Why George W. Bush will win in 2004

Fedral

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 12:05 pm
Why George W. Bush will win in 2004[/u]
By:Trevor Bothwell
February 22, 2004

Republicans are growing increasingly anxious about the reelection of President Bush this November. Their concerns are entirely valid given the president's spending history, his leniency toward illegal immigrants, and some recent opinion polls showing John Kerry leading Bush. But while it's never wise to underestimate the competition, they should bear in mind the president's primary advantage: Most Americans understand -- or will realize come autumn -- that this election is about national security.

Incidentally, Democrats realize this too, which explains their incessant attacks on Bush's Air National Guard service during Vietnam, where Terry McAuliffe accused the president of going "AWOL" despite the fact he was granted an honorable discharge. Attacking George W. Bush's military record during the 2000 election didn't work, so they're apparently resorting to their favorite strategy: Repeat lies often enough until you can convince people they're true.

We've seen this strategy played out repeatedly during the past two years: Bush is "stupid"; he "lied" us into war; "Big Oil!" The problem with this infantile slandering is that President Bush isn't an idiot -- he has an MBA from Harvard Business School (say what you want about his intellect; many a privileged son have gotten the boot from HBS); Americans know it takes skill and character to be a fighter pilot; and they understand that Congress -- the same Congress that granted Bush permission to declare war on Iraq -- had available the same intelligence data on WMDs that Bush had.

So even if Democrats feign patriotism and hawkishness (to wit: as in the 2002 midterm run-up) from now until November, there's every reason to believe that their relentless maligning of the current commander-in-chief has already begotten their ruin.

However, assuming the Democratic Party in general hasn't already driven away too many moderates to regain the presidency, there are still several reasons their prospective nominee might (my prediction: a Kerry/Edwards ticket).

First, John Kerry is almost as exciting as a barium enema. Have you heard his speeches following his primary wins? The guy looks like he's going after the Walter Mondale Award for Motivational Speaking instead of the highest office in the land. I think this is one big reason we've seen John Edwards close the voting gap after the primaries in Virginia and Wisconsin. Aside from that sexy boyish grin, Edwards' stump speeches at least keep voters awake long enough for them to hear him promise to arrange some slip-and-fall suits should a Republican Congress refuse to increase welfare subsidies during his term.

Second, assuming the new JFK gets the nod, Kerry's insistence upon degrading Bush's previous military service (during a war, of all times) is not only indicative of his apparent disdain for our military, but it demonstrates an absence of character that I'm not sure we even witnessed in Bill Clinton (seriously). Any "leader" who is so self-absorbed as to not only tout his own military record, but berate those who have served their country in any capacity -- the irony of Kerry's self-congratulation regarding Vietnam after famously badmouthing his fellow veterans notwithstanding -- does not possess the integrity required to befit the office which he seeks.

In short, only a liberal would attempt to imply that Bush's military service 30 years ago is a greater issue than his current war record -- which in only two years includes the successful overthrow of the Taliban, the capture of Saddam Hussein, and the elimination or capture of two-thirds of al-Qaeda terrorists, not to mention the liberation of the Afghan and Iraqi people. Ironically, the leadership Bush exhibits today likely was fashioned in large part by way of the military service John Kerry et al. are again attempting to disparage.

Which leads to my final point. Whereas President Bush possesses clarity of vision, John Kerry shifts positions frequently. Kerry voted against the Gulf War in 1991, but now says he favored it; he voted for the Iraq war, but now says he's opposed; he says he favors reconstruction in Iraq, but voted against the $87 billion to fund it; he used to think the Patriot Act was the best thing since marrying a gazillionaire, but now condemns it as an assault on civil liberties. Look, it's one thing to change your mind after history proves you wrong; it's totally another to be an opportunist willing to talk out both sides of your mouth.

America is finally on the offensive in confronting terrorism, led currently by a president who has strayed from his base on occasion, but who nonetheless remains true to his convictions where it counts -- keeping us alive.

Whether the Democrats can convince enough Americans to buy into their irrelevant accusations before the November elections is not the issue. The fact that their rhetoric is being used to conceal their complete absence of a better war strategy, or a better overall path for the security of the country, is.

The Democrats know this is their problem. I'm betting that most Americans know this, too. And that's why President Bush will win. Again.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,988 • Replies: 25
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 12:08 pm
Yeah, that seems about right...
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 02:04 pm
Bush didn't win... Gore lost.

Before you slam me on that McG... again, that's my opinion, and I stand by it.

Having said that... 2004 is Bush's to lose. Kerry can't win, unless Bush loses...
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 02:44 pm
I suddenly get the urge to quote Pablo Francisco: "Whatever!!" (imitating a Latina :wink: )....No seriously, very good point Fedral.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 03:29 pm
Will get back.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 03:46 pm
The War President
Dubya won wars? Uh, which ones? Even if Iraq and Afghanistan were subdued, which they aren't, it wouldn't have been Dubya who accomplished this but the Miltitary. Anyone could have issued orders to attack other countries, even a barely litterate, inarticulate, baffon could do that, especially after America was attacked.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 03:49 pm
feral is quoting Trevor there Rick.
Its quite amazing now that GW is getting his own face rubbed in it, Im amused that the GOPs are crying foul.
"You caint say that about our Presidaint" you say, .However, i feel that someone must say so many things about this fraud of a president.
His entire administration is full of robber baron types who are doling out big No-Bid contracts to a company whose former president only needed a good "wag the dog" war to try out his theory of "privatizing" most military functions. Then another big no-bid contract to clean up the mess our war has caused. Where do all these billions of bogus bucks begin? (Look in a mirror)
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 04:29 pm
Bush possesses "clarity of vision," the author says. True enough, of course, but so do most children.

"The enemy is evil. We are good. We must prevail."

What a reassuring vision for solving the world's problems! So simple. Why didn't someone think of this sooner?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 04:40 pm
The author no doubt a staunch supporter of Bush's has the audacity to make fun of the way Kerry speaks. One has to wonder whether he has ever listened and watched his idol fumblestillskin speak.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 04:42 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
"The enemy is evil. We are good. We must prevail."

Moral relativists make my skin itch. We are good the people who make terror attacks on innocent civilians are evil, end of story.

D'artagnan wrote:
What a reassuring vision for solving the world's problems! So simple. Why didn't someone think of this sooner?

If other leaders HAD followed this example, perhaps 9/11 wouldn't have happened and thousands would still be alive today.

The simplest truths are sometimes the hardest to accept.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 04:48 pm
Fedral, thanks for the opinion on the right.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 04:49 pm
Dubya is simpleton
Not Qualified, Not Truthful, Not Wise
By Sydney Schanberg
The Village Voice

Wednesday 18 February 2004

Quote:
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 04:56 pm
Fedral, if you get a chance, check out "The Fog of War. It's an interview with Robert McNamara, the Donald Rumsfeld of the '60s, though it's an insult to McNamara's intelligence to make that comparison.

Anyhow, he talks about how, during WWII, he and Curtis LeMay plotted the fire bombing of Japanese cities. Hundreds of thousands dead. McNamara says that before the war ended, LeMay said, "If we lose this war, we'll be tried as war criminals."

LeMay, not heretofore known as anything other than a hard-core hawk, must have been one of those moral relativists who makes your skin itch...
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 05:16 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Anyhow, he talks about how, during WWII, he and Curtis LeMay plotted the fire bombing of Japanese cities. Hundreds of thousands dead. McNamara says that before the war ended, LeMay said, "If we lose this war, we'll be tried as war criminals."

LeMay, not heretofore known as anything other than a hard-core hawk, must have been one of those moral relativists who makes your skin itch...

No, because LeMay never forgot who the real enemy was and he never wavered in his belief that what he was doing was necessary for victory.

LeMay knew that the only way to ensure victory was to take the war to the enemy and keep hitting him as many times as it took until the enemy saw no other logical choice but surrender.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 05:25 pm
Fair enough re LeMay, but what about his statement to McNamara? You dodged that part of my post. I'm well aware of LeMay's commitment to victory.

"If we lose, we'll be tried as war criminals." What would the Japanese have done with LeMay? Were they any less convinced of how right they were?
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 06:43 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Fair enough re LeMay, but what about his statement to McNamara? You dodged that part of my post. I'm well aware of LeMay's commitment to victory.

"If we lose, we'll be tried as war criminals." What would the Japanese have done with LeMay? Were they any less convinced of how right they were?

I don't feel i dodged anything, LeMay knew that deliberate attacks against using strategic bombing was something unprecedented in the annals of war and he knew that what they were doing would have been considered wrong by the peoples upon whom such attacks were being conducted.

LeMay understood, as few others did, that when you break new ground in war, that conduct could be considered 'improper' by some.

I suggest you read some of the books written about him before you read into his words, things that were not stated.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 07:27 pm
Yeah
We need to discuss this at length. It's real important. Neo Fascists need to convince the world of their agenda. Let's get some more info about that agenda and how we will be better off with them running the planet.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 07:36 pm
Re: Why George W. Bush will win in 2004
Fedral wrote:
Attacking George W. Bush's military record during the 2000 election didn't work, so they're apparently resorting to their favorite strategy: Repeat lies often enough until you can convince people they're true.

Yeah, like that strategy has never been used by republicans.

Fedral wrote:
Americans know it takes skill and character to be a fighter pilot; and they understand that Congress -- the same Congress that granted Bush permission to declare war on Iraq -- had available the same intelligence data on WMDs that Bush had.

That remains to be seen. I don't think most Americans believe he even showed up for his guard duty. I don't think the bringing up of his past guard duty is helping democrats though, as it will never be proven either way, and I don't really think that Americans give a damn either way, unless there is irrefutable proof of him shirking duties. On the point about congress having the same intelligence data as Bush, I think people aren't going to care about that. Bush is the president, and the WMD misinformation debacle rests squarely on him, as far as the people are concerned.

Fedral wrote:
Whether the Democrats can convince enough Americans to buy into their irrelevant accusations before the November elections is not the issue. The fact that their rhetoric is being used to conceal their complete absence of a better war strategy, or a better overall path for the security of the country, is.

This is a very good point, and if the democrats don't come up with articulate, specific answers, then I agree, Bush will win again.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 08:23 pm
No matter.
It really doens't matter what Dems forward. Events will shape the election. Most Americans don't keep up with the details like many on the Net do. Most Americans get a general feel for what's going on and they seem to base their views on their own lives and those around them. The Dems have an agenda and will no doubt spell it out once the canditate and VP choice have been made. What will matter is how the economy is doing and Iraq and to some small part Afghanistan. People seem to think that there is only one war going on. There are three.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 08:49 pm
And I believe that the dems plan to deal with terrorism and Iraq will be the only issue that will matter to most people. They'd better had something good up their sleeve to beat the fear mongers.
0 Replies