Mental Decline & Dependency/Coping With Aging Loved Ones

Noddy24

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 05:23 am
JPB--

Thank you.

I hope I'm being melodramatic, but I slept very fitfully last night. The edema has reached my thighs and bending my knees is difficult.

Also, I'm becoming increasingly short of breath. I have no history of heart trouble, but I don't want heart trouble, either.

I have a call in to the Gastro Expert. That office opens early.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 05:48 am
Noddy, will be keeping you in my thoughts today. I hope you get some good news.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 06:58 am
Melodrama or not, S-O-B = 911
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 07:07 am
Hugs, Miss Noddy. Please take as good care of you as you do us...
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 07:11 am
Noddy...

How are you doing?

Did you speak to someone?

Please, if you don't get to talk someone and see someone TODAY - then please go the hospital.

Firstly, you have had a fall. OK - no broken bones, but enough to shake you up and badly bruise you - anaemia will increase your bruising. Bruising - pooled blood is not good. You know that!

You are having continued swelling. If you are not able to bend your knees you cannot walk properly.

I think the time is here to go to the hospital.

No melodrama. What's phsyically happening is real. You need to sort it out. It won't go away by itself. You cannot take chances here Noddy.

PLEASE! What harm will it do. It could ...... save your life. Not melodramatic - a fact. Please see someone today. We all care about YOU. You need to see a doctor. Please girl. Do that for YOU.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 07:16 am
ehBeth posting here

Noddy - the recent fall, increased swelling, shortness of breath - don't wait to hear from anyone - call 9-1-1 or at the very least the nurses you called earlier about the edema.

please please please

It's important.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 07:20 am
echoing these sentiments
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 08:19 am
Me too, strongly.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 08:25 am
Noddy..................please. Go to the ER IMMEDIATELY. Call me neurotic, but IMO the symptoms that you have need to be checked out STAT!!!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 09:34 am
Repeating what others are recommending Noddy. The symptoms you are describing may be incidental and not serious, but they merit immediate attention. If your doctor cannot see you immediately, go to the E.R. and don't let them put you on a long waiting list there.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 10:11 am
The more I ponder this question, I must also realize the simple fact that many of us are also in that group suffering from age related physical and mental problems.

Getting old isn't for sissies.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 11:39 am
Foxfyre- One thing that I have learned. Never go to the ER yourself. Call an ambulance. If you come in on your own two feet, you may find yourself sitting in the ER waiting room interminably. An ambulance gets the staffs' attention!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 11:43 am
ok

how long do I wait to call? I don't want to upset Mr. Noddy ...

<sigh>
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 11:45 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
The more I ponder this question, I must also realize the simple fact that many of us are also in that group suffering from age related physical and mental problems.

Nope- I recently got the news that I need an aortic valve replacement. I am not happy with the hospitals in my area, so I am spending a considerable amount of time researching hospitals and doctors.

I feel like a car with 100,000 miles on it! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 11:47 am
K -well I just woke up..... and now I'm putting the kettle on for a brew for the Noddy crew...

EBGirl..... can you make a call???? Could it just be a "Hi Mr Noddy.....it's a me call" so he won't need to worry.

I thought for sure there would have been something on the board by the time I got here.... but in some ways that could be a good thing which could mean she's gone to the ER....... right????
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 11:50 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Foxfyre- One thing that I have learned. Never go to the ER yourself. Call an ambulance. If you come in on your own two feet, you may find yourself sitting in the ER waiting room interminably. An ambulance gets the staffs' attention!

I almost suggested calling an ambulance, but if you cannot afford an ambulance, that is not always a viable option unless the emergency is absolute. I do agree with what you are saying having waited in an emergency room for more than 8 hours myself a few years ago and finally giving up and using an illegal antibiotic from Mexico to treat myself. (No I didn't smuggle it in, but it was offered and I took it and it worked.)

However, if a person is complaining of pressure in the chest and shortness of breath and edema, no competent emergency staff will ignore such reported symptoms.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 11:50 am
thats my hope
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 11:53 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

Nope- I recently got the news that I need an aortic valve replacement. I am not happy with the hospitals in my area, so I am spending a considerable amount of time researching hospitals and doctors.

And that's not fun either. Did you get a second opinion or do you not think that necessary? Very good idea to research doctors and hospitals in the path of serious surgery.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 12:07 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Oh Phoenix.... I must've missed that news if you posted about it... so sorry that's all going on for you - researching the hospitals is a good plan - you need to be as comfortable as you can feel with any sort of surgery - it also gives you back some control of the situation... so keep reasearching until you find the right place. How soon/long before surgery??

I feel like a car with a 100K too.

What a bunch of beautiful classic cars tho a? :wink:
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 12:52 pm
Worried, but hoping that Noddy is getting the medical attention she needs and that she will be OK.
0 Replies