Amendment to Allow Immigrant Presidents

au1929

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 08:11 am
Schwarzenegger Backs Amendment to Allow Immigrant Presidents

By JOHN M. BRODER

Published: February 23, 2004

LOS ANGELES, Feb. 22 — Arnold Schwarzenegger, who has been governor of California for just 98 days, may already be eyeing a bigger stage than Sacramento.
Mr. Schwarzenegger, who immigrated to the United States from Austria 35 years ago, on Sunday endorsed an amendment to the Constitution to allow immigrants who have been citizens for at least 20 years to run for president. Mr. Schwarzenegger became a citizen in 1983.
Making his Sunday morning talk show debut on the NBC program "Meet the Press," Mr. Schwarzenegger was asked whether he would support changing the Constitution to allow naturalized citizens to serve as president. Senator Orrin G. Hatch, the Utah Republican, has proposed such an amendment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/23/national/23ARNO.html?th

Any opinion? Would you back the amendment?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,187 • Replies: 28
No top replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 09:51 am
If America can't bring itself to elect a female or a black President, both legal, I'd of thought it even less likely that the country would allow a new law so that an immigrant can become President.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 10:22 am
It sounds like a dangerous proposition to me. Of course, I've probably read too much Ludlum. I rather doubt an immigrant could ever win anyway, but Schwarzenegger would probably have the best shot. Boy, how terrified would the world be of him?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 10:33 am
Absolutely not!
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 10:45 am
It's not a popularity contest ... or is it? I'm looking aghast at the contenders in there and really it's a case of the least worst will get it. There has got to be a better system for electing a president. I think a lot of folks who are less rich and ruthless than these participants would be better leaders for this country, yet they don't have a chance in hell of even getting to sniff the white house. There's something wrong somewhere but how to fix it!

So my answer is ... no, we don't need to be loosening the criteria any further. We are already very accepting of a lot of criminal, lying, cheating and other bothersome behavior of our president. While many immigrants may better serve than those we have chosen in the past, this really should be an American-born and raised citizen who holds the post.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 10:53 am
Is the US alone in limiting the head of state to native born citizens or is it a common practice? Anyone?
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 10:59 am
Reluctantly, I say 'yes'.

Whoever that person may be, and wherever that person may come from... still gotta be elected.

I mean... a movie actor who became California Govorner? President? Never happen!
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 11:09 am
Let me see.. born in USA, lived all adult life in Columbia, comes back .. and becomes the president??

This is better than Arnie?

I think a lot more time must pass before Americans feel secure enough to say 'I am an American' without risking close relationship with immigrants, no older than some 400 years at best, mostly just about 100 or so.

I think in 500 years, when Americans take real roots, then they can open to immigrant presidents.

If some force from outside is to take US by planting their own president, he can as well be an American-born man - plenty to choose from.

I think this limitation is very much common practice - and is kind of a modern version of the King rule - namely the blood relationship.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 11:11 am
I don't see why an immigrant shouldn't be president if a majority of the voters wants him.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 11:18 am
Thomas
Can a foreign born become Chancellor in Germany? I know Hitler was Austrian but they and the Germans were kissing cousins.

Do you know whether France has the restriction?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 11:24 am
au1929 wrote:
Can a foreign born become Chancellor in Germany?

Legally speaking, he can. Practically speaking he can't, because nobody would vote for him. I doubt that Germans would vote for foreign-born governors, though we do have some foreign born mayors. America's laws are more restrictive than Germany's, but Americans are far (FAR!!!) more open minded about immigrants than Germans are.

Don't know about France. (UPDATE: I just looked up this translation of the French constitution. It appears to contain no restrictions on who can become president, as long as he's a citizen and old enough to vote.)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 12:41 pm
I vote yes. Let xenophobia be the cautionary measure. It'd work just as good as a law would anyway.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 02:01 pm
(I knew it! CdK for president in ... what? 2012?)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 02:05 pm
Actually that law doesn't apply to me. I was born a citizen.

I'd thought it did but fishin' clarified that the criteria is being born with citizenship and not necessarily being born stateside.

I still think that xenophobia would be an effective deterrent for what most people fear. But hey, I can already be president (not that I'd want to, I'd start so many wars).
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 02:06 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Actually that law doesn't apply to me. I was born a citizen.

Oops.. mis-remembered your biography.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 02:23 pm
Does dual citizenship count. My granddaughter has both an American and Czech passport? .
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 02:29 pm
I'm pretty sure it counts as long as she was born with the right to the American one.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 02:38 pm
Of course should there be the chance for an immigrant to become the president of the USA...how else can I become the president of America???
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 02:43 pm
I see no logic reason an immigrant couldn't run. What bothers me is that I never heard this proposed until Arnold came on the scene. Puh-leaze..
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 02:47 pm
As the law originated some time ago, there was probably a good reason for it then.
0 Replies