Mental Decline & Dependency/Coping With Aging Loved Ones

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 09:51 am
@Phoenix32890,
This is actually true, or somewhat true.. takes about three weeks, they say.
Izzie

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 09:49 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

He has an appt. with the nephrologist next week.[/b]

Hey Phoenix...

Any news yet? Did Mr P see the doc yet? Hope all is OK.
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 09:54 am
@Izzie,
Iz- We are going this afternoon. He is still on a roller coaster, BP wise, with all the medications that he takes, and is getting very upset about it.
Izzie

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 09:56 am
@Phoenix32890,
Oh noooooo.... good luck thisavo... make a list of questions that he can ask so he feels more in control in the doctors office - it's easy to forget when you're there. Really hope you get some answers today. Calm calm calm thoughts. Let us know how you go gal. x
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 07:59 pm
@Izzie,
OK. Went to the nephrologist. Talked him into giving Mr. P. a referral to a urologist who will remove the cyst on his kidney. We are going to see him next Tuesday.There are no guarantees, but I have read a lot on the net that describes how the removal of kidney cysts sometimes cures or ameliorates hypertension. We are both willing to take the chance, because the roller coaster blood pressure is taking its toll out on both of us.
Izzie

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 09:50 pm
@Phoenix32890,
OK... good to hear that they are getting him to see someone quickly. Well done. keep strong...calm... thanku for letting us know. Take care of yourself too Phoenix - will take a toll on your both - so do take care. x
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 10:12 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Foxfyre- You might want to check the soup labels for sodium levels. Sodium is bad for hypertension. Most are way too high. I found Campbell's "Select Light" as a good compromise, as Mr. P. loves soup. It only has 400+ mg. of sodium, as the others have much more. I also threw out the potato chips!

Well we've been watching the diet pretty close the last four weeks and he goes back to the doctor on Friday this week. The doctor told him to lose 20 pounds and he wouldn't need the mild blood pressure medicine. (He's down around 10 lbs in four weeks.) The doctor hasn't mentioned salt yet, so I think he thinks its more the extra poundage than anything else. Chips at our house are plain restaurant style tortilla chips, though, and they are pretty low sodium. Almost all soups here are homemade, but I will be updating the recipes if we do need to go on a low salt regime. I hope we don't though as we both experience leg cramping with severe salt reduction.

But thanks for the advice. Who knows? We might need some good ideas for sodium free seasonings that a strict no-adventure meat and potatoes guy will eat.

Izzie, thanks too. Sis is currently taking care of herself. So far so good so far as I know.

P, what was the doctor verdict at your house?
Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 10:22 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre- Scroll up two posts. I explained it as an answer to Izzie's question.
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 11:25 am
@Phoenix32890,
Oh yes, I saw that, but missed the "Tuesday" part.....duh. Sorry. Will await verdict on the surgery.
Izzie

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 09:12 am
@Foxfyre,
Phoenix , Foxfyre et al

http://img.123greetings.com/eventsnew/enov_thanks_flowers/8493-009-34-1084.gif

Wishing you wellness and lovely days with your families. x
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 09:16 am
@Foxfyre,
Izzie- We went to the doctor. He will remove the cyst in January. There is a suspicion that some of Mr. P's digestive problems may have a connection to the cyst. It's a no-big-deal operation. Onwards and upwards!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Izzie

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 05:10 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Hey Phoenix

I'm glad they are going to operate sooner rather than later. I'm not sure how you celebrate Christmas, but it would be good not to have to be Florence Nightingale over the holiday period. Keeping a close eye on Mr. P and again, calm thoughts.... then, into the New Year and finding a positive way forward for you both. How does Mr P feel about it? It would be good if removing the cyst eases other problems too. Onwards and upwards gal. x

Hope you've had a great day.
Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 08:12 pm
@Izzie,
Izzie- The doctor who is operating, operates on Thursdays, so this year he has lost Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years'. I would not want Mr. P. to be operated on over the holidays anyway, because I have found that hospitals do not work at peak efficency during those times.

Mr. P. is looking forward to the operation. His blood pressure is really becoming quite a drag on him. Yesterday we went out. During the day he started to get the kind of headache that indicated that the pressure is shooting up. He took some medication, and when we came home he felt sick. His pressure had dropped dangerously low.

It is no fun to have to take your pressure multiple times during the day to attempt to figure out just how much medication to take.
Izzie

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 05:43 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Hey Folksies

How's everyone doing here? MrP? Pressure still all over the place or has it settled a little?

Hoping all are OK and coping with life's little journeys. x
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 08:06 am
@Izzie,
Izzie- I think that Mr. P. has gotten to the point where he has his pressure relatively under control. The problem is that he can sit down at the dinner table, a chair, and the next minute, he is falling asleep. He is doing this multiple times a day. This just started a few weeks ago, and is becoming worrisome.

I wonder if all the drugs that he is taking is doing this to him. I hope that the operation helps his pressure, so that he can take less medication!
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:58 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I have noticed this phenomenon with El Stud (hubby) too, Phoenix. Before the C-PAP he was almost narcoleptic and was suddenly dozing off almost any time that he sat still for a minute. It was a concern to me (and I think him) that he might fall asleep when driving. After he got the CPAP, however, he was actually sleeping at night and was awake and alert between wake up and bedtime. It was obviously noticeable. I loved it. He loved it.

Then something over a month ago, his blood pressure had spiked for the first time in his life and the doc put him on Linisopril. Ever since he is back to dozing off when watching TV or sitting at his desk. He is out on a working road trip this week and I am worried.

I ran across this article recently and made a note to keep advised of this:

Quote:
Vaccine may replace pills for high blood pressure
Tue Nov 6, 2007 1:01pm EST
By Will Dunham

ORLANDO, Florida (Reuters) - Cytos Biotechnology AG's vaccine to control high blood pressure is showing promise in early research, according to scientists who said on Tuesday it could free people from taking daily medication.

Many people with high blood pressure, also called hypertension, fail to keep it under control simply because they do not take their daily medicine.

Researchers led by Dr. Juerg Nussberger of the University Hospital of the Canton of Vaud in Lausanne, Switzerland are exploring an approach that would involve periodic vaccinations rather than daily pills.

A small study presented at a meeting of the American Heart Association showed that the vaccine reduced blood pressure in people with mild to moderate hypertension.

In the study, 65 men and seven women with high blood pressure were injected with either a lower or higher dose of the vaccine or with a placebo. Average age was 51.

Those who got the vaccine mounted a strong antibody response against the hormone.

More here:
http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSN0638274320071106
Tomkitten

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 11:45 am
@ossobuco,

Hi Phoenix - I read once, and have found it to be helpful - that instead of using salt as an ingredient, you can just sprinkle it very lightly over the surface of a serving. The salt flavor hits the taste buds, but adds little actual sodium.

How is everyone here doing? I haven't forgotten all the help you and the others gave me last year. I'm doing well, keeping very busy as the editor of the new online version of the newsletter portion of our community's weekly calendar (too many "of"s?) as well as my library volunteer work, and, of course, my afghans. I have dinner with friends 3 or 4 times a week, so have a pleasant and active social life.

Izzie

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 05:15 pm
@Tomkitten,
Hey there TK - good to see you. So glad you are doing well and have a busy social life.

How is everyone else going - P's, FF's et al? Everyone geared up for the Christmas break? Hope you will all get to have a relaxing time. Foxfyre - I'm still concerned about your driving 20 hours - gosh - LONG JOURNEY!!!!! even with breaks.

Lady Diane, Osso, BBB.... hope you will get to relax a little over Christmas too - know it's very difficult when you are so worried for your loved ones, leave alone the physical caring - that's when friends are truly known - Lady Diane - please take all the help you can and rest when you can too.

I'm not very organised right now - not much energy and the little fella is a jumping bean in disguise. We broke up from school (work) on Friday.... so, need to get a bit organised tomorrow. Joints aren't too bad - just hands and feet are problematic - but not too "complainable" about right now. Have a splint on my ring finger right hand which is protecting my knuckles which are ugh-ly swollen.

Other than that... just keeping going with the 'ole body and young mind. HA!

Hope all are doing well here - y'all take care. x

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 01:25 am
@Tomkitten,
Good to "see" you again, Tomkitten!

I think especially Noddy would be glad to hear that you're doing so fine - but certainly it's a pleasure for us others as well Wink

[I'm having a lot of trouble re mother -and a little re aunt- but can deal with that a lot better.]

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 04:38 am
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
Then something over a month ago, his blood pressure had spiked for the first time in his life and the doc put him on Linisopril. Ever since he is back to dozing off when watching TV or sitting at his desk. He is out on a working road trip this week and I am worried.

Foxfyre- I certainly can understand your concern.
The problem with Mr. P. is that he is VERY sensitive to a lot of meds. Recently, he was given a boatload. One (or more) of the new meds is probably giving him a medication headache. So, in addition to closely monitoring his pressure, he has to deal with controlling his pain. So he takes prescriptions for pain, and THAT is probably making him dopey.

Last night I walked in the living room. I really thought that he was dead. He usually sleeps on the couch with his head drooping, but this time his head was practically in his lap. Of course, the had the remote control tightly gripped in his hand.
[/color]I gave out a loud scream, and gratefully, it was enough to rouse him from the dead!

The vaccine sounds interesting. Problem is, by the time that the FDA gets around to approving it, we probably will all be pushing up daisies!
0 Replies