Amendment to Allow Immigrant Presidents

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 02:50 pm
It's in the Constitution. After they grandfathered in the men who were born under British rule, I would imagine the idea was to assure a Brit couldn't be elected President and betray the new country.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 03:28 pm
?
Is the Gropenator a US citizen?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 06:42 pm
Ever so faintly related tidbit of news:

Quote:
American Republican Lia Roberts to run for Romanian presidency

Lia Roberts, the 54 year-old Romanian born chairwoman of the Nevada Republican Party, who has also preserved her Romanian citizenship, announced her intention to run as a presidential candidate in this year's elections in Romania, with her two main arguments being her privileged connections with politicians in Washington, president Bush included, and her affording to spend 15 million dollars from her own budget on an election campaign. The sum is just enough to start a bank in Romania and is eight times higher than the money a Romanian candidate is legally allowed to spend for their own campaigns. Lia Roberts, who a year ago would have settled for the office of US ambassador in Bucharest, has recently made public her presidential ambitions which she said were stirred by the positive messages received from Romanians after having appeared as a guest on Marius Tuca Show on Antena 1 private television late October last year. It is however hard to believe that a skilled politician like herself decided to run for president in a country like Romania following a mere TV show. Lia Roberts, a rightist, said she did not believe her candidature would strengthen Adrian Nastase's position in the presidential race. "I will take votes from everybody because I represent the entire Romanian people and because there are things above any political interests: the every day life", said the American politician.

(I remembered this from the paper, but had to look in unexpected corners to find a link.)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 06:47 pm
au1929 wrote:
Is the US alone in limiting the head of state to native born citizens or is it a common practice? Anyone?

As far as I could find in the Dutch Wikipedia's reprint of the Constitution, the office of the Dutch Prime Minister is not limited in such a way.

Of course, formally our head of state is our Queen - and, being an inherited office, thats kinda naturally limited to native born citizens ...
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 07:45 pm
au1929 wrote:
Is the US alone in limiting the head of state to native born citizens or is it a common practice? Anyone?

To be Mexican president:

Mexican by birth AND at least one of the parents is Mexican, either by birth or naturalization.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 07:56 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Absolutely not!

Why?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 08:42 pm
I can only give you one name that I think should suffice; Kissinger.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 12:12 am
Re: ?
pistoff wrote:
Is the Gropenator a US citizen?
Laughing Laughing Laughing pistoff: sometimes, when I have had quite a bit to drink, you totally crack me up! Laughing Laughing(still laughing)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 09:22 am
Craven
I read an article in the news today which indicated that an American born "off shore" could not aspire to the presidency. I looked it up and found this article.

Quote:
Is McCain Eligible for the Presidency?
Matt Alsdorf
Posted Friday, Jan. 7, 2000, at 2:57 PM PT

Article II of the U.S. Constitution specifies that only "natural born" citizens of the United States are eligible to become president. Does the fact that John McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone disqualify him?
Probably not. "Natural born" appears only once in the Constitution, as one of three prerequisites for presidential candidates (they must also have lived in the U.S. for more than 14 years and be at least 35 years old). Most constitutional scholars interpret "natural born" to cover everyone who was born an American citizen. This includes 1) people born in the U.S. (including territories such as Guam and the Virgin Islands) to parents of any citizenship; and, 2) people born abroad to American parents. Although the United States governed the Panama Canal Zone as "if it were sovereign" until 1979, it was treated as foreign soil for the purposes of American citizenship. But since McCain's parents were Americans, he was granted U.S. citizenship at birth.

The federal courts have never ruled definitively on the meaning of "natural born" citizenship as it applies to presidential candidates. The issue last surfaced in the 1960s when George Romney, born in Mexico to American parents, and Barry Goldwater, who was born in the Arizona Territory, ran for president.

I guess you can be elected to the office. Laughing
0 Replies