Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 01:16 pm
How is everyone here? Hugs to all. x
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 08:28 am
ooooooooooh...... where are y'all???

Phoenix - how are you?

FoxFyre - you, sis, CPAP...

hoping all is OK with everyone - know this thread is a hard one to visit right .... but just checking in here.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 09:22 am
Izzie- Thanks for asking. I am still futzing around with whatever it is that has invaded my system. I had had 10 days worth of antibiotics in the house, which improved things somewhat. After I stopped taking it, I started to relapse.

Last week I went to my G.P., and he said that I probably had not taken enough, so he gave me a prescription for Zithromax, which you take for five days.

Tomorrow is the last day of the Zithromax, and whatever it is that invaded me is still hanging on. I don't feel sick, yet I don't feel well. Mr. P. is insisting that I see the E.N.T. If I don't feel better by tomorrow, I'll make an appointment this coming week.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 09:22 am
Izzie- Thanks for asking. I am still futzing around with whatever it is that has invaded my system. I had had 10 days worth of antibiotics in the house, which improved things somewhat. After I stopped taking it, I started to relapse.

Last week I went to my G.P., and he said that I probably had not taken enough, so he gave me a prescription for Zithromax, which you take for five days.

Tomorrow is the last day of the Zithromax, and whatever it is that invaded me is still hanging on. I don't feel sick, yet I don't feel well. Mr. P. is insisting that I see the E.N.T. If I don't feel better by tomorrow, I'll make an appointment this coming week.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 09:38 am
Mental Decline
Quote:
Phoenix, Izzie and Foxfire, wishes to all of you for all the you are going through. To Walter too.

Our problems are perhaps a bit harder to bear without Noddy's help and counsel. She bound us all together, but we have another bond in our memories of her. She gave of herself to her physical family and to her online family, regardless of her own difficulties.

We will all miss her support, but can hope in turn to provide support ourselves for those of us who remain behind.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 09:45 am
Phoenix - mmmmmmm - kinda agree with Mr.P - seems to be going on an awful long time... if it were viral then antibiotics would not help, and could be a nasty viral infection - but if they keep throwing antibiotics at you - that would not resolve it.

Not pleasant for you - just takes you down when you feel poorly all the time. Maybe give the ENT folk a call - sending you hugs and hope you will feel better soon.

Hey TK - missing Noddy terribly. We're here tho and her support is still in this thread and all around A2K - read some of her posts today in a really old thread - she was hysterical as well as being wise with it - love her. Hope all is alright with you and you're well.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 10:03 am
Tomkitten- You are so right. Noddy had become such an integral part of my existence. I had only met her once in person, but her kindness and wisdom affected me as if she were someone that I had known all my life.

There will never be another Noddy, but we all have each other!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 10:37 am
Izzie, TK, and everybody, thanks.

Phoenix, do take the Mr's advice and get a second opinion. I give huge thanks for the life saving qualities of antibiotics and they are truly a blessing when they are necessary. But I am becoming more and more suspicious of their negative side effects especially when prescribed in heavy quantities for something that has no definitive diagnosis.

Hubby finally got the results of his sleep test. The diagnosis is apnea in the severe range which puts it in the life threatening category. Of course we were at week six when they got back to him on that. (He's still with us and quite well thank you.) We are now waiting to hear that his CPAP has arrived and will go for the fitting and instructions. Hopefully that will be within this next week.

Sister is in a skilled nursing facility--admitted for a minimum of two weeks but she insists she will only be there for a very few days and then will insist on going home. There are still large concerns for the rest of us.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 12:53 pm
Thought of you today, foxfyre. CPAP's are on special at the local homehealthcare shop - big sign out front - available - and some kinda discount this weekend (and bonus loyalty club member points). I thought it was a bit annoying - you need one, we've apparently got a surplus Confused
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 01:23 pm
ehBeth- I have a CPap machine. I needed a prescription, and it was ordered through the doctor's office. The same thing with my TENS machine. I don't know if the same procedures apply everywhere.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 01:32 pm
You don't need prescriptions for either here.

If you want your insurance carrier to cover them, then you need a prescription/letter, but you can pick them up yourself quite easily.

Lotsa people buy TENS machines without prescriptions. They are kind of funnily popular.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 04:21 pm
Neither of us need a TENS so far anyway. And yes we want our insurance to pay for the CPAP and any equipment/supplies that need to be replaced for it, so we will go the prescription route there for sure. Also want to be sure it is properly fit and is working properly because if he needs it, it needs to be doing the job.

Does anybody know if TENS works on joint pain like an aching knee? How about sciatica?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 04:45 pm
Foxfyre- You can place the electrodes just about any place except for the neck and head area.

This article explains the "gate theory" of pain relief.

http://www.aromacaring.co.uk/pain_gate_theory.htm
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 05:02 pm
Thanks Phoenix. I hadn't thought about a TENS recently, but I thought that would be one thing to suggest to my Sister's doctor in lieu of the narcotic pain killers that may be also plaguing her.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 05:12 pm
Mental decline
I wonder if a TENS unit would help the pain of fibromyalgia.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 06:44 am
Re: Mental decline
Tomkitten wrote:
I wonder if a TENS unit would help the pain of fibromyalgia.

Isn't the pain from fibromyalgia rather diffuse, over many parts of the body? If there are one or two particularly nasty spots, the TENS could help, in conjunction with a pain reliever, and a muscle relaxer.

Foxfyre- I love my TENS. I use it mostly when I walk, because I have a lousy back (scoliosis, spinal stenosis, spurs on my vertebrae, the whole nine yards.) My Tens came with this, and it beats using the sticky pads by a mile:

http://www.empi.com/empi_products/detail.aspx?id=256

It also has the sticky pads if I want to use it on another part of my anatomy.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 09:47 am
Good to know, Phoenix. It probably wouldn't help somebody with pseudo pain who is hooked on painkillers, but the real pain--arthritic knee, bad back, etc. seems like a good candidate. Mr.FF also has a bad disc that causes him pain when he does any kind of aerobic walking. Maybe that's a solution for him too. We'll look into it.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 09:56 am
Mental Decline
Quote:
Isn't the pain from fibromyalgia rather diffuse, over many parts of the body?

Yes, but some parts hurt more than others. A TENS unit might help those areas. I think I'll ask my rheumatologist when I see her next week. Painkillers don't seem to help, at least those I'm willing to take. I don't like the ones that make you dopey - being on my own, I'm the default driver, so to speak - and even those wolud have to be pretty powerful. Anyway, being half zonked doesn't do much for my painting. Given a choice, I'll take the pain, but I'd prefer not to have to choose.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 10:32 am
Re: Mental Decline
Tomkitten wrote:
Quote:
Isn't the pain from fibromyalgia rather diffuse, over many parts of the body?

Yes, but some parts hurt more than others. A TENS unit might help those areas. I think I'll ask my rheumatologist when I see her next week. Painkillers don't seem to help, at least those I'm willing to take. I don't like the ones that make you dopey - being on my own, I'm the default driver, so to speak - and even those wolud have to be pretty powerful. Anyway, being half zonked doesn't do much for my painting. Given a choice, I'll take the pain, but I'd prefer not to have to choose.

I have a friend who suffers from fibromylagia. She obtained significant relief from a relatively new drug....I think Pregabalin (Lyrica). I hope I spelled that right. It is not without side effects but is non narcotic and I was interested in it for my sister. My friend has tolerated it well. She also ordered some of that stuff you spray into your mouth--advertised on TV--natural and OTC and she said it seemed to help. Can't remember what the name of that is though.
0 Replies