Grabber and "Easy Goods"

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 09:32 am
Grabber
n
(1) one who grabs.
(2) a gainful person

Do you think the definitions acceptable?
I'd like to know if there is a better word meaning "a gainful person".
"Easy money" sometimes means "illegal income". So, is there a compound noun "easy property", which means "property gained with illegal method"? For example, a thief steals goods from a shopkeeper. Can we call the goods as "easy goods"?

Context:
Ralph Nader, a consumer advocate and former Green Party presidential candidate, said today he will run for president as an independent in the 2004 election. "After careful thought and my desire to retire our supremely selected president, I've decided to run as an independent candidate for president," Nader said during an interview on NBC's "Meet the Press."

I think "my desire to retire our supremely selected president" means "my desire to retire Mr.Bush". But what does "supremely selected" mean? It sounds a sarcasm to me, because Bush defeated Al Gore just with a narrow margin of victory.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 753 • Replies: 10
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 01:58 pm
No such phrase as "easy property".

Er - what does "a gainful person" mean? That construction is not correct - and I ma not quite sure what you mean by it.

(But - it is very early in the morning.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 02:02 pm
Oh - stolen goods - or, in slang "hot property" or just "hot" - as in "That car is hot" would probably be be what you mean.

Do you mean a greedy person for grabber?

We do not use the word "grabber" much, as far as I know. We might call someone "grabby".
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 02:14 pm
Or grasping...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 03:49 pm
supremely selected = selected by the supreme court

is my guess
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 03:53 pm
Right on, NIMH - I didn't notice that one.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 02:03 am
Thanks. Very Happy

But, I doubt Bush has been selected by Supreme Court.

A gainful person: one who draws water to the one's mill. That is, a greedy person.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 02:16 am
Er - Bush WAS, in effect, selected by the Supreme Court, Oristar. Or are you joking?

He was selected by the court because the vote came down to Florida for decision, where the vote was excruciatingly close - and a bunch of votes favouring Gore were disallowed as invalid - this was taken to court - and went to the Supreme Court - who decided, as I recall, that they could not be counted in the election.

This is seen by many as meaning that Bush being president was a decision made by the Supreme Court, not the electors.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 02:32 am
Thanks dlowan. Very Happy

The Supreme Court just selected one of the counterparts, not selected a president, which was still selected by voters.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 02:35 am
Huh?

I don't agree with those who claim that it is an illegitimate presidency - cos the Supreme Court is the legal arbiter in the type of dispute that arose - but I do not understand what you mean.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 03:33 am
Yeah, Bush is a legal president, dlowan, because the decision of the Supreme Court is legal no doubt. Very Happy
0 Replies