Antibiotics

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 01:54 am
My son is 3 years 6 months old.He gets cold and fever often.In two months i have given 3 times antibiotics like amoxylin....I just want to know whether this frequent usage of antibiotic as prescribed by Doctors will have any side effects?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,299 • Replies: 6
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 04:57 am
@inbanila,
yeh, constant use of antibiotics can make many of the bacteria just resistant to further use of antibiotics.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 06:08 am
You can also develop a sensitivity to amoxicilin, leaving a whole class of drugs you cannot take when you need them. By the way, antibiotics do nothing for colds and other viral diseases.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 07:56 am
Antibiotics famously do not work for colds, which are caused by a virus, not bacteria. Talk with your child's doctor more about what is going on. If they really are colds, change doctors.

Antibiotics are occasionally given if there are - subsequent to colds, not during them - bacterial infections. This doesn't sound like it.
nutsunderthetree

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 08:18 am
@ossobuco,
maybe what the baby has are respiratory infections, then he needs AB's..but if so, that many in a short period of time either he is already resistent,or the doc hasnt prescribed the proper AB for the specific 'bug' the child has...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 08:57 am
@inbanila,
If the child is in daycare with other children, he is going to have LOTS of colds and fevers. Colds are no big deal. Treat the symptoms, the cough, the nasal congestion with over the counter meds OR no meds at all.

(That was my mother's saying:
Cure a cold with medicine in six days, or without in seven.)

The problem is, by being around the other children~all of whom have colds occassionly too~, he will constantly pick up some other kid's virus. Remember Antibiotics do NOTHING against viruses linked to colds.
Just treat the colds as they come. Plenty of liquids, tasty fruits,,,WASH the kid's hands and face every chance you get and, if he's really miserable (like doesn't want to play) a dose of acetaminophen to reduce his fever.

Fevers are something else. but what is his temperature? 100°-104°F temps are nothing for a child. Plenty of fluids, bed rest and a change of clothes every few hours.
Temps over 104°F should be brought to the immediate attention of an MD and an alcohol bath administered.
(If you don't know how to do the bath, learn. )

Every kid gets colds. The kids who get a lot of them and are cared for without antibiotics will develop resistances against many of the common cold viruses.

My kid, an attendee at MANY daycares, reports he never gets a cold.

He's forty.

Joe(How the hell do I have a kid who's forty?)Nation
0 Replies

Lucy James

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 02:58 pm
@inbanila,
Antibiotics may be informally defined as the subgroup of anti-infectives that are derived from bacterial sources and are used to treat bacterial infections. Other classes of drugs, most notably the sulfonamides, may be effective antibacterials.

Thanks in advance,
Lucy
0 Replies