THIS PLACE SUCKS ! ! !

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 01:04 pm
@Ragman,
Which browser version and OS are you using?

If you feel like experimenting, try using a different browser (if you have one) and see if the problem persists.

That will narrow the problem down to being something incompatible with your browser settings if it works with the other browser, or something incompatible with your system set up (firewalls, etc.) if the problem migrates to the other browser.
Ragman

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 01:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
thanks for the idea. However, the contest JUST ended so I'll assume the problem will have ended, as well (until next yr at this time).
rosborne979

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 08:05 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I think you should charge people $1.00 per year to join A2K. That would immediately filter out the "drive-by shooters".
JPB

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 10:27 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

... the contest JUST ended ....

YAY!!!! I hope one of our guys won.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 09:27 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
I think you should charge people $1.00 per year to join A2K. That would immediately filter out the "drive-by shooters".

Unfortunately that would probably just filter everyone (new) out, leaving the site to decay through atrophy.

There are better ways to solve the rather simple problem of people wanting to talk about different things on the same site. Instead of trying to make the entire site's stream of thought be monolithic it should, instead, merely better support diverse streams of thought.

So the model of a single firehose of "new posts" doesn't really work well and it should better allow users to pick what should be in it or not.

Every since the site began there has been the problem of some content not being desirable to others (word games, politics, rap battles, water softeners...) and the solution isn't to try to block it from the entire site but to have the site better support its scale.

Things like decryptonite (or any niche that not everyone is interested in) should be a microcosm that you don't notice. The problem is simply that we can't expect everyone on the site to be interested in all the topics and putting them all together in a single "new posts" firehose does not scale well to diverse topics.
djjd62

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 10:00 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
The problem is simply that we can't expect everyone on the site to be interested in all the topics and putting them all together in a single "new posts" firehose does not scale well to diverse topics.

but i am interested in all the topics, even if i never read a post, i want the option to be able to, so just make sure the option to see everything is available
ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 10:06 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
The problem is simply that we can't expect everyone on the site to be interested in all the topics and putting them all together in a single "new posts" firehose does not scale well to diverse topics.

could the 'firehose' stay as one of the filtering options?
JPB

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 12:35 pm
@ehBeth,
The firehose works fine for me. The few Lovett's posts and word games are the only things I've voted down. Topics tend to go off track and take on a new life. I only vote down those things that I "know" I'll never want to open later.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 04:24 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

but i am interested in all the topics, even if i never read a post, i want the option to be able to, so just make sure the option to see everything is available

Agree. I used the noise filter during the decryptonite flood and it served its purpose well for that. But I realized missed a number of threads that I just found when I turned the filter off just now. I can stand to pass by this or that random smattering of topics I have no interest in. Now I know how to ignore an inundation of threads, all of the same topic.

I do wonder if it'd be possible for a user to ignore a tag (forum) in the same way one can ignore a user. Say you simply cannot stand threads about cats. So the next cat thread you see, click the tag "cats" - and the "cats" forum comes up, with all the threads that've been tagged "cats" showing up. I don't know if it's programmatically feasible, but what about an "ignore forum" button at the top of that page?

If all that were possible, I'd suggest a collapsed (ignored) thread would show some of the other tags given to the thread, to give the user some idea if it's something "worth" looking in to. two pennies
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 04:26 pm
@ehBeth,
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 06:06 pm
Quote:
I do wonder if it'd be possible for a user to ignore a tag (forum) in the same way one can ignore a user. Say you simply cannot stand threads about cats. So the next cat thread you see, click the tag "cats" - and the "cats" forum comes up, with all the threads that've been tagged "cats" showing up. I don't know if it's programmatically feasible, but what about an "ignore forum" button at the top of that page?

We have that now. Click on this link, then click on the "cats" tag. It will take you to the "cat" forum where you can click on the "remove forum" link.

Switch to a filtered New Posts list and you have your very own ignore forum button, except it is labeled "remove forum."
ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 06:41 pm
@djjd62,
I'm baaaaack (gone a week, computer futz). As all know, I love this site.

I don't filter since I continue to like to see everything, however aggravating that may be - except that I do use thumbs down re threads pretty liberally. I don't filter word games since I like a few of them, and so on. But I get that you are talking about more pinpoint filtering, Robert. Perhaps it's been pinpoint all along, but I hadn't caught on if it was.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 07:47 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:

Unfortunately that would probably just filter everyone (new) out, leaving the site to decay through atrophy.

I disagree. I think it would attract a more serious group of members whatever their chosen interest might be. And I think that in turn would result in a more valuable offering to other potential members who would also be willing to pay to interact in high quality threads.

The $1/year should be trivial to anyone who already owns a computer. So the primary result of the fee would simply be to dissuade anyone who really has no serious interest in interaction and who just wants to post a bunch of nonsense (or personal psychological sickness) into our awareness.

But that's just my opinion. I have no data to back it up. And I could be wrong.
roger

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 08:14 pm
@rosborne979,
Trivial, sure. Would I have to deal with PayPal, or if I'm on an unfamiliar site am I supposed to fork over a credit card number on demand?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 09:00 pm
The site could be free for six months before the dollars kicks in. I could send two rolls of pennies through the mail.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 09:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
I like the free
in all its meanings.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 07:17 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
The site could be free for six months before the dollars kicks in. I could send two rolls of pennies through the mail.

Through the mail to where, exactly? Accounting this stuff is a logistical nightmare, even with Paypal, as people often don't have userids that are easy to match with the names on their financials that they share with Paypal.
JPB

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 07:22 am
@Butrflynet,
But wouldn't the filtered new posts list also filter out whatever else it determines to be your "noise"?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 07:24 am
@jespah,
1. find a hamster
2. hand over the money (converting from your currency to Hamster dollars)
3. say, "thank you!"
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2012 07:49 am
@jespah,
But Paypal won't accept pennies.
0 Replies