Mental Decline & Dependency/Coping With Aging Loved Ones

Izzie

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 03:53 pm
Good Evening Smile

Noddy - how are you girl?

I have just done a readback and see MrN is testing the patience of Dominion Holders and Angels. Love Cindy already - pleased you have a visiting Cindy. One thing that hadn't struck me before - MrN - his comment about being in the hospital... and then the obvious self-control or willful lack of, with him... well, he sounds kinda scared. His control is doing his thing - like it or not - healthy or not - it's his control. Maybe I am projecting my situation... but, MrN will do as MrN chooses... and Noddy girl, you have to watch and wait and just do what you can.

You talk little of you.... how are you? How is the poltergeist? How are your trials and tribulations girl?

I hope the dawg is less grumbly in the tummy - the dawgs poltergeist also wants to play games.... it's not an easy life for a Dominion Holder - and I'm thinking of you and sending you healing thoughts and lots of love to you.

Phoenix - am so, so pleased that you don't need to go ahead with surgery yet - your surgeon does sound a doll - and even when talking surgery and the dangers therein - to hold the hand of the person who is going to be playing with your heart in the future - well, I reckon that was a pretty good sign. Smile

Hope all others are well - FoxyF - hope the CPAP arrives soon and you and yours have restful sleep.

Iz x
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 03:59 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Well, things are looking up. I saw my regular cardiologist today, and his "take" on the matter was quite different from the other doctor.

He said that I will need a valve replacement, but not right now. He figures that about three years will do it. He showed me that my stats did not change dramatically over the years. He also pointed out that since I can walk 3-4 miles at a clip, I was still functioning well enough to stick with my own valve, for the moment.

What he pointed out was that the replacement valves have a finite life, and so he would not want me to be put in a position to have to have a redo when I was in my late seventies, or early 80's.

He was kidding around, saying that he made his money doing cardiac catheterizations. He would do one if I insisted, but pointed out that there is always a danger of having the wire that is threaded through the vein poking something loose, and causing a stroke. Bottom line, he does not want to do anything unless it is absolutely necessary.

He was an absolute doll. He held my hand, and told me that he would listen to me for as long as I wanted to talk. He did say though, that if I have any symptoms like shortness of breath, I should call him immediately. He made an appoiintment for another echocardiogram in January.

He even said that I could hike, when I explained that I climb small hills, and don't do anything really dramatic. Now Arthur is talking again about going to Utah this September, but he has a bunch of stuff that needs to be taken care of. I don't think that anything that he has is imminent, so we may just be going.

Hell, we just bought two ridiculously expensive cameras, and I can take pictures in Busch Gardens will my little point and shoot.

I feel a lot better now.

Wonderful Phoenix. In three years they may have hit on major advancements in medicine that will completely change everything again.

Again I feel anger that you've been put through the wringer over something that did not need to be nearly as traumatic and scary as what you have endured. That is the aspect of our modern medical system that I most abhor and I rail against though it doens't make anybody feel better but me.

We got my sister out of the hospital on Wednesday and she is staying with me for some additional nursing. After a week in the hospital, what seemed like gallons of blood drawn, x-rays, Ct scans, swabs, bone marrow biopsy, etc. etc. etc., they sent her home without a diagnosis. No clue what has made her sick or what will make her well. (Where is Dr. House when you need him?) But they needed the hospital bed.

Hold our dominion? Yes. But lordy, lordy, it is a challenge sometimes.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 04:09 pm
Mental Decline & Dependency/Coping With Aging Loved Ones
Wonderful news, Phoenix! Your cardiologist seems to be a most amazingly practical man, and you are tremendously lucky to have him.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 04:12 pm
FF- good to hear your sister is with you for some TLC - take care of yourself too. Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 05:06 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:

I feel a lot better now.

THAT.. is great news.
Im glad to hear that it isnt something that needs 100% attention right now.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 10:13 pm
CATCH-UP TIME
I have encountered that period of time when I have had four straight years of health problems with a resultant loss of mobility, endurance and an increased dependence on others...primarily my wife....it plays a bit with your self-confidence, doesn't it ?

Mapleleaf
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 11:16 pm
Phoenix, what good news! It also reassures me that there are still good, honest doctors out there whose main interest is in the patient's well being.

Hope you and Mr. Phoenix will stop by again on your way to Utah. It will be so good to see you both again.

Mapleleaf, I'm so sorry to hear about you long period of ill health. Please keep us informed of your progress or lack thereof. Good to see you posting.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 11:18 pm
Now for Noddy. Please do let son and dil do for you when they visit. Part of holding your dominion is taking care of yourself.

Nice that the swelling has lessened, but I hope there is something more that can be done. Thinking of you.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 06:48 am
Diane- At this point in time, there is a lot of medical stuff for Mr. P. that is up in the air. In fact, this morning, we are going to have him take another scan of his sinuses.

I probably won't know until the last minute if we can take our trip, but if we are in your neck of the woods, we will definitely want to spend some time with you and dys.

Mapleleaf- It is good to hear that you are in a better state, healthwise. I know that you were going through a lot of "stuff".
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 09:37 am
Tom kitten--

The Visiting Nurses have been aware of Mr. Noddy's mental disorientation from the get-go. His sons/stepson have just regarded him as a bit of a bore--but a bore-by-choice.

Osso--

Growls are welcome. Snarls, also.

Izzie--

Thanks for the moral support. Mr. Noddy is terrified, but convinced that he has us all snowed and that nothing is really wrong--at least not that anyone could notice.

He's off for coffee with his buddies. At least he's managed to master the new insulin system and perhaps we can dispense with the Visiting Nurse, the Physical Therapist and the Medicaid strictures on Monday.

I hate lying.

Foxfyre--

Your sister is lucky to have some hands-on TLC. I envy her.

Diane--

I intend to exploit both my son and his bride.

Right now Mr. Noddy sees no need to change the bed because the fecal stains from his bowel incontinence are so very insignificant--and he scrubbed at them at 5 a.m. this morning with a face cloth.

I had a Remicade infusion yesterday, designed to suppress my overactive immune system. I'm really very unhappy with Mr. Noddy's sanitary standards.

Last treatment, three weeks ago, was followed by Mr. Noddy being discharged from the hospital because his Internist was going on vacation.
Trying to feed balanced meals to a opinionated, senile old man nearly did me in and undoubtedly contributed to my hospitalization last week.

I have no stamina right now and I'm not going to be a Good Woman.

Mr. Noddy and his coffee buddies can sink or swim this coming weekend. I'm going to exploit my family--starting with clean sheets. Mr. Noddy is not going to be the center of attention, no matter how much he pouts and postures.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 10:28 am
Quote:
I have no stamina right now and I'm not going to be a Good Woman.

Ah, what a wondrous thing to hear. Since you are inherently a Good Woman, it is gratifying to hear that you realize that it can be toned down under dire circumstances and that it doesn't make you a Bad Woman--you just don't have it in you to go to the opposite extreme.

The bed sheets. Ugh. Using a face cloth. Oh my.

Why won't he use a little Clorox if he refuses to change the sheets?

You son and dil are coming at an important time, when you have been too weakened by your own sickness to be able to deal with Mr. Noddy. Feet up, good books, a little pampering--all vital for you, Noddy.

Enjoy.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 12:57 pm
Diane--

This time tomorrow--clean sheets.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 04:35 pm
Hmmm, maybe if you stay on your side of the bed, changing sheets might not be necessary.

Just kidding. :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 02:13 pm
I'm not exactly a gracious hostess, but I am a most appreciative one. Taking a rest from running the universe is very relaxing.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 06:11 pm
Have you seen Flash Gordon? Of course not, you're too classy for that, but it is funny and a sort of cult classic.

In one scene, his girlfriend says, "Hurry Flash, you have to save the world!" Or something similar.

Nevermind, it just isn't you. Besides, you've been running the universe and doing it quite well.

So glad you are finally relaxing.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 06:36 am
Diane--

Thanks for the kind words.

My beloved visiting firemen left yesterday. Being cosseted and pampered was wonderful, particularly since D&L also took over the roles of Caregiver and door keeper for the dog and devoted time to removing layers of physical filth and legal clutter.

Today I'm exhausted, but I'm exhausted in a clean, semi-uncluttered house. This makes a positive difference in the quality of exhaustion.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 11:46 am
Hooray for your firemen, Noddy. During those times that life mostly sucks, even a temporary respite is a truly precious gift.

The firemen (Paramedics) arrive at my house yesterday morning to take my sister back to the hospital. Her condition steadily regressed during the week she has been with me, and we became sufficiently alarmed to call for help. The last hospital stay they found 'problems with her blood' and diagnosed the thrush as resulting from antibiotics she had been taking for an infected tooth, but essentially discharged her without effecting either a cure or arriving at a diagnosis.

This time she got a different doctor who reviewed the history and immediately ordered an endoscopy and upper GI--my sister has had severe acid reflux for years so why would they not have done that before?--and ordered different blood tests that revealed a severe infection of the pancreas. Normal reading is 100 - my sister's was over 1700. She was immediately sent for an ultrasound of her pancreas which reveal severe pancreatitis but no mass/tumor.

Though the diagnosis is not a pleasant one, at least we finally have one along with assurance that it is treatable and, though serious, not likely to be fatal. Because they had to take her off all food to treat the pancreatitis, we will settle for an endoscopy of her esophagus instead of the barium swallow necessary for the full upper GI, but that should settle fears of any esophageal cancer.

So now while there are still concerns, I waver between anger at doctors who were either incompetent or just didn't care and deep appreciation for doctors who are competent and who did what they should to identify and competently treat the problem.

And I wonder if her being 'elderly' is a factor in those cases where the doctors do not care? Would they have been so 'incompetent' with a younger person? I counted the medicine bottles for different prescriptions she has been prescribed in the last six months. There are 32 of them.

I am exhausted but got my first good night's sleep in a week last night. For me things are looking up.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 11:58 am
Good call by that one md....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 01:54 pm
Foxfyre--

I'd guess that the delay in a reliable diagnosis wasn't due as much to your sister's age as to her energy level.

Pushing-pushing-pushing for medical action is a Young Woman's game.

Does she have her own family/general care doctor or was she dependent on free-floating talent?

I make sure that Mr. Noddy and I both have up-to-date lists of meds on the computer. First I call the ambulance, then I print out three copies of the meds list: one for the ambulance crew, one for the ER and one for the nurses on the floor.

I'm sure that there is a halo effect of professionalism there that doesn't hurt one bit.

This time before she's discharged, get those meds reviewed. Simple is best.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 02:13 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Foxfyre--

I'd guess that the delay in a reliable diagnosis wasn't due as much to your sister's age as to her energy level.

Pushing-pushing-pushing for medical action is a Young Woman's game.

Does she have her own family/general care doctor or was she dependent on free-floating talent?

I make sure that Mr. Noddy and I both have up-to-date lists of meds on the computer. First I call the ambulance, then I print out three copies of the meds list: one for the ambulance crew, one for the ER and one for the nurses on the floor.

I'm sure that there is a halo effect of professionalism there that doesn't hurt one bit.

This time before she's discharged, get those meds reviewed. Simple is best.

Believe me we have tried, Noddy. I can't monitor what she is currently supposed to be taking because she won't level with me and becomes angry if I inquire too strenuously. Of those 32 prescription bottles I have in my possession--that doesn't count the multiple prescriptions for the same thing--I have no idea what she is supposed to be taking and what she isn't. She says she knows and takes care of it.

What she lacks in energy level is more than made up by me, her kids, and our aunt who is an RN. Until now, we haven't been able to get answers either.

At one point she had been prescribed two blood pressure medicines by her regular physician--he recently moved out of state and did not bother to inform his patients that he was no longer their primary physician--one blood pressure medicine prescribed by her surgeon for a knee replacement, and one blood pressure medicine prescribed by an urgent care doctor. She was taking all four plus three cholesterol drugs. She tells the doctors that I (or her kids) overreact or are misstaken or lying when we have registered concerns and therefore we have little effect.

She is taking two different psychotropic drugs prescribed by different doctors and I am 90% certain she is addicted to hydrocodone.

I am not medically trained except in CPR and First Aid, but I have worked in hospitals in various capacities for too many years not to realize that a few incompetents have slipped into the medical professions. I also know medical personnel that I would trust and believe anything they tell me about anything. My sister just happens to have been cursed with too many of the first category I think.

My husband for years had a personal physician that I quite easily classify as a quack. He was a bonafide MD, but I honestly believe that had my husband not changed doctors when he did, he would have had several unnecessary surgeries by now and would never have had the one that saved his life. He has excellent doctors now.

Chalk up another good reason for the medical system to allow people to choose their doctors rather than be stuck with an assigned one.

And my sister really is seriously ill. And thank God that she does now have a doctor who knows why.
0 Replies