What health benefits are obtained from drinking honey with turmeric?

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 09:28 am
Hi friends

One of my co-workers mixes honey with turmeric powder and drinks a cup every day at lunch. Is there some health benefits by drinking this? I am genuinely curious but I don't know her too well and there might be sensitive health reasons involved.

Thanks
Lucy James
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 10,632 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 10:04 am
@Lucy James,
Why not ask her what she thinks the benefits are?

To my knowledge and research, other than a placebo effect, there's no scientific proof or clinical trials that indicate any health benefits.

According to research on that same query on Internet, you may have recently asked the exact same question on Yahoo Answers and an herbal health sites and have already gotten the same reply - no known health benefits.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 10:27 am
Inflamation is general problem, and not just for the heart, and it seems to be affected by certain foods like tumeric and ginger. Normally having a high CRP score, I consume lots of tumeric and ginger. That I'm still here is the only evidence that it works. Rolling Eyes Confused
roger

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 11:59 am
@JLNobody,
I very recently saw an article from David Mendosa on the benefits of chia seeds as anti inflamatory. I consider Mendosa a reliable reporter, but I just can't persue everything that comes along.
JLNobody

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 03:52 pm
@roger,
I heard something like that too, but I was afraid that I would grow a chia plant in my stomach just like the object sold at Xmas.
roger

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 04:19 pm
@JLNobody,
Yeah. My sister fed me mud pies when I was young and even more gullible. Then she let me eat cherries right off the tree - with the seeds.

I think that was about the time she started noticing that some people are a lot smarter than others.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 06:48 am
@Lucy James,
I know both are supposed to be very healthy and stuff for you. Although not sure if used together there any benefits.

Honey though you have to be using the good stuff - the good honey is extremely expensive. I was getting in the habit of having a couple of tablespoons a day of the wild honey - I forget the exact one - it was from Australia I think - depends on the bees and where they get their pollen.

The normal store stuff has little health benefits.
Ragman

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 07:17 am
@Linkat,
why do you feel the expensive honey is any better? I'm a fan of organic foods but for the life of me I just buy honey (organic) by the taste.
Linkat

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 11:06 am
@Ragman,
This is the one I get ...

http://www.vitacost.com/Images/Products/200/Wedderspoon/Wedderspoon-Certified-Organic-New-Zealand-Manuka-Honey-Active-12-Plus-094922556677.jpg

I go to this health store and also have listen to this local phd on holistic medicine who recommends it - he has also spoken about turmic, but not together.

This is from wikipedia on the honey:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C4%81nuka_honey

Ragman

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 11:29 am
@Linkat,
Yes, I understand you prefer a brand but...why do you feel the expensive honey is any better?
Linkat

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 11:42 am
@Ragman,
I included a link on above to show you - but since you ask - I found more on webmd:

But not all honey is the same. The antibacterial quality of honey depends on the type of honey as well as when and how it's harvested. Some kinds of honey may be 100 times more potent than others.

Components of Manuka Honey
Hydrogen peroxide is a component of honey. It gives most honey its antibiotic quality. But some types of honey, including manuka honey, also have other components with antibacterial qualities.

The major antibacterial component in manuka honey is methylglyoxal (MG). MG is a compound found in most types of honey, but usually only in small quantities.

In manuka honey, MG comes from the conversion of another compound -- dihydroxyacetone -- that is found in high concentration in the nectar of manuka flowers.

MG gives manuka honey its antibacterial power. The higher the concentration of MG, the stronger the antibiotic effect.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/manuka-honey-medicinal-uses
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 11:44 am
@Ragman,
and here is a website that discusses the different types of honey.

http://www.benefits-of-honey.com/manuka-honey.html
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 11:46 am
@Ragman,
I went to a great series of workshops by an apiarist last year. He recommended using single source honey, and most importantly, honey from your area.
Linkat

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 11:57 am
@ehBeth,
I did mean to add - one benefit of getting honey from your area is to help with seasonal allergies - makes sense as the bees in your area are making honey from local pollen. I actually just found this out maybe a month ago - so I that is one thing I did want to add to my diet - to help with my allergies especially as they were so bad this year.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 12:08 pm
@Lucy James,
I found this on a herbalist's website:

I have been making turmeric honey for some time now. I take:

9 parts dried turmeric powder
1/2 part freshly ground black pepper (grind it finely)
1/2 part dried ginger powder

Mix thoroughly. Start adding a liquid honey into the powder. It helps to warm the honey which allows it to absorb better. I usually use a local honey, but a eucalyptus or manuka honey would add additional benefit. Just make sure the honey is not whipped or crystallized because you need it to be runny. Stir, slowly adding the honey until all the powder is dissolved and you have a thick paste. The amount will vary depending on the moisture content of the honey, but a pound of turmeric in honey usually fills a 20 oz jar. The exact proportions are not critical as this is a food grade herb.

What is it good for? All kinds of things. If you suffer from arthritis, back pain or any kind of joint pain, this helps reduce the inflammation. I suggest it to most clients who suffer from autoimmune disease as it reduces flares when taken consistently at a teaspoonful per day. I had one client who suffered from large lipomas in her arms- after 6 months they had shrunk from softball size to golf ball size. If your C-reactive protein levels are high, indicating inflammation, this can frequently lower them. It is useful for reducing symptoms of crohn’s disease, lupus, RA, fatty liver, hepatitis and to prevent gallstones. Turmeric helps detoxify so is useful after exposure to industrial or household toxins. It can be mixed with warm milk or nutmilks for children coming down with an infection. You can mix it with other herbs or use the turmeric honey alone.

http://www.acupuncturebrooklyn.com/alternative-health/turmeric-honey-for-inflammation
0 Replies