Trying To Change The Way Kids Learn Science

hilbert

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 01:13 pm
See this scary video about the way oil companies, in their greed, are trying to discredit man's effect on climate change and are saying. "scientists are just in it for the money". As a retired scientist, myself, I never met a scientist who was "in it for the money".

http://www.upworthy.com/how-oil-companies-are-trying-to-change-the-way-kids-learn-science?c=ufb1
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,212 • Replies: 12
No top replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 02:24 pm
@hilbert,
the problem isent oil companies. Its the idiot voters who keep electing legislators who vote as industry wants them too. Climate change is a fact. Anyone who denies that should be voted out of office. That would make a change in governments attitude.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 02:52 pm
@RABEL222,
As long as oil companies are allowed to keep bank-rolling politicians who vote their way, those politicians will not get voted out of office. It's that simple.
hilbert

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 02:59 pm
@RABEL222,
The real problem is that money so controls politics that those with mega-bucks, like Exxon-Mobil, can not only control politics, but now are seeking build younger generations which revere corporations over scientists.

I am a retired scientist. I have never known, in my whole career, any scientist who is "in it for the money", like kids are being taught now. All scientists I ever knew had a strong value for "scientific integrity", and were difficult, if not impossible, to buy to go against scientific findings.

Science was once mankind's ultimate source of knowledge about nature. Now, with their big bucks, Exxon-Mobil is changing school curricula to discredit the very scientists who are trying to save our Earth from being destroyed by Exxon's greed.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 03:16 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Government by the people, right, Merry?

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 03:31 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Government by the people, right, Merry?

Your words, not mine.
JTT

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 03:46 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Not my words, Merry. Surely you recognize the pablum.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 03:47 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Not my words, Merry. Surely you recognize the pablum.

Of course. Why I posted what I did.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 01:01 am
@Lustig Andrei,
I REITERATE, Its the fault of the citizen who is too stupid to vote for people who are interested in every ones welfare. If they were really interested in what their government is doing they would educate them selves in what is going on and vote for their own welfare rather than some fukin billionares welfare.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 10:02 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Of course. Why I posted what I did.

If you really do then why all the subterfuge, Merry? Why suggest, erroneously, that they are my words?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2012 09:40 pm
@JTT,
because they were ALSO your words...or did you lend your password to someone else ? Wink
JTT

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 07:54 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
The pablum obviously works on you, Fil.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 09:52 am
@JTT,
I suppose in the usage people mean what they mean...irony's aside whether you disagree or not with the dictum you certainly thought it fitted Merry's comment, the assessment was yours...the worst cliché of all is to avoid clichés just for the sake of avoiding them...
0 Replies