bother me anymore. It used to. But then I started figuring out that if I was more worried about what they think about me, than being secure in what I believed in, there was a disconnect somewhere. My faith had a leak so to speak. I figure others should believe as strongly in where they stand as well...if they did then they wouldn't give a rats petoot where I thought they were going. I still like them. Still see much value in them. Even if they think I am an absolute idiot for what I believe. My goal is to do my best to love others well while I am here. I will share my heart when I feel it is required or asked of me. Otherwise...just care for others and do my best to make this world a better place while I am here.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 02:28 am
Some people feel comfort in the belief in eternal after-life in the arms of a heavenly protector, others feel comfort in the strength to face reality without the need for comforting beliefs in things that can't be demonstrated. For me, the only relevant criterion is whether or not they are malignant in their beliefs. If they don't bother other people about it, go for it. Have a long and happy life. Smile
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 12:29 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Some people feel comfort in the belief in eternal after-life in the arms of a heavenly protector, others feel comfort in the strength to face reality without the need for comforting beliefs in things that can't be demonstrated. For me, the only relevant criterion is whether or not they are malignant in their beliefs. If they don't bother other people about it, go for it. Have a long and happy life. Smile
And I don't really have a problem with that except of course, I'm not crazy about your statement that is saying we aren't really facing reality (that's what I get from what you posted up there) because it sounds like you have already decided we are wrong and you are right. But, that would be a silly pride issue so it's not all that important.

This is the honest truth. No one can prove God or disprove God. In all reality, there is no proof that people always are asking for. It's just a matter of some people believe and some do not. It's a difference in people. Your thinking I'm not in reality (and if I read that wrong, I apologize in advance) has about as the same effect as I like strawberries and you like blueberries, but of course, no one says either of us are not in touch with reality.

Yes, people throughout history have said they were killing for God. Well, I can only tell you that according to the New Testament, which is the covenant we are in, God doesn't have us killing anyone. We are supposed to love our enemies, bless those that curse us, not return insult for insult, etc. I don't find that very malignant and doubt you would either.
Setanta

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 12:42 pm
@Arella Mae,
Haven't you already decided that you are right, and that those who don't agree with you are wrong?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 01:07 pm
@Setanta,
Haven't we all done that?
Setanta

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 01:19 pm
@maxdancona,
You really have a hormone problem these days, don't you? That's what i was pointing out to AM, genius.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 02:11 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Haven't you already decided that you are right, and that those who don't agree with you are wrong?
That's a valid question. In a sense, yes, because it's right for me and according to what I understand of the bible, it is right. The difference as I see it, is I'm not going to tell others they aren't living in reality because they don't believe it. I have mellowed a bit and I understand that we are all different in so many ways and so often those differences are used to attack each other and say things we know will offend. I think when we do that it all comes down to pride because I don't think any of us want to be wrong. Hug da puppy for me!
ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 02:23 pm
@Arella Mae,
smart woman
0 Replies

Zarathustra

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 03:21 pm
@mismi,
There is an (Islamic?) story of how the Devil was God’s greatest lover. God told the angels that they were never to serve anyone but himself. Then he creates man and tells the angels that they are to serve man. Satan refused because he would not break his word to God that he would never serve another. God condemns Satan to Hell. How does Satan sustain himself in Hell? By the memory of the echo of the last word God spoke to him when he said “Go Hell”. Your “Separation from God is what Hell is.” reminded me of the story.
mismi

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 03:31 pm
@Zarathustra,
hm. (that's my "I heard you but not really sure how to answer" sound)

Agree Arella Mae. Smile Good to see you.
Zarathustra

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 03:44 pm
@mismi,
Simply tell me that I remind you of a young Gregory Peck. When I teach that is what most of my students say. The others retake the course.

(AUM- that's my "Sound of the Universe")
mismi

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 03:51 pm
@Zarathustra,
You remind me of a young Gregory Peck.

Did I pass?
Zarathustra

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 03:57 pm
@mismi,
You bet! See doesn’t that beat all the mucking about with learning and all that other unimportant stuff?

However, if you are a grad student you also have to recite the “Ode to Zarathustra”.